Bitching About Voting

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.

Moderator: Mods

User avatar
Richard WreckdoM
Tingle
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Postby Richard WreckdoM » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:32 pm

Lunkhead wrote:No way, dude, Jake Holmes is totally Max the Cat!! There's totally a -consensus- about it. Yeah...


Well, I guess we all know how I feel about Max the Cat in that event. I'm curious to see if the pseudo Josh wins any votes this week. It must be harder to be vote blindly not knowing who to vote for. As if there were no party lines. Nah, I'm sure a mass email went out to voters. Sorry, I know I'm rambling, but I'm trying to not get a lashing for the size of my avatar. I'm working on making it smaller, but in the mean time, you're stuck with it. Great Fight Everyone!

May the Best Band Win.


Cheers.
User avatar
joshw
Kokiri
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Findlay, OH
Contact:

Postby joshw » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:36 pm

Richard WreckdoM wrote:
Lunkhead wrote:No way, dude, Jake Holmes is totally Max the Cat!! There's totally a -consensus- about it. Yeah...


[b]Well, I guess we all know how I feel about Max the Cat in that event. I'm curious to see if the pseudo Josh wins any votes this week. It must be harder to be vote blindly not knowing who to vote for. As if there were no party lines. Nah, I'm sure a mass email went out to voters. Sorry, I know I'm rambling, but I'm trying to not get a lashing for the size of my avatar. I'm working on making it smaller, but in the mean time, you're stuck with it. Great Fight Everyone!Cheers.


I don't send out massmails, dickweed. I don't even mention SongFight anymore, and half the time, the title I use for the song on my site is different from the SF title.

And I can only assure you the song I submitted this week won't win. In fact, if there's any justice in the world, it won't get any votes at all. :)
Josh Woodward - Site | MySpace | Facebook
User avatar
Bjam
Zora
Posts: 1684
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:24 pm
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby Bjam » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:01 pm

joshw wrote:I don't even mention SongFight anymore, and half the time, the title I use for the song on my site is different from the SF title.



I don't mention Songfight by name on my blog. I know that some people who read my blog would just click my name without even listening to the other songs. Sometimes I'll say "I'm doing a song for this online competition thing." I suppose if the readers are that interested then they could find the website, but I don't think they can really be bothered to do that... They're slackers :roll:

And I can only assure you the song I submitted this week won't win. In fact, if there's any justice in the world, it won't get any votes at all. :)


Hey some people might like it :P It'd be interesting if there was a fight one week where we didn't know any of the artist's names. Obviously you could tell some because of their music, but on the whole... Hm, it'd be interesting, nonetheless.
Songfighter since back in the day.
User avatar
Justincombustion
Fortune Teller
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:28 am
Instruments: Drums. Drums. Drums.
Recording Method: Whatever that stuff in Glenn's basement is.
Submitting as: HalfRacks, Drink/Drank/Drunk, Baby In the Corner, Chuck the Bear
Location: Spokane, Washington
Contact:

Postby Justincombustion » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:00 am

[ It'd be interesting if there was a fight one week where we didn't know any of the artist's names. Obviously you could tell some because of their music, but on the whole... Hm, it'd be interesting, nonetheless.[/quote]

Like a "Blind Fight" the band who's identity is unknown the longest wins. Of course it would have to be an invite, as some band that's never been here would be unrecognized. So nevermind, it's the product of too much coffee. Or is it not enough? I'll go with not enough and have a few more cups.
"When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head; you can then head off you opponent with a balanced attack!"
j$
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5035
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:33 am
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint
Location: London, Engerllaaannnddd
Contact:

Postby j$ » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:04 am

Just stream without looking ....
Lester Bangs is still dead.
User avatar
Kapitano
Fortune Teller
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:59 am
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Postby Kapitano » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:21 am

Justincombustion wrote:"Blind Fight"


Interesting idea - to adopt a style and voice as far removed from normal as possible.

Like...a techno track from Josh Woodward, a sensitive love ballad from Wreckdom, and a girl-and-guitar track from me.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
User avatar
Mostess
Skull Kid
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:49 am
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Location: Ann Arbor
Contact:

Postby Mostess » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:58 am

joshw wrote:I don't send out massmails, dickweed. I don't even mention SongFight anymore, and half the time, the title I use for the song on my site is different from the SF title.


Ah yes, but do you tie one hand behind your back? Blindfolded? I'll vote for you until you enter an inferior song.

Enough with the Woodward bashing. He's great. Get over it.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
User avatar
erik
Gerudo
Posts: 2340
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:06 am
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle
Location: Austin
Contact:

Postby erik » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:17 am

Justincombustion wrote:Like a "Blind Fight" the band who's identity is unknown the longest wins. Of course it would have to be an invite, as some band that's never been here would be unrecognized. So nevermind, it's the product of too much coffee. Or is it not enough? I'll go with not enough and have a few more cups.


