Bitrate query

Let us know when something isn't working correctly, or if you find a typo. Do not post complaints or suggestions here.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Re: Bitrate query

Post by jast »

Generally, when resampling things later (or changing the sample resolution), dithering and algorithmic magic is necessary to prevent the result from sucking. Many audio tools (particularly music software) have something like this. You don't get aliasing effects by just cutting the sampling rate in half by throwing away every odd sample, or reducing the resolution by a number of bits, but if you do so, you still lose more of the benefits of the higher rates than you would if things were resampled properly.

PS. I usually encode my files at 48 KHz, leaving the decision of how to resample to the people who download the files. Were I planning to ship audio CDs, I'd probably resample to 44 KHz myself, using high quality black magic.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Yeah, DVD audio tracks are encoded at 48KHz. And then Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are both 96KHz I think. Not that it makes any perceptible difference, really.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

fluffy wrote:And then Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are both 96KHz I think.
And uncompressed. Because those disks are way too large to get full otherwise.