Explicit

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

ours kids sing along with Modest Mouse songs all the time - they just sing very quietly on or skip the bad words. same thing for the entire "in an Aeroplane Over the Sea" album. there's lots of adult-themed shit in there, but wtf ever. it's not hard to teach kids the difference between polite conversation and art, ya know.

kids should be rockers, not prissy freaks.
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jefff »

Kids should be rockers.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Jefff wrote:Kids should be rockers.
reminds me, i need to send you that "ALISHA" from LA.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

blue wrote: kids should be rockers, not prissy freaks.
We have had the same experience with spudnut, blue. You know, when you teach kids, they have this amazing capacity to learn, and to understand the explitives in their own way.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

j$ wrote:Perhaps offending artists could have Parental Advisory logos tatooed on their forearms?

Actually, the one time I have written what I considered to be an 'explicit' lyric (Johnny Grippo's 'Shower Scene') I added 'warning: rude words ahead' and a 5 second gap at the start of the track. Confused the hell out of people! Actually got several 'don't get the start / don't like the opening' style reviews :)

j$
ahem. you did write lyrics for "waiting takes time" that were on this side of explicit.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Ummm I dunno about that ... sure conceptually it's pretty disgusting but there are no swear words in it.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

j$ wrote:Ummm I dunno about that ... sure conceptually it's pretty disgusting but there are no swear words in it.
there are some artists i wouldn't play around kids, but j$ falls into the category of artists i wouldn't play around my mother.
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

I've been posting my lyrics before the songs are up because I want potential listeners (especially song fight regulars with kids) to be able to read 'em and choose if they want to play my song in headphones... hell, or even if they wanna play it at all :).
"You’re a little like heroin..." - Smalltown Mike
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

fodroy wrote:
j$ wrote:Ummm I dunno about that ... sure conceptually it's pretty disgusting but there are no swear words in it.
there are some artists i wouldn't play around kids, but j$ falls into the category of artists i wouldn't play around my mother.
I wouldn't worry - I play around with your mother a lot. :)

j$
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

That's after...
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

j$ wrote:That's after...

see?!! SEEE!?!

you are a dirty man.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

but not explicit. The master of the 1.5 entendre perhaps.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

jb wrote:Song Fight is not for children or the easily offended.
nor have the songs been updated in like 5 days. jb pooped.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I was listening to one of this weeks songs and my mom was trying to get me to help my sister, and as soon as she started paying attention to the singing, the singer was like F&CK this S#!T etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. I don't have a huge problem with this myself, since it was pretty funny, but I can see where a lot of you are coming from.
DJ Big Dick
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by DJ Big Dick »

My song for 'Bad Cat,' which isn't even half done yet, has about 8 fucks every 7 seconds. Not to mention so much robot voice that it is illegal in Quatar.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

j$ wrote: Actually, the one time I have written what I considered to be an 'explicit' lyric (Johnny Grippo's 'Shower Scene') I added 'warning: rude words ahead' and a 5 second gap at the start of the track. Confused the hell out of people! Actually got several 'don't get the start / don't like the opening' style reviews :)

j$
Way back during "Thematics 101," your "Night of the Creeps" had you yelling out repeatedly "Night of the muthafuckin' creeeps!" My roommate hated it with a firey passion.

And I'm not sure whether you used any foul language, but your "Two Perverts in Love" song from the same project made explicit reference to certain sex acts.

Just sayin'.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't think I've ever used foul language to the point of bad taste (aside from the WTF in every single Frontalittle Squad song), though I have cursed from time to time. Big Mistake's "Bad Attraction" had the word "tit" in it, and my "Red Flag" has "shit" in the chorus. If there were to be an opt-in parental advisory system on Songfight, I'd use it where appropriate.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Generic wrote:your "Night of the Creeps" ....My roommate hated it with a firey passion.
Good point. Although that probably had little to do with the language :) I was talking songfight specifically, 'cos if you included my AADs and other outside stuff, the rude-claen ratio does wobble a little. Although from memory, the vast majority of my rude songs, like 2 perverts in love, are double entendre-based and don't actually include any of the rudey words. Even Shower Scene's most shocking line is 'call me Mr Toilet'

Just sayin'.