Different people would just start making guesses based on how different from your normal sound the current entry is. It would seem that the best strategy would be to sound like someone who is trying their best to sound like you. Of course, until someone realizes that this would be the best strategy, and then I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. Is that my answer? NOT EVEN CLOSE.
User avatar
jb
Notable Hylian
Posts: 3540
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:12 am
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Location: WASHINGTON, DC
Contact:

Postby jb » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:37 am

I am not the most giant fan of Josh's songs, but if Richard really thinks that it's JOSH who is keeping his entries from blossoming into the darlings of the SF community, then I wonder if he's not delusional.

Richard, you write songs that aggressively seek the edge of the song spectrum. Josh writes songs that stay within the bounds of the middle, where most listener's tastes lie. In a head-to-head competition where normal people are voting, you're always going to lose. I don't understand why you're so bitter towards Josh.

I believe Josh is treating Song Fight with respect. He enters often, he puts a lot of effort into his recordings, and he's still in there swinging away (and winning) even as the popularity backlash in the community is trying to keep him down.

If you have no fans to send email to, that's YOUR problem.

<b>SENDING EMAIL TO YOUR FANS WHEN YOU ARE IN A FIGHT IS ENCOURAGED.</b> Please encourage them to listen to every entry and choose their favorite.

Josh, I WANT you to email your mailing list when you're in a fight. Hey, my songs (when I enter) and those of others (add, frankie, hostess, max, roy, erik, etc.) aren't so far away from your style that people who dig your stuff won't like them. I want your fan list over here to hear my stuff.
j$
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5035
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:33 am
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint
Location: London, Engerllaaannnddd
Contact:

Postby j$ » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:44 am

jb wrote:even as the popularity backlash in the community is trying to keep him down.


I agree with most of what you say, but I disagree that saying 'I don't like Josh Woodward (or whoever)' = 'anyone who likes Josh Woodward is dumb'. Not liking Josh Woodward's stuff does not make me a player-hater. I also don't believe anyone here successful or otherwise is a player. That includes Frontalot. Not a value judgement; just a numbers call.

I do have a problem with 'hey bring your fans' because I don't believe the majority of people without a vested interest in SF will listen to anything other than their pals. But that is not Josh's problem - if he says 'listen to everything' he can't be held accountable for other people's proclivities.

I also think that RW's opinions do not reflect the majority opinion, and that he made a serious mistake stating them in a tone that suggested them as fact.

j$
Lester Bangs is still dead.
User avatar
jb
Notable Hylian
Posts: 3540
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:12 am
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Location: WASHINGTON, DC
Contact:

Postby jb » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:21 pm

j$ wrote:
jb wrote:even as the popularity backlash in the community is trying to keep him down.


I agree with most of what you say, but I disagree that saying 'I don't like Josh Woodward (or whoever)' = 'anyone who likes Josh Woodward is dumb'. Not liking Josh Woodward's stuff does not make me a player-hater. I also don't believe anyone here successful or otherwise is a player. That includes Frontalot. Not a value judgement; just a numbers call.


I never said that. I'm not sure who you're responding to here.
User avatar
c hack
Goron
Posts: 800
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:12 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA
Contact:

Postby c hack » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:59 pm

jb wrote:Josh, I WANT you to email your mailing list when you're in a fight. Hey, my songs (when I enter) and those of others (add, frankie, hostess, max, roy, erik, etc.) aren't so far away from your style that people who dig your stuff won't like them. I want your fan list over here to hear my stuff.


I agree with everything you said, and especially this. Stiff competition means I have to work harder to get votes, and that's a good thing.

I think anyone who makes quality songs is very valuable to this community, and Josh's songs are some of the highest quality here.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
frankie big face
Zora
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:26 pm
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face
Location: Lancaster, PA
Contact:

Postby frankie big face » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:05 pm

when i was sending a regular newsletter out (and writing a song every week), i would typically send one encouraging people to go to songfight and vote for me. at that time, bringing people to the site seemed like a positive thing and i never won anyway. therefore, i don't know how effective or ineffective my mailings were, but mostly i didn't care--it was just for fun. if it makes you feel better, just ignore josh's total and declare yourself winner if you come in second. you can even wear a tiara that week if you like.
User avatar
Leaf
Gerudo
Posts: 2428
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:19 pm
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, A bunch of other stuff.
Location: Campbell River, B.C.
Contact:

Postby Leaf » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:23 pm

Not only does Josh do a great job, he get's better every week, he's not afraid to push his own boundaries and try new things. Why didn't anyone bitch when Abomonominous won all those fights? Or the countless other great artists who have submitted some stellar stuff? My comments are not directed at any particuar person mind you, but I believe an artist must EARN "fans"... I think Josh has done this... the guy seems tireless ya know!!

hmmm... I wonder who has won the most fights ever?
User avatar
Mostess
Skull Kid
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:49 am
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Location: Ann Arbor
Contact:

Postby Mostess » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:48 pm

When I was noobish, I proudly told friends and family to visit SongFight! "Do we have to vote for you?" they'd ask, patiently awaiting my command. "No," I said sheepishly, "vote for your favorite song."

