Messages or no messages

Let us know when something isn't working correctly, or if you find a typo. Do not post complaints or suggestions here.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Messages or no messages

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I often will get an email telling me I have a new private message, and when I go to the forum at the top of the page it says I have no new messages. I go to my inbox anyway and there it is. So the email's right, but the notifier at the top of the page didn't see it or something. Good thing I checked my email or I wouldn't know there was a message for me. This behavior is inconcsistent, as sometimes it works fine. But it's not worked often enough that I brought it up.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I've had this too, a fair bit. I think the 'problem' is this - you might not notice but when you get multiple messages, it says like 'you have 4 private messages' but once you clicked on that, the phbb assumes that you have read them all, so next time you come it will say you have none.

The biggest problem here is that the 'unread' and 'read' indicators aren't easily distinguishable at first glance. I keep finding unread messages half way down my message list that are several days old.

It's no biggie. I should just be more careful. Weirdly so far this has only happened with multiple pms from the same person. That may be just co-incidence ....

j$
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Yeah, I know about that, I've had that happen too, (though I get so few pm's that I can easily tell which ones are the new ones!) This is different. I will get an email saying there's a new message in my inbox, so I will login to the forum, and the notifier at the top says I have no new messages, even though when I go to the inbox there is indeed a new message.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Actually while were on the subject, I'd like to ask the moderators to somehow enable the ability to stop those messages coming to my e-mail. In the last forum you could disable this redundant feature, but in this one, atleast I haven't found it, there is nothing in my profile that allows it to be turned off.

The read/unread messages is kinda fuzzy at times, but I've, atleast, gotten use to it and make sure I check even when sometimes it seems that I've already read it. Would be cooler to make a more visible difference between the two. Perhaps a colour change or something. Not griping though. The boards are way awesome. Just a couple of niggles.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Set "Notify on new Private Message:" to No.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx

Post by tonetripper »

The wording is strange there. I think why I may have overlooked that is because it seems as though it won't notify you on these boards in addition to the e-mail. Are you absolutely sure John that this only shuts off the e-mail notification for the PM and not the one in "You have 1 message" portion of the page? Just curious. Thanks by the way.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

I don't see how it couldn't tell you have a message when you visit the boards. I haven't checked it for myself, but I don't see how that couldn't be the option you want.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i have that option turned off, and the "you have __ new messages" thingy works for me, but i do not get e-mail.
tonetripper
Mean Street

Post by tonetripper »

Thanks. :D