Long fights

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I thought "all y'all" was the plural one.
Also, my neighbor always said "yous" which I think is slightly different from "youse".
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

HeuristicsInc wrote:Also, my neighbor always said "yous" which I think is slightly different from "youse".
-bill
How can you tell, if he was saying not writing it?

J$
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

The 'E' is not silent. Also, she.
"Yous" sounds like "yooz" and "youse" sounds like "yoose." I think.
Is this important? :)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

HeuristicsInc wrote:The 'E' is not silent. Also, she.
"Yous" sounds like "yooz" and "youse" sounds like "yoose." I think.
Is this important? :)
-bill
Yooz = yoose the way I would say them.

Is anything? :)
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Youse guys stopped complaining... or maybe not... I dunno.
My suggestion of the day: MORE MUSIC.

Of course, this is directed at myself. Hopefully this week will bring that about and YOUSE all can potentially enjoy it.

Or not.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Whenever anyone says "youse" it makes me think of that lead guy on Sha Na Na with the huge mouth who sort of dressed like Fonzy.

And "y'all" makes me think of Hee Haw.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Bouser.

Bowser.

That's his name anyway. I loved that show as a kid...dip dip dip dow... sha na na na, sha na na na na na.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

The plural form of you is "Y'all." If someone tries to tell you that "y'all" is singular, or to use "All y'all," then bitch slap them for me. Jeff Foxworthy will back me up on this (The Southern Dictionary, or whatever that god-awful book is called, has a page-long rant about how the word "y'all" is STRICTLY a plural pronoun).
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

joke, joneric, joke!
where's that "these are the jokes" picture... that should be an emoticon.
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Yeah, so was mine. :oops:
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Generic wrote:Yeah, so was mine. :oops:

No, I don't think so man. I think you were serious. Yeah, and now you're trying to cover up... but we're on to you.

Damn Leetist, think you're better than everyone....
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Generic wrote:The plural form of you is "Y'all." If someone tries to tell you that "y'all" is singular, or to use "All y'all," then bitch slap them for me. Jeff Foxworthy will back me up on this (The Southern Dictionary, or whatever that god-awful book is called, has a page-long rant about how the word "y'all" is STRICTLY a plural pronoun).
Can I just bitchslap you instead, because "all y'all" is a perfectly acceptable phrase, and the meaning is quite different from "y'all". You live in Ohio.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Whether Joneric was joking or not, I firmly agree that "y'all" is only to be used as a plural. "All y'all" is clearly redundant--"all you all." I say "y'all" regularly. It's quite useful.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

If standing before a group of people, and I say "I hate you", this can have many meanings: I hate one of you, or I hate some of you, or I hate all of you.

If standing before a group of people, and I say " I hate y'all": this can mean different things: I hate some of you, I hate all of you.

If I say "I hate all y'all", that means that I hate the entire group of people.

Y'all != all of you
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

What's this thread about again?
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

i hate all y'all
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Right.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

#1: despite being a contraction for "you all", "y'all" is clearly just a plural form of "you". "all y'all" or "all of y'all" (or more commonly "alla y'all") is not redundant, it clearly indicates not just a couple of y'all but ALL of y'all.

#2:
Puce wrote:J$ ... said "I know this is the right place for it 'n'all, but sheesh, guys, does the grass always have to be greener?". ... I read J$'s question as "Does it always have to be so negative all the time?"
i didn't see it that way; to me it seemed more like "everyone has suggestions for how things could be improved for them, but can't we just be happy with the way things are?" i.e., the grass appears it would be greener on the other side (the other side being an alternate version of songfight with longer fights or with three or two weekly fights or WHATEVER the suggestion du jour is) but can't we be happy with the grass we have now?
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Since you asked the thread was originally my suggestion the we have one title every few months or so wherein we get a 3 week deadline, to throw a bone to:
* people who are too busy to work up a song in a week
* people who want to collaborate with another songfighter and need that extra time
* people who wish they could work a little more on a song sometimes
* bands who can only meet once a week
* people who are interested in writing something a little longer
* people who don't want to submit just anything and hold themselves to a higher standard than one week usually permits
* overworked fightmasters who can rest from setting up new fights for a couple weeks

I also suggested advance notice of when these long fights would be so people could plan on them (but no advance notice of what the title is, of course).

(I also bitched a bit because too many people, including FM's, failed to agree that it's a good idea.)

On the other topic, you could say "all y'all" as in "I wanted to have longer fights every once in a while but all y'all could say in response was it was a bad idea."
Last edited by Jim of Seattle on Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Voice: Meh, synonyms. Negative all the time = Unhappy all the time = Unhappy no matter what. I think we're talking about the same thing. The problem with telling people they should be happy is that it doesn't ever make them happy. However, giving people chocolate usually does. Unfortunately I have yet to discover how to give someone chocolate over the internet. If anyone has found a way, feel free to test it out on me. :idea:
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i'm pretty sure the question of this thread's purpose was sarcastic.

furthermore, if you wanted to emphasise the overwhelmingly negative response from EVERYONE:

"I wanted to have longer fights every once in a while but all all y'all could say in response was it was a bad idea."
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

tviyh] [quote="Puce wrote:J$ ... said "I know this is the right place for it 'n'all, but sheesh, guys, does the grass always have to be greener?". ... I read J$'s question as "Does it always have to be so negative all the time?"
i didn't see it that way; to me it seemed more like "everyone has suggestions for how things could be improved for them, but can't we just be happy with the way things are?" i.e., the grass appears it would be greener on the other side (the other side being an alternate version of songfight with longer fights or with three or two weekly fights or WHATEVER the suggestion du jour is) but can't we be happy with the grass we have now?[/quote]

To be honest I can't recall exactly what slightly psychotic self-obsessed trip I was on when I posted it :) I think I meant (concentrating now) 'why are we having this ocnversation? The fightmasters have made their decision, and the loveliness of songfight has not diminished considerably as a result. Can't we just enjoy the coolest web place that I have yet to come across (at least the coolest that doesn't involve naked people)?' taking into account that I was one of the people who a mere few pages earlier was having a right old moan about going back to two fights.

I hope that answers the question. Although, it must be admitted, I like the confusion :)

J$

ps I can't figure out how to close the quotes on this properly. sorry.