What's up with the name?

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
3mcee 3mpeethree
A New Player

What's up with the name?

Post by 3mcee 3mpeethree »

Okay, Why's my name spelled wrong on the Start Over fight? I'm not angry, I just want a fair go. Or at least my name spelled right the next time I enter.
Christalicious!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Re: What's up with the name?

Post by jb »

3mcee 3mpeethree wrote:Okay, Why's my name spelled wrong on the Start Over fight? I'm not angry, I just want a fair go. Or at least my name spelled right the next time I enter.
fightmaster jr. has poor short term memory, that's why. sr. will fix it if he notices this post.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

MC Denyer + Crapalot should be MC's Denyer + Crapalot, since we are both equally MCs.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Denyer wrote:MC Denyer + Crapalot should be MC's Denyer + Crapalot, since we are both equally MCs.
No it should be MCs Denyer + Crapalot. A plural does not require an apostrophe; or if you want to mark out the abbreviations it would M.Cs (which I grant you looks dumb). As you have punctuated it, it means an anonymous MC owns Denyer and Crapalot.

:cry:

Johnny The Grammar Grandma.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

j$ wrote:
Denyer wrote:MC Denyer + Crapalot should be MC's Denyer + Crapalot, since we are both equally MCs.
No it should be MCs Denyer + Crapalot. A plural does not require an apostrophe; or if you want to mark out the abbreviations it would M.Cs (which I grant you looks dumb). As you have punctuated it, it means an anonymous MC owns Denyer and Crapalot.

:cry:

Johnny The Grammar Grandma.
I knew this, and I don't know why the ' is there (the second time I didn't put it in). I put MCs Denyer & Crap-A-Lot in the email.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

frequently with abbreviations -- particularly ones including capital letters -- or single letters/numbers, the pluralised form would include an apostrophe, at least in my experience:

I have a lot of mp3's in my collection.
This semester I got three A's and two C's.
All of my CD's were stolen!

etc.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

j$ wrote:...an anonymous MC owns Denyer and Crapalot.
I have a whole list here, I just can't decide which one...
🤠
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

tviyh wrote:frequently with abbreviations -- particularly ones including capital letters -- or single letters/numbers, the pluralised form would include an apostrophe, at least in my experience:

I have a lot of mp3's in my collection.
This semester I got three A's and two C's.
All of my CD's were stolen!

etc.
This misuse of the correct rules of grammar is frequent but it doesn't make it right. Johnny the Grammar Grandma raps your knuckles with a steel-tipped ruler for answering back :)
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

The Sober Irishman wrote:
j$ wrote:...an anonymous MC owns Denyer and Crapalot.
I have a whole list here, I just can't decide which one...
Hahaha! Perhaps the next MCDC entry should start with this line ...

J$
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

and yet the venerable new york times pluralizes DVD as DVD's...
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

jb wrote:and yet the venerable new york times pluralizes DVD as DVD's...
Wasn't it the New York Times that released a headline (albeit online, but still): "Saddam Could Of Had WMD's"?

All of tviyh's examples are among my pet grammatical peeves. Downloading MP3s. Buying CDs. Getting straigt Cs.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

Generic wrote:
jb wrote:and yet the venerable new york times pluralizes DVD as DVD's...
Wasn't it the New York Times that released a headline (albeit online, but still): "Saddam Could Of Had WMD's"?

All of tviyh's examples are among my pet grammatical peeves. Downloading MP3s. Buying CDs. Getting straigt Cs.
Use an apostrophe when pluralizing letters. Getting straight C's.
And numbers for that matter. Three 6's.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

j$ wrote: if you want to mark out the abbreviations it would M.Cs (which I grant you looks dumb).
As long as we're all being pedants: Abbreviated it would be M.C.'s. Like how you have a professor who has two Ph.D.'s.

Also, if there were multiple bands called Son Of Supercar, even without the abbreviation they would be SOS's, to separate the final "S" from the pluralizing "s". If both SOS's collaborated on a song, well, I can't imagine the ensuing ambiguity.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Once you guys make up your minds, it will be changed. In the meanwhile, some food for thought. This is a pet peeve of mine, and I usuall defer to <a href="http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/">these guys</a>, but in this case, there may be some wiggle room, as <a href="http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/ ... tml">these guys<a> seem to be lightening up a little, at least with respect to LOWER CASE abbrevations. Make some sense to me.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Spud wrote:Once you guys make up your minds, it will be changed. In the meanwhile, some food for thought. This is a pet peeve of mine, and I usuall defer to <a href="http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/">these guys</a>, but in this case, there may be some wiggle room, as <a href="http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/ ... tml">these guys<a> seem to be lightening up a little, at least with respect to LOWER CASE abbrevations. Make some sense to me.
The text after "these guys" acts like a hyperlink when you scroll over it, but doesn't do anything. What's up with that?

edit: oh, you forgot your '/'
🤠
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Spud wrote:Once you guys make up your minds, it will be changed. In the meanwhile, some food for thought. This is a pet peeve of mine, and I usuall defer to <a href="http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/">these guys</a>, but in this case, there may be some wiggle room, as <a href="http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/ ... tml">these guys<a> seem to be lightening up a little, at least with respect to LOWER CASE abbrevations. Make some sense to me.
Good links, Spud. Yeah, that lower-case letters example does make sense. Because it would have to be a's, not as.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

jb wrote:And numbers for that matter. Three 6's.
Of course, realizing that you must be addressing the character 6 rather than the number six. Numbers up to ten are spelled out. Be very mindful of this rule. It's important.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Regarding using apostrophes for plurals with letter or numbers:

I was checking my sister's (8th grade) English homework, when she was going over this particular subject. I was about to mark it all wrong, because she used apostrophes to pluralize Cs and 9s and so on. Then I looked at the directions at the top which explain how to do it correctly, and it states that using apostrophes to pluralize numbers or single letters is correct. That's what the kids are being taught today, folks.
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

Forget where I heard, but I think both with-apostrophe and no-apostrophe are correct. Though this is just the kind of subtlety that might be different country to country.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Denyer wrote:MC Denyer + Crapalot should be ...
or we could curtail this entire lenghthy discourse by changing to...

"MC Denyer + MC Crapalot" :)
3mcee 3mpeethree
A New Player

Post by 3mcee 3mpeethree »

Well, my name's spelled right so I'm happy.
Christalicious!
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

speaking of which, this week my name is spelled with a period after the C, which isn't right. It doesn't make much of a difference in the fight, but when it goes to the archive, it creates seperate listings (one for "c hack" and one for "c. hack"). You can see the problem in my "say the word." Which would be cool if it got fixed at some point.

Also, it's probably best to merge "c hack feat. Henriettta and prosthetic johnson" into "c hack," if that's possible. I think it's annoying when I'm scrolling through my mp3's to see a bunch of "feat. whoever" listings for the same artist.

thanks!
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>