forum forum forum forum mushroom mushroom

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

forum forum forum forum mushroom mushroom

Post by mkilly »

Okay, so we have fifteen forums over four topics. Can we do any streamlining, here?

I think maybe we should have a single Announcements forum, at the top, combining Announcements -> Song Fight! and Announcements -> Forums.

I'd probably see much more resistance if I were to advocate combining Ye Olde Lyric Archive, Collabs, and Concerts and Events into perhaps "Errata," but I think it might be sensible to do something like that. I don't know exactly what.

Why isn't Quality Control and Complaints and Suggestions a single forum? Quality Control is perhaps too concise; I don't see why combining them would be bad. As it is there's a lot of crosstalk, I think.

Maybe "Help and How To" could be moved up to the "Song Fight!" header, and "Currently Digging" could be moved to its comrades Movies and Books under "Miscellaneous Debris."

Just my thoughts.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

What is wrong with having 15 forums?
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

I can think of one thread we can get rid of.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Spud wrote:I can think of one thread we can get rid of.
That was Fightmaster Jr.-esque cold.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i think the "books" and "movies" forums could be combined -- there is already a lot of cross-posting with movies based on books and whatnot. and while we're at it, the combined book/movie forum should also include television, because the "currently digging" thread in the "general music" section is being contaminated by icky tv show discussions...
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Life is so hard, n'est pas?
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

Combining 'Books' and 'Movies' would be a bad move. BAD I say.
Splitting movies into decades might be a good idea, then again if the FM's think it's a bad idea, so do I.</toady>
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

what we need more of are forums.
like if there were seventy-eight of them, that would totally make my day.
there aren't enough different places you have to click around looking for new messages, yet.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

tviyh wrote:what we need more of are forums.
like if there were seventy-eight of them, that would totally make my day.
there aren't enough different places you have to click around looking for new messages, yet.
What we need more of is dancing girls wearing spud masks. Like, if there were a hundred dancing girls wearing spud masks who high-kicked through my office around this time every day, it would totally make everything wonderful for me me me. Can someone here organise that, please? There aren't enough dancing girls to hand when you need them.

There is however one button. 'Read posts since last visit.' :p

j$
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

damnit j$, i'm never going to catch up with you if you keep replying to everything i say!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

tviyh wrote:damnit j$, i'm never going to catch up with you if you keep replying to everything i say!
I know :)
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

j$ wrote: There is however one button. 'Read posts since last visit.' :p

j$
Yeah, but it's a delicate button... you keep one thread open for a while..it counts as a visit...and if you accidently click away from the message board without going through all of those... you lose.

Then you are having to do the 'click through'...

I'm all for combining some of this. I fully endorse it.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I am for full combination of nothing.

Isn't there something more important to complain about than the number of threads and forums?? I for one think it's great. It's a little world to explore every morning... and if I'm lucky, all day!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

tviyh wrote:i think the "books" and "movies" forums could be combined -- there is already a lot of cross-posting with movies based on books and whatnot. and while we're at it, the combined book/movie forum should also include television, because the "currently digging" thread in the "general music" section is being contaminated by icky tv show discussions...
No.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

What's so difficult about things the way they are now? I think it's set up conveniently.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

I did just make a Television forum, so people wouldn't keep posting about TV in the Currently Digging forum. :P Besides, I like TV, should've done that before.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Noticed it (and posted to it) before the mention, even. Yeah, that's one that should be there.
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

Someone should set up a Bayesian algorithm to infer the preferred thread content for each user so that when User X logs on, the page can categorize threads into "Threads X is following", "Threads X should read", "Threads X might like to read", and "X should ignore these."

Since the fightmasters (appear to) work pro bono, I suggest that each of us set up such a filter that runs locally.

Since I have limited computer programming skills, I'm going to install the filter in my brain. That way, my mind and memory will do the work for me, and I won't have to ask anyone else to take the responsibility for organizing my thoughts and communications.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

So, uh, Mostess? Are you implying that when we log onto the site, we should only go the the threads that interest us?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

Generic wrote:So, uh, Mostess? Are you implying that when we log onto the site, we should only go the the threads that interest us?
That's a good idea.

(Really, I'm implying that I want to raise my post-count by making facile jokes. And that people sound silly when they complain about having to do a little thinking. I used to do usability research, so I'm being a bit disingenuous, but this is site is hardly a commercial enterprise; and it's shockingly professional for its hobbyist origins. And you may infer that I'm not very clever before lunch. Nor after lunch, but I'll post again later to make that point clearer.)
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i already do this.. the television forum i ignore completely, the movie one i scan for ones i have seen or heard of, help-and-how-to i glance at but usually don't feel like reading, etc etc etc. then "mark all forums as read" when i've seen the rest of the stuff that does matter to me.

any complaining i have done in this thread or any other, is mostly just for the sake of complaining. i'm not in charge, and the people who ARE have done a swell job organising things so everybody can rant and rave about whatever subjects they want.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

tviyh wrote:iany complaining i have done in this thread or any other, is mostly just for the sake of complaining.
With your permission, this may become my signature-du-jour.

J$