post moderation

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Communities are not entitled to free-speech by definition.

A person who pays for a website gets to decide how to run it.

It is, in fact, his decision to make.

It's his messageboard, and you are using it.
Oracle
A New Player

ellipse

Post by Oracle »

Wow... Censorship is one thing, but changing what people say is not appropriate.
Why can't the admin just add a post saying what they want to add to the conversation and sign it.
If they want to have a fake handle that's just for thier use, that's pretty common among people in thier shoes. Censorship can seem to make sense at times, as can editing and editorializing (which is what I think he's trying to do more of here) but adding to what someone says or making what they say different without preserving the intent or while changing the intent is not good for the community.
And just to make a point, 15-16 Puzzle, are you familiar with John Locke's theory of the social contract? If the community doesn't like it here because the admins are not being responsible the community has a right to leave the community or found thier own. Neither of these is what I think the admins want, nor is it going to help songfight (which is the point of the boards).

Just weighing in.
~ Oracle

Go here because I said so: FRONTLINE
If you don't know what frontline is, watch one of the free streaming episodes. It's an award winning documentary series by PBS & WGBH in Boston.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

if someone is frustrated enough with the way things are done around here to leave, then good riddance. don't let the door hit you on the way out. don't ever think you are doing anyone a favor with your presence.

plenty of folks have been around here a long time (relatively speaking) and think things are just fine.

a passive moderator is a bit of an oxymoron i think.
Hi!
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Okay, who's teaching these kids to reference Locke in message boards?

Moving discussions? What's wrong with that? People post threads in topic groups where they don't belong all the time. Moving them to the right one is good.

You guys should take note that you have been in this community for like, a week or something, and others have been for literally years, and you are the only ones complaining.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Goberoo! Goberu! Goberrrroooooooo.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I could care less what the moderators choose to do. There is no permanence in any of this... no "rights" no blah blah blah.

The whole point is about SONGFIGHT... yet a ton of us enjoy the use of these boards with no expense to jabber about all kinds of interesting, and occasionally boring, and sometimes overmyheadshit (paging Puce and Jazz...) topics that actually have nothing to do with songfight. It is theoretically possible to post a song week after week without any participation in the "boards"....

however this community is a collection of people who enjoy songfight so much, they have become friends through the process... but it's still about songfight. I for one think the adminlads do a great job... although I'd call it more like creative efforts than a job... since they DONT GET PAID.

Basically, I'm just weighing in with the opinion that I'm totally pleased with this place... the admin people care about this place, but they have lives and opinions too. It's not really a public place when you think about it... it's like you walked into some dude's bar... and if they don't want to serve you, or even let you in, they don't have to. And it's not a human right thing, last I checked, personality wasn't covered under human rights.

....uh... now I have no clue what my point was... better grab another brew.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Leaf wrote:typical Leafy rant........
"Leaf
Respected Member of the Community"
Hi!
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

jack shite wrote:
Leaf wrote:typical Leafy rant........
"Leaf
Respected Member of the Community"

shit... I'm just gonna post that from now on... then people can laugh while others' wonder wtf that means!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

hey, admin, you better delete that last post!
ok, anyway, yeah, this is kinda like telling a private club who they can admit. it's private!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

I miss Blue.

Perhaps I should step into his shoes.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Re: ellipse

Post by erik »

Oracle wrote:And just to make a point, 15-16 Puzzle, are you familiar with John Locke's theory of the social contract? If the community doesn't like it here because the admins are not being responsible the community has a right to leave the community or found thier own. Neither of these is what I think the admins want, nor is it going to help songfight (which is the point of the boards).
Okay, if you can honestly (or even dishonestly) say that the admins and mods and owners of this site are being irresponsible, then you are quite correct when you namedrop John Locke: you can leave if you want, and you can start your own community if you want.

No one is preventing you from doing either of these things, if that is what you want to do. It won't hurt songfight.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

You make an inflammatory song.
You recant, ask that it be taken down.
I admittedly take too long to acquiesce, but then do remove the song and in fact all the crappy discussion that surrounded it.
Now you bitch because I deleted the discussion.
And one of you tries to drag "the community" into the argument on your side as if you have obtained a quorum somehow.

Therefore, <b>I THINK YOU ARE A TROLL.</b> I'm not going to respond to you any more, sorry. Oracle, I suspect you are an accomplice. Nobody who jumps into an online community and is seemingly intent on wreaking this much havoc before having contributed ANYTHING to it can be anything other than a troll, I think.

I suggest the rest of us restrain ourselves from reacting to inflammatory posts from either of these two newbies. And to the newbies, I think you should enter some more fights, using actual non-troll entries, before you post here again.

This is just my opinion.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

What a silly man. So, how's everyone getting along with their 10-day songs? I think allowing 10 days is a pretty good idea, for those of us who aren't sober irishmen and can't knock together a song in an hour.

It might be interesting for the two fights to be of different lengths - say red for 5 days and blue for 10. It would keep writing and posting going all week, instead of peaking on day 3 and being dead by day 6, before starting again on day 1. It would be an absolute pig to administrate though. Not a serious suggestion.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Rockin-Oxen wrote:if it were my website and online community i would like to think i would take all reasonable complaints and suggestions into account.
that's great. so get your own fucking website.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

Kapitano wrote:It might be interesting for the two fights to be of different lengths.
I think (occasionally) that this has already been mooted. A lot.
Hmm. Mooted rhymes with looted... And prooted!
Oracle
A New Player

*frustration*

Post by Oracle »

If I was 'trolling' then why would I be supporting the admins?
I told him if he had a problem to leave. Are you accusing me of being an admin?
~ Oracle

Go here because I said so: FRONTLINE
If you don't know what frontline is, watch one of the free streaming episodes. It's an award winning documentary series by PBS & WGBH in Boston.