phpBB problems from around the time of Review-o-Matic

Let us know when something isn't working correctly, or if you find a typo. Do not post complaints or suggestions here.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

phpBB problems from around the time of Review-o-Matic

Post by king_arthur »

This thread is to move our discussion of various phpBB problems out of the Review-o-Matic thread over here to Quality Control.

Currently, I believe my only problem is that, when I am using the "prosilver" theme, I do not seem to be seeing a link to "view active topics." Under the MWR theme, I am seeing this. I can easily work around this by using MWR, or by creating a firefox link to view active topics if I'm working in prosilver. For the time being, I'll use MWR, which means that, at the moment, I am not having a problem.

[EDIT: roymond's post, below, agrees with what I'm seeing. At the "whole board" level, it's there, but as soon as I go into any topics, it goes away... also happens in the Absolution theme. ]

Anybody else who is not seeing the "delete" and "edit" buttons for your posts on the board, doesn't seem to be able to turn BBcode on or off, is seeing quotes displayed wrongly... please post here. Please mention the theme you are using and the language setting you have. See User Control Panel - Board Preferences to check this info.

I would like to see a link to songfight.org on the forum pages under the MWR theme, but I've been told this is not likely to be added. Easy workaround for that, as well.

By the way, the save draft mechanism does now work for me. When I go to the post message screen, the choices below now include preview / submit / save draft / load draft / cancel. So I could use that with the Review-o-Matic to review a few songs, save as a draft, and go back later to review more, and then post it once I've reviewed all the songs. So whatever you changed, it fixed that part as well.

Charles (KA)
Last edited by king_arthur on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Re: phpBB problems from around the time of Review-o-Matic

Post by jb »

It's difficult to tell why the permissions changed, but there may be a bug in the PHPBB configs that caused some unknown side-effect when I activated the capability to embed PHP into theme templates.

I may wind up resetting everybody's permissions and redoing the groups and whatnot from scratch.

If you are seeing changes to the way the forums work for you, post them here with details please.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

I made a couple changes to the MWR header, just for you Charles.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

It's also quite likely that when I reinstalled phpBB3 a few months ago to fix all the accumulated problems, a bunch of bogus settings that were specific to the old templates stuck around.

I've also noticed that even as a board admin I don't have the ability to edit or delete other peoples' posts, although I can lock and delete threads or make them sticky or whatever.

Basically, phpBB3 is pretty fragile and its permissions system is put together with kleenex and off-brand silvered tape.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

jb wrote:I made a couple changes to the MWR header, just for you Charles.
Well, thank you very much!

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Is adding "view active topics" really a big change to make? I too would miss this if I switched to ProSilver.
I've used the other silver style up until now because it's mellow...like me :)
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

roymond wrote:Is adding "view active topics" really a big change to make? I too would miss this if I switched to ProSilver.
I've used the other silver style up until now because it's mellow...like me :)
Active topics should be in prosilver-- it's a user permissions issue, not a theme issue. Just gotta figure out what permission to add to Charles's user so that shows up. It's stupid that it would even be affected by permissions (if indeed that's the case as I am assuming).

JB
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

jb wrote:Active topics should be in prosilver-- it's a user permissions issue, not a theme issue. Just gotta figure out what permission to add to Charles's user so that shows up. It's stupid that it would even be affected by permissions (if indeed that's the case as I am assuming).

JB
I only see it at the board index level. Once you go to any other level it disappears (along with View New Posts). It should always be there, imho. They should all be alongside "view your posts" on that line, making better use of all that wasted space up in the header region.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

roymond wrote:
jb wrote:Active topics should be in prosilver-- it's a user permissions issue, not a theme issue. Just gotta figure out what permission to add to Charles's user so that shows up. It's stupid that it would even be affected by permissions (if indeed that's the case as I am assuming).

JB
I only see it at the board index level. Once you go to any other level it disappears (along with View New Posts). It should always be there, imho. They should all be alongside "view your posts" on that line, making better use of all that wasted space up in the header region.
OHHHHHHH, well yes, that's the way it's always been in prosilver, and it does aggravate me too. I always have to go back to the index to get back to new topics. Ok, so this isn't a bug that I caused, it's an enhancement request for prosilver. ;)

JB
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

BBCode/smilies and editing/deleting posts is disabled for regular users in the announcements forum. It still works in other forums, so probably unrelated to themes issues. My guess is that when you allowed replies by regular users in that forum, you didn't enable the crapload of other standard permissions along the way, because why should phpBB do the work for you...
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

Hemphill. Yeah, that may explain it. Good looking' out Jast.

JB