Three Titles

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.

You want 3 fights?

Yeah, I do.
60%
No, I don't.
40%

Total votes: 30
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

i think there's a conspiracy theory that certain people are trying to run up the 2 fight numbers in order to force a change.

just a theory. a conspiracy one.
Hi!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

jack shite wrote:it's nice to have someone in charge that can weather the weather.
Did you mean "weather the whether"?

I download all songs for a week into the same playlist, so listening doesn't change with more or less fights, but the review angle is harder and I agree that being in the small fight hurts in that respect. But then again, I've found the small fights to have a tighter community, more neighborly-like with fewer car alarms at night.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Kinda off-topic, and in a friendly, chatty kind of way, I think 10-12 songs is the optimum songfight size. Any smaller tends to scare off reviewers (which i've never quite got) and any bigger, and the quality of reviews overall tends to diminish, understandably.

Not that it amounts to a hill of beans etc etc, but I wonder if anyone agrees with me on that. there's always a first time ...

j$
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

while i tend to agree with you j$, i've never really understood people complaining about reviewing big fights. sure it's a chore if you try to do it in one sitting. but it's like lasagna, just because you make a pan don't mean you have to eat the whole thing in one straight sitting. it still tastes good the next day. i reviewed this "big" fight this week. 25 songs. yeah, i was overwhelmed. so i listened to 8. then i went out and got some dinner. then i came back and did 8 more. then i watched some TV. then later i did 8 more. and it still collectively took maybe an hour and i gave everyone a discerning listen. and my song was 40 seconds and has gotten one review. (thanks TT)

it's like roymond said, the size is pretty irrelevant. listen (and review) as many or as few as you like or have time for. there's no prize. but if you have time to send in a song, you can't say you don't have time to review your fight.
Hi!
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

jack shite wrote: it's like roymond said, the size is pretty irrelevant. listen (and review) as many or as few as you like or have time for. there's no prize.

Why am I now aroused....
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

jack shite wrote:lasagna, just because you make a pan don't mean you have to eat the whole thing in one straight sitting. it still tastes good the next day
It tastes good, but re-heated lasagna just isn't quite the same or as good as the when first served... Mmmm.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Kamakura wrote:
jack shite wrote:lasagna, just because you make a pan don't mean you have to eat the whole thing in one straight sitting. it still tastes good the next day
It tastes good, but re-heated lasagna just isn't quite the same or as good as the when first served... Mmmm.
Yes, and bad or good, lasagne tastes pretty much the same with every mouthful ...

j$
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Leaf wrote:
jack shite wrote: it's like roymond said, the size is pretty irrelevant. listen (and review) as many or as few as you like or have time for. there's no prize.
Why am I now aroused....
I guess there'd be a prize if size was relevant
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

i can't even read the yellow title in my browser. any chance it could be a little less yellow?
Hi!
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

this is a warped universe....

These fights BETTER BE POPULATED!!!!

ahhh.... it all reeks of sarcasm... but I like sarcasm.

:lol:
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I didn't vote for 4 titles. I hate choice.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Leaf wrote: These fights BETTER BE POPULATED!!!!

:lol:
Actually for me that's entirely not the point. Once I complete my graph proving that songfight attendance is seasonal (factoring in the occasional particularly inspiring, or particularly tricky title variable) all will become clear. You think I'm joking ...

But suffice it to say, I expect these fights should be each half the size of the current ones, with a few extra because of the novelty value. That's what happened when we went to three fights - big numbers first couple of fights, and then the Summer hit (well, specifically July) and the numbers tailed off. Although even at the 'smallest' there were 25-30 fighters, which isn't a bad showing.

It's not about the number of people fighting, it's about not being able to give focused, useful reviews when you hit song 19 of 27, and it's some bloke on a jew's harp while a TTS says 'Poop! God! Dog! Poop!' over and over again ....
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

jack shite wrote:i can't even read the yellow title in my browser. any chance it could be a little less yellow?
It has been suggested in another thread that if you highlight it, it becomes quite easy to read.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Spud wrote:
jack shite wrote:i can't even read the yellow title in my browser. any chance it could be a little less yellow?
It has been suggested in another thread that if you highlight it, it becomes quite easy to read.
yeah? it would also be better if it was less yellow too.

of course i could just ignore it too.
Hi!
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

jack shite wrote: yeah? it would also be better if it was less yellow too.
But then it wouldn't be #FFFF00. And once you stray from the mathmatical yellow, it becomes an issue of perception. Is it yellow? Is it brown? Where do you draw the line, Jack? Where do you draw the line???
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

It's a conceptual thing, Jack. You don't want to to sacrifice the concept, do you?
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Spud wrote:It's a conceptual thing, Jack. You don't want to to sacrifice the concept, do you?
i'm willing to sacrifice the concept in order to make the concept work.
Hi!
Adam!
Ice Cream Man

Post by Adam! »

j$ wrote:
Leaf wrote: These fights BETTER BE POPULATED!!!!
Actually for me that's entirely not the point. Once I complete my graph proving that songfight attendance is seasonal all will become clear. You think I'm joking ...
Johnny, just a question: Has anyone ever debated this idea? I've seen you mention the "overall SF attendance is not related to the # of titles" theory several times; has anyone ever argued against this? I'm just curious because you've frequently defended it, but from whom?

Also, your prognostications are almost certainly correct.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Puce wrote:Johnny, just a question: Has anyone ever debated this idea? I've seen you mention the "overall SF attendance is not related to the # of titles" theory several times; has anyone ever argued against this? I'm just curious because you've frequently defended it, but from whom?
Well, in this instance ... Leaf, who on seeing the double-sized issue that is this upcoming fight, suggsted it had better be populated? Oh, meeting ... will finish this later ....

j$
Adam!
Ice Cream Man

Post by Adam! »

j$ wrote:
Puce wrote:Johnny, just a question: Has anyone ever debated this idea?
Well, in this instance ... Leaf, who on seeing the double-sized issue that is this upcoming fight, suggsted it had better be populated?
I'm sure that was just a jab at the FM's obstinate independence.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man

Post by Adam! »

The current fights are the perfect size, imo. You guys are awesome.