Can't connect

Let us know when something isn't working correctly, or if you find a typo. Do not post complaints or suggestions here.
Alex is Awake
A New Player

Can't connect

Post by Alex is Awake »

I don't know if this goes here or not, but I was wondering why I can't get to http://www.songfight.org most of the time? It all just disappears, and it's the only site that does it. Does this happen to anyone else? Can anyone help me fix it?
"At least you're not on fire." - Johnathan
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Can't connect

Post by jb »

Alex is Awake wrote:I don't know if this goes here or not, but I was wondering why I can't get to http://www.songfight.org most of the time? It all just disappears, and it's the only site that does it. Does this happen to anyone else? Can anyone help me fix it?
songfight.net is hosted on the same server. do you have this problem with songfight.net too? please run some traceroutes the next time you have this problem, save them, and when you can then access the site, run them again, then send the traceroutes to me at john.benjamin (at) gmail.com

these traceroutes will provide us with a "before and after" shot of how Internet traffic is getting (or not) from your computer to the songfight.org server.

anyone who has trouble getting to songfight.org should do the same thing. if there is an issue with routing to our server, i will need evidence to present to my provider. never having such trouble myself, i am unable to provide such evidence.

also, please tell me if, at the times when you can't connect to songfight.org, you have similar problems connecting to bradsucks.net. brad's web site uses the same provider, but is on a different server. traceroutes to bradsucks.net would also be useful, whether or not you can connect. they will help the provider diagnose the issue.

when you send me traceroutes, please take a minute to label them clearly, so that i can tell what site you're tracerouting for each instance.

How to run a traceroute: http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/tr ... route.html

JB (fyi, the guy who owns the server)
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Alex is Awake
A New Player

Post by Alex is Awake »

Yes, when I can't get to songfight.org I can't get to anything that (I assume) is on the same server. I'll run the traceroutes when it starts messing up again.

I normally don't have a problem with bradsucks.net, but then, I don't really check it as often as Song Fight.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I've been having this problem for a while, and just recently I finally brought it to jb's attention (getting tired of it going away). One of the IP blocks Verizon uses for DSL is unable to route to songfight.org/net, and ev1's idiot tech support people think it's because I'm "running a proxy" (which I'm not).

Something is failing to cooperate between this particular Verizon IP block and this particular EV1 server, and as a result I haven't been able to participate here much since I usually don't have time to post here while at work and the only decent (and secure) proxy I have access to right now is a huge pain to use.

Anyway, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. Believe it or not but I hate being a squeaky wheel. :P
Alex is Awake
A New Player

Post by Alex is Awake »

I'm on Verizon DSL too. I spent an hour and a half on the phone yesterday trying to get through to tech support, figuring it was their fault, and they were all busy. It makes me wonder whether anyone's actually working there, or if they all just went to lunch and never came back.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Hooray. Verizon sucks. And I'm not going to spend hours on hold on my cellphone (or my Verizon landline, for that matter, what with having their cheapest rate plan where all calls cost like 3 cents a minute just so I could save like $4 on my phonebill). They REALLY need some sort of web/email-based tech support like Earthlink had.

(Of course, Earthlink's tech support is why I <a href="http://trikuare.cx/mt/archives/000480.php">didn't consider going with them again</a> when I moved to NY.)
Alex is Awake
A New Player

Post by Alex is Awake »

Web based tech support creeps me out. I always think I'm talking to a robot, because they always seem to add spaces before periods.

Verizon does have e-mail support, but more likely than not it'll get directed to the wrong department, like mine has been.

And gosh, calling in just makes my brain die. "We would like to share some tips with you! Simply powering down your modem and PC can fix many problems," twice a minute with Native American music playing in the background... what can you listen to to block that out? They should have a special number for people who aren't dumb to call.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I don't mean live tech support, I mean, like, trouble ticket stuff. Well-done trouble ticket systems can save people a lot of hassle while getting issues directed to the people who need to see them.

Unfortunately, most trouble-ticket systems seem to still go through the same processes as telephone support - even with good metadata they're still pre-filtered through clueless minimum-wage trained monkeys.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Woo, I'm actually connceted from home, because Verizon saw fit to give me one of the non-shitty IP addresses.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

JB tells me that he had upgraded the firewall software, which is why I've been able to connect from one of the previously-non-connecting IP addresses now. Yay!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

fluffy wrote:pre-filtered through clueless minimum-wage trained monkeys.
be nicer.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I start out nice and assume that the person on the other end is trying to do their job. They always prove me wrong.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

FYI Songfight.org & .net vanished yesterday.
I couldn't run a traceroute as I didn't know how. Now I do, the next time (if ever) it happens I will.
There it is then.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I am having a very bizarre day... our internet connection for the WHOLE plant does not seem to work...can't connect to MSN, can't connect to TSN, Can't connect to google...can't even connect to our company website...the only site I can connect to, and ONLY from my personal PC...is the songfight message boards!!! WTF? 20 something PC's in the plant can't connect to the net... only I can.. and only to this forum.

WTF?????

A bizzare situation to say the least...
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Like you need any other site?

Most likely explanation is that your DNS is down and songfight.net's DNS entry is still cached on your computer.
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Hilarious. The funny thing is, my co-worker, who has a thing for poker stars... can connect to poker stars!! Awesome... we both can do our social stuff online, yet all the email and "work related functions" (yeah.... right buddies!!!) can't connect...funny.

I suppose I'd better maintain this connection so that we don't lose all connection with the outside world!!

P.S. thanks for the tip Fluffy... I'm on the phone with the DNS provider right now...suffering through the labourious musiak process...
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Even a cached and in-use DNS entry will eventually expire.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

For some reason, when I try to load http://www.songfight.org/ right now, I get a blank page. When I "View Source" the body HTML tag is empty. It looks like the head tag has the proper contents, though. Anybody else seeing this?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Works for me, but the songfight.org root page should just forward you on to black/ or white/. What browser are you using? It might be configured to ignore redirects for some reason.

Also, I see it's using a meta refresh instead of a Location: header. That's easy to fix and much more generic (it's the mechanism the server uses to tell your browser that you should be at e.g. http://songfight.org/black/ instead of http://songfight.org/black - those are two different URLs with different semantics for relative links).