Song Fight! Jukebox

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Song Fight! Jukebox

Post by Lunkhead »

OK, redesign up... there will probably be issues with it that I will be sorting out.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Yo roymond, the Jukebox thread is over here! Sorry you can't enter your password. I will fix that when I have a chance. You said "Also the arrows don't play next or prior song." I'm not sure what you mean by that. The next/previous icons work for me when I click them. The arrow keys also do next/previous when I press them. (Sometimes I've noticed with the sliders I switched to for volume and seek that the slider handle takes over the focus and the keyboard shortcuts don't work, though. I have to click somewhere else on the page for the slider handel to lose focus and the keyboard events to get handeld properly.)

EDIT: Password entry issue should be fixed now. I was only turning off the keyboard shortcuts for inputs of type "text". I forgot to also do that for inputs of type "password". Oops!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Ah...here it is. I once was blind but now I...

The login works now, so that's cool. I don't see next/previous icons on the current fight page in Chrome on Vista...on other song/artist pages they're there. But the arrow keys work!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Aha! I get what you're saying now. Yes, I actually deliberately omitted them from the current fight player on the homepage. Just click the title of the current fight on the homepage though and you'll get the fight page for that fight with the full controls. My intention was to simplify the homepage player and also make room for the cover art. I felt like newcomers to the site might be less intimated by just seeing a big "play" button and a volume slider, than by seeing the full set of controls. I also used up the space where I normally put the cover art for the introductory/about text for the site, so I had to find another place for it. I figured too that the keyboard shortcuts still worked so power users could use those. I can see how the buttons appear "missing" to people who've been to the site before and are used to seeing the full controls, though, now that you mention it.

Overall I'm still not satisfied with the player design, and am hoping to some day come up with something more compact that has a better layout of the controls, room for cover art, and is easy to use. Ideally I'd like something that was the same everywhere of course, but finding the right balance of providing features and ease of use is difficult for me.
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

So, is this the right time to point out "Discuss" sends you to last fight's discussion thread?
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

The jukebox just uses the review thread link provided by the original data on songfight.org, so you'll probably want to take that up with Spud. See the "jump to discussion page" link at the bottom of this page:

http://songfight.org/currentsong.php

Also, any feedback you have about the whole different player for the homepage thing would be appreciated. Maybe I should change it? I'm not sure what to do in the short term (long term, come up with another design that works in all contexts for all people, or something).
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Consider it taken up. Before I go to fix it, is this a one-off problem with this page or something systemic?
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

This is the only one I know if, but I haven't really gone looking for this issue before.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

It seems to have been an anomaly. It is fixed.

SUPD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Cool, thanks Spud. Now the question I have for myself is ... will my code pick up the change to the review thread link? I'm guessing it will not. Time to go manually update it in my database. Doh! Better put that on my bug list.

Hm, never mind. Looks like I actually did put in some code that picked up the update. Phew.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Lunkhead wrote:Hm, never mind. Looks like I actually did put in some code that picked up the update. Phew.
I have to remind Song Fight people how fucking awesome this jukebox is. Thank you!!!

Hey, all you Song Fight people! This is a fucking awesome jukebox!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