That was the stupidest thing I have ever done. Had I rallied them 'round the Hostess Mostess flag, I would certainly have garnered more votes for our songs, and perhaps won more fights. And then I would be king. King of SongFight! And you would all hate me because I'm beautiful. Objectively beautiful as proven by my string of SongFight! victories.

As it is, I am merely mediocre. And I have no one to blame but my friends and family.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
User avatar
Leaf
Gerudo
Posts: 2428
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:19 pm
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, A bunch of other stuff.
Location: Campbell River, B.C.
Contact:

Postby Leaf » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:50 pm

Well, obviously it wasn't Mostess.

Damn friends and family anyway.
User avatar
Phil. Redmon.
Skull Kid
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:28 pm
Instruments: Guitars & Drums
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Contact:

Postby Phil. Redmon. » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:12 pm

Leaf wrote: Why didn't anyone bitch when Abomonominous won all those fights?


Awwww... Thanks, Leaf! :idea:
User avatar
Bjam
Zora
Posts: 1684
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:24 pm
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby Bjam » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:26 pm

Moan about Josh all you want. Ultimately he bought me to Songfight and for that he rocks in my eyes. (He even moaned and prodded me for a long time to get me to record anything just for him to hear, let alone all the encouragement I've gotten from him to submit stuff to SF.) Anything that gets your music out there is a good thing, even if it's just 20-50 people on a website.

Blindfight would be cool, but... *shrugs* I'm not sure how well it would work.
Songfighter since back in the day.
User avatar
Hoblit
Notable Hylian
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida Where old people come to die.
Contact:

Postby Hoblit » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:44 pm

Bjam wrote:Moan about Josh all you want. Ultimately he <b>bought me</b>


and there it is folks, the damning truth that Wreckdom has been seeking.

Josh, if you can hear this...rock..I mean soft rock on mah man..you sure do have a purty song collection.
Last edited by Hoblit on Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jim of Seattle
Zora
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:33 am
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Sonar X3, Adobe Audition, Windows pc, Roland synth, EastWest orchestra
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events
Contact:

Postby Jim of Seattle » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:38 pm

Mostess wrote:As it is, I am merely mediocre. And I have no one to blame but my friends and family.


Well, I for one almost vote for your songs without having heard the fight first because I already know yours is going to be my favorite. (I don't really do this, but I might as well, because the only time I don't vote for you is if I'm in the same fight, in which case I don't vote at all)

I send a mailing out to my friends and co-workers, mostly to tell them I have a song I'd like them to hear. I'm talking fewer than 15 people here. Most of them, when I ask, say they heard it and had a comment or two, then poked around at a couple others based on their band names, but didn't vote at all because they hadn't heard all the songs.
Is there any reason you haven't bought my album yet? "We Are All Famous", on iTunes, CD Baby, and Green Monkey Records. Also available in unlimited edition "free" version:
Yes! I want to hear Jim's album without paying for it!
j$
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5035
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:33 am
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint
Location: London, Engerllaaannnddd
Contact:

Postby j$ » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:50 pm

jb wrote:
j$ wrote:
jb wrote:even as the popularity backlash in the community is trying to keep him down.


I agree with most of what you say, but I disagree that saying 'I don't like Josh Woodward (or whoever)' = 'anyone who likes Josh Woodward is dumb'. Not liking Josh Woodward's stuff does not make me a player-hater. I also don't believe anyone here successful or otherwise is a player. That includes Frontalot. Not a value judgement; just a numbers call.


I never said that. I'm not sure who you're responding to here.


OK, my bad. I misunderstood your comment about 'popularity backlash'. I thought you were suggesting that people who said they didn't like the music of Josh (as I think the most popular songfighter of the moment) were doing so mainly due to some deep-rooted jealousy of his 'success'.

I do get things wrong, from time to time. It's charming, you know ...
Lester Bangs is still dead.
User avatar
Caravan Ray
poopbutt
Posts: 8016
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Postby Caravan Ray » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:26 pm

Leaf wrote:
hmmm... I wonder who has won the most fights ever?


I wonder who has entered the most songs which have received zero votes?
(I'm sensing I could be in with a shot on that title)

Return to “Complaints and Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest