Podcasting for Songfight!?

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Here that is in Bloglines feedreader:
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

roymond wrote:Here that is in Bloglines feedreader:
Yeah, hm, not quite right from a semantics point of view. Any idea of how to Songfight fit into the RSS model better? After all, the channel isn't changing its name for each title, and the title of the song is not the same thing as the artist...
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Probably could do it like "Song Fight: Rule of Thump" and title "Abecedarian"
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Yeah, and we'd prolly want to use permalinks rather than the current fight colors.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

That's kind of a bad shoehorning though.

Maybe it'd work better to just have a single RSS feed for all four fights, and just one enclosure which is a .torrent to all the songs. That'd also help with bandwidth issues as well.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

fluffy wrote:That's kind of a bad shoehorning though.

Maybe it'd work better to just have a single RSS feed for all four fights, and just one enclosure which is a .torrent to all the songs. That'd also help with bandwidth issues as well.
Yes. Torrent works well with this, apparently. Would definately help.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

well, i'm not prepared to have an extra zipped copy of the songs sitting on the server if that's what it takes to torrent them. disk space is more precious to me than bandwidth right now.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

We have been talking about having an RSS feed for a bit though, so I will peruse the suggestions above. Seems like a better way to go. Any further thoughts post them here, cuz I'm gonna do something soon...
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

You don't need an extra zipped copy for the torrent. A torrent can reference an entire directory.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

Huh? Torrents don't make any sense unless iPodder or whatever RSS reader knows how to fetch torrents (I'm assuming it doesn't). And even then, it's just another unnecessary step. The whole point of podcasting is simplicity for the end user - the SongFight songs magically show up on your iPod without you needing to do anything.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

iPodder doesn't, but <a href="http://azureus.sf.net/">Azureus</a> does - it's a BitTorrent client with an embedded RSS scraper (actually two to choose from). I use it to subscribe to legaltorrents.com's music section, as well as a few other sources of media.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

fluffy wrote:iPodder doesn't, but <a href="http://azureus.sf.net/">Azureus</a> does - it's a BitTorrent client with an embedded RSS scraper (actually two to choose from). I use it to subscribe to legaltorrents.com's music section, as well as a few other sources of media.
If iPodder doesn't support it, it seems like a non-issue. It'd be like a band releasing all their music clips in the Ogg Vorbis format but not MP3. It might be technically superior, but your visitors aren't going to jump through hoops to do it.

Podcasting is obscure enough as it is - the number of people who would go to the hassle of using a more obscure torrent-supporting podcasting client could probably be counted on one hand. Or one finger. ;-)

It's not as if this would generate enough bandwidth to make this a concern. MP3s good. Torrents bad.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I bet there's more Azureus users out there than iPodder users.

Anyway, no reason they couldn't provide TWO feeds.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

There are torrent-friendly Podcast clients. But I agree, that right now it's not a big deal. I thought that torrents only really make sense under two conditions: there's a large demand for large files. If either condition isn't there then more granular/direct download methods do the job better. But I'm not familiar with torrenting directories and whether that changes anything.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Anyway, iPodder does support torrents, which I found with a 30-second Google search. Read up on it first, plsthx. (That was directed more at me than Josh.)

Torrenting directories makes a huge difference - a torrent of a 100MB directory has the same savings etc. as a torrent of a 100MB file. The torrent treats the directory as one big file, essentially (it's not one separate seed per file or anything).
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

The IndieFeed is a model of how this thing can work. There can be a feed for each of the colors and a master one that covers everything (color blind). IndieFeed delivers a bunch of songs everyday but SF would only deliver on the release date for each fight, plus late comers (those where the links were screwed up or when June swears he sent it...) would be delivered the next time podcatchers sync the feed automatically. Oh, and it would be sans-intros, obviously.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Hi!
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Yeah, isn't that a hoot? Saw that this morning. So cool that podcasting can swim upstream, too. Not sure how long that will last but it's a brilliant idea.
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

With Roymond's help, I put together an experimental "Songfight! Current Fights" podcast feed. I've been sitting on it for a while, and it seems to work:

Basically, you add the feed's URL to your podcast client (e.g. iPodder). Then whenever iPodder checks for updates, it'll download the latest Songfight! songs that are up for voting.

What's cool: you can rate them in iTunes, they are ID3-tagged so you easily know the artist and song title, and they download automagically so your right-clicking finger can take a break. Each song is still a separate file and retains its original bitrate.

What's not cool: ID3-tagged artwork is NOT included, no unique intros/narrative bits are added to the feed, and the feed's XML might not conform to RSS specs (this is unverified).

Obligatory disclaimers: This is experimental, and could break/disappear at any time. It is not an official service, and is not endorsed by songfight.org. To avoid typo issues and accommodate late entries, the new songs might not appear on the podcast feed until several hours after they are released to the official site. Feel free to PM me if you notice a problem or run into errors.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Apple On Board: Podcasting Turf Battle Heats Up

The competition to be the podcasting portal-of-choice has just gained a new player. Apple says it will release a new version of its iTunes media player that will support finding, filtering and synchronizing MP3 files with an iPod player. The new version of iTunes is reportedly due in about 60 days.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Apple is awesome for supporting RSS.

I wonder if this means they'll support BitTorrent too.
Fusty Nut
A New Player

Podcasting

Post by Fusty Nut »

Plat,

Thanks for setting this up! I love it!!
Anne
The Nutwalls

"A fusty nut with no kernel."
-Troilus and Cressida, 2.1