Can we please get multiple titles again?

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Reïst wrote: Why would I review more songs to post another one of mine, when the quality of reviews is so weak?
To raise the overall quality of the reviews and set an example for others of how it should be done. That's why.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

frankie big face wrote:To raise the overall quality of the reviews and set an example for others of how it should be done. That's why.
If the bands I reviewed on Garageband cared about anything except their own music, that would be reasonable. I find it's a lot like myspace - the only messages you get are from people trying to advertise themselves, and the only motivation to review is to gain credits for an entry. People are pleased to get a good review, but the whole process is so self-centered that I doubt my reviews could change anything.

ps - I'm pretty sure my reviewer rating is at about 110% right now.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Your previous post makes it sound like you only care about your music too. It reads like you think everyone on Garageband exists only to give you feedback on your music.

Anyway, you asked a question and I gave you an answer. If you want Garageband to be a better place, then make it a better place. If you don't care that much, then don't pretend like you're any better than the other people who don't care.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Reïst wrote:
frankie big face wrote:To raise the overall quality of the reviews and set an example for others of how it should be done. That's why.
If the bands I reviewed on Garageband cared about anything except their own music, that would be reasonable. I find it's a lot like myspace - the only messages you get are from people trying to advertise themselves, and the only motivation to review is to gain credits for an entry. People are pleased to get a good review, but the whole process is so self-centered that I doubt my reviews could change anything.
But that is the beauty of Garageband. It uses the self-centeredness of others to feed your own self-centeredness.

I want to know what others think about my song. I couldn't give a toss about anyone else's song - but I am forced to listen to and comment on 30 of the damn things before I can get someone to listen to my song. While listening and commenting on that 30 - just occaisionally you will hear something you like. It doesn't hurt to mention that..."Hey mate - I liked your song, the guitar was cool...", or whatever. Then your turn comes and your reviews come pouring in. Most of them may be rubbish - but there is the chance you will get the odd..."hey - I liked your song"... I look at it as my personal quality assurance system. As long a faw total strangers can hear one of my songs and find some value in it - then I know I'm sort of on the right track.

Sure it's nice to have a place like SF! where nice people make an effort to comment where they don't have to. But people won't always be nice to you - it's good to get the klownhole's opinions as well.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

GB would work a lot better if the review:song ratio were lower. The last time I used it, it was 6:1, and that seemed excessive. Now it's 30? Jeeze, no wonder people just power through them.

3:1 would probably work much better, assuming the GB model were at all reasonable. (But it's not, because at the end of the day it IS a competition.)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

fluffy wrote:GB would work a lot better if the review:song ratio were lower. The last time I used it, it was 6:1, and that seemed excessive. Now it's 30? Jeeze, no wonder people just power through them.

3:1 would probably work much better, assuming the GB model were at all reasonable. (But it's not, because at the end of the day it IS a competition.)
Haven't been there for a while - but from memory it is 30 (15 pairs of songs rated against each other). But doing lots means you get lots and lots in return.

Quantity always trumps quality (...hello ladies :wink: )
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

frankie big face wrote:Your previous post makes it sound like you only care about your music too. It reads like you think everyone on Garageband exists only to give you feedback on your music.
Well, of course I only care about my music - why else would I have joined Garageband? :D

But seriously ... I enjoy doing the occasional review, and I've found some really good bands on there, which I suppose has made my time at Garageband worthwhile. I know they don't exist just to give me feedback, but it would be nicer if their existence provided me with more coherent feedback. I'd rather have 3 useful, coherent reviews than 10 confusing or biased reviews. When people have 15 review pairs to complete in order to bring a selfish motive to completion, there isn't going to be much quality in the reviews.
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Can we please get multiple titles again?

Post by The Weakest Suit »

so i did a little number crunching on this myself from my first fight last april (C5SBD) to the CN9/PI fights.

with single title fights (including WCTW and CB):
average entires: 26 (n=23)

with the double title fights (these numbers are per title):
average entries: 13 (n=16)

the average number of entries has not changed, even with double fights. it's still a total of 26 per cycle.
i guess that shows that having a choice of title is not causing more people to enter the fights.
interesting.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Yeah, there are an equal number of people put off by it as there are people who prefer it. However, there are other benefits to smaller fights. Of course, they exactly offset the problems with same.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by The Weakest Suit »

aside from my comments in another part of the forum about wishing i was "fighting" against the whole crowd, i've been enjoying the smaller fights from a reviewing perspective. i always though i preferred the bigger fights, but being able to "know" all the songs in a fight better has been pretty nice. i'm suprised that punctuation island had such a small turn out, i thought it was a title that people could have a lot of fun with. i did.