roymond wrote:Sam - I used to be able to +1 songs, and download mp3s from iOS. Did this go away? Was it on a single song page, which I can't remember how to access?
I redesigned the site, and the individual song pages are less accessible now. I didn't really think they were all that useful, other than for what you're mentioning now. I was planning to add access to those features for individual songs on the fight and artist pages, but my new job has kind of taken over my life. You can still access individual song pages, though. One way is to do a search, and at the bottom of the auto-complete will be a section labeled "Songs" with "Show all n". You can also click on "Songs" in the top nav and search the songs there. Or you can click on random song in the bottom left corner of the screen.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Speaking of which, you in your new office yet? We should grab lunch someday.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Yes, day one of new office today! It's cool. I will try to get some pictures up. I've got a longer commute now, though, so I'm going to have even less time to work on the jukebox, sadly.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Lunkhead wrote:
roymond wrote:Sam - I used to be able to +1 songs, and download mp3s from iOS. Did this go away? Was it on a single song page, which I can't remember how to access?
I redesigned the site, and the individual song pages are less accessible now. I didn't really think they were all that useful, other than for what you're mentioning now. I was planning to add access to those features for individual songs on the fight and artist pages, but my new job has kind of taken over my life. You can still access individual song pages, though. One way is to do a search, and at the bottom of the auto-complete will be a section labeled "Songs" with "Show all n". You can also click on "Songs" in the top nav and search the songs there. Or you can click on random song in the bottom left corner of the screen.
Use case name: "Flogging dead horse" ...

That's good (the search method) because I'd like to send a link to a friend for a single song ("Check this BSS song out! The guitar and keyboard tracks are unreal!!!"), but rather than the MP3, the jukebox page would be great, because then the recipient is on this awesome site and can get nosy and stuff.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

All the pages are still there, e.g.

http://sfjukebox.org/songs/beat_me_up/B ... cial+Scene
http://sfjukebox.org/songs/all_kinds_of ... cial+Scene

Also, there are still links to them on the site. If you do a search and click "Show all N" under the "Songs" heading in the results popup, or if click on the "Songs" link in the top nav, you get a list of songs, and for every song there is a "PAGE" link that links to the song's SFJukebox page. Also if you click the random song link that'll take you to the page of a random song (not to the mp3).

Is that what you're looking for? I'm not 100% sure I understood what you meant, sorry.

I've had some time to do some work on my hobby projects lately but I've been focusing on the somesongs code base, adding some new Facebook Timeline integration features. I may switch back to working on the jukebox again with my next batch of "free time" for programming, and I will look into making these pages more accessible.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Yes, I was confirming that the search "show all" was all I needed. I posted because the new use case came up (sharing a song link) and thought I'd let you know how much I love the jukebox :) Sorry to cause confusion/frustration. It's all good.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

No problem, I appreciate that you like it and I wanted to make sure it was usable to you, as you're possibly it's only user other than me. ;)

I did add one thing to the Jukebox recently that I thought was kind of neat. I don't think I mentioned it here. If you share on Facebook a link to a fight's page on the Jukebox people can play the fight right in Facebook.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Lunkhead wrote:...as you're possibly it's only user other than me. ;)
I can't believe that is true. You have stats, no? How do people cruise the archive? Screw Spotify, SFJB has everything you need...except shared playlists ;)
Lunkhead wrote:If you share on Facebook a link to a fight's page on the Jukebox people can play the fight right in Facebook.
This I don't get, since FB doesn't bring me much content. But I hear it's a great feature to build out.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I just pushed a minor update so that you get the same "in the News Feed" Flash mp3 player on non-mobile browsers if you share the link to an individual song page (e.g. http://sfjukebox.org/songs/we_sound_lik ... en+and+Sam) on Facebook. Of course, I have yet to get around to making it easy to get to the individual song pages again... I'm thinking I may first add a "share" link/icon for the currently playing song in the players on the fight and artist pages. We'll see if I ever have time for that, though...
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Latest new feature is a cover art gallery view of the fights. I mentioned this in another thread.

http://sfjukebox.org/fights/gallery

You can see all the fights with art, in a grid of the covers, with the cover artist name. You can also search and sort by cover artist name.

I just tweaked it a little more so that the cover artist name is not a link in the case when there was no Web site provided by the artist, and I changed the way the images load.

Sadly loading the cover images is really really slow. Part of it is probably because I needed 200x200 images, so I'm loading the full size 400x400 images and telling the browser to resize them.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Ooh, new trivia question. How many fights have cover art featuring images of prayformojo? Can you identify them all? First to do so gets no prize, just bragging rights.