Song Fight! Jukebox

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: The Unofficial Song Fight! Jukebox

Post by Lunkhead »

Cool, that looks good, although I'm a little confused about the key being x0. It looks like you're just removing HTML tags from the key and artist name to find the artist by key. That won't work anymore when somebody enters as, for example, "X<sup>0</sup>". I know it seems unlikely but if you keep the tags in the key then if/when it does happen you won't even have to worry about it, things will just continue to work fine without anymore manual intervention.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

I really doubt that someone will try to use the same trick to fuck up the archive. They will think up a new one.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

As a heads up to iOS users, on desktop browsers there is a scrollbar for the song list if there are a lot of songs. It turns out that there is no such thing as a browser scrollbar in iOS-land, however. So, you probably look at the list and think you can't see all the songs and have no way to scroll. You should actually still be able to scroll the song list, though, by using a 2-finger drag. I have no way to test that so if someone could try it and let me know if that works, that would be great. I am investigating what I can do about it, but I'm probably not going to put a lot of resources into it at this point. It sounds like even the best available "solution" would improve things only to the point where you could 1-finger drag the song list. There would still be no visual indication that you could scroll the list.

In other news I updated the site to use a different core JavaScript library (jQuery instead of YUI). This may improve things for iOS folks as there were other bug reports that sounded like they were problems with the JavaScript on the site. Or it may make things worse. Again, I can't test it so I don't know. It should improve things from the perspective of the number and size of JavaScript files used by the site. This also makes it more feasible for me to try out another audio playing library pointed out to me by Jefff, called jplayer.

In still other news, it looks like you're out of luck trying to use this site on an Android phone, unless you have Android 2.2/Froyo with Flash. The HTML5 audio support in all currently available versions of Android is broken, and will not be fixed until a post-2.2/Froyo release. (Fortunately for me I'm upgrading phones soon, to a phone with Froyo.)

And as a reminder to any other nerds/geeks out there, if you're looking to build a project based on the archive data (e.g. a native iOS/Android app) my site exports the data in convenient formats (e.g. JSON) and it's easy for me to add support for other formats (e.g. XML).
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Two-finger scroll works on both my iPod Touch 1 and my iPod Touch 4, although there is absolutely no indication that it's necessary. On my Nexus One (android 2.2/froyo), two-finger scroll doesn't work (it just tries to zoom) and there seems to be no way to make it work even with the scrollball. The HTML5 audio player doesn't work, and its failure to work doesn't bring up the Flash player either. (Of course it works fine on the iPod Touch 4. Haven't tried it on the iPod Touch 1.)
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

The same scrolling problem effects Android, but with Android there isn't even the non-intuitive workaround that's provided in iOS, and it's not going to get addressed till a future release.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2118

The songs should play, though, using Flash. The library I use doesn't even bother to try HTML5 Audio on Android. I've successfully tested playing the songs on a Nexus One previously, though maybe I broke something today. (The "Flash player" is actually just a UI-less Flash movie that's entirely controlled by JavaScript, btw, so there isn't anything to "bring up" per se.)
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I have my Nexus One set to only run plugins if I click on the embed placeholder. The page seems to be detecting that Flash isn't loading and it's inserting something that is clearly HTML, which doesn't play.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. It doesn't use the native UI for the HTML5 Audio object either. In both cases, the audio object, be it Flash or HTML5, has no visible UI of its own and is entirely controlled by JavaScript. The JavaScript is triggered by interacting with the HTML elements that are just statically printed out into the page (and are always visible). There is no "inserting something" that the end user can see...? But maybe in your case there is because of how you've got your browser set up? If you have a chance to email me or upload a screenshot or photo I'd be curious as to exactly what's going on in your browser, not that I can really do much about it. I suggest you turn on Flash if you use the site, since otherwise it definitely won't work.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

On my Nexus One, I see the play button. I click the play button. Nothing happens. I am guessing it has something to do with the fact that if it's trying to do the Flash player, there's nothing visible I can click on to activate the Flash plugin for that page.

I'm not that interested in using it from my Nexus One anyway. I was just trying to give you more data points.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Worked fine on my ipad last night.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I added a sharing widget, so you can pretty easily like any song/fight/artist on Facebook or tweet any song/fight/artist. For example:

http://sfjukebox.org/songs/bad_attraction/Glenn+Case

Tweet: Check out "Bad Attraction" by Glenn Case #songfight http://t.co/... via @sfarchivist

I also fixed some issues in Internet Explorer. I haven't made much headway on better support for iOS and Android. I'll probably come up with a whole different layout for those devices eventually.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it but I also added links to go to a random song/fight/artist on every page, and links to navigate to the next/previous song/fight/artist. I also realized that the fights have to be in a certain order beyond just chronological order, because one set of fights that all happened at the same time have to show up so that their first letters spell "SONG FIGHT!". Fun times. I'm thinking of adding commenting via disqus.com next.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Chronological order is also incorrect for "it's charging."
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Good point. My changes handle that as well. I just noticed that I'm only using the right ordering on the songs page and not the fights page though for some reason, will have to fix that...
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Fixed ordering on fights page, and made some fixes to speed up the fights/fight/artist pages.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I would like to get a domain for this site. Would sfjukebox.org be too presumptuous, FMs?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

songfight.fm
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Lunkhead wrote:I would like to get a domain for this site. Would sfjukebox.org be too presumptuous, FMs?
I take no issue.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

no issue here either. holy cow, dot.fm wants $100 to register a domain. no thanks, jerks.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

OK, sfjukebox.org will be up shortly. I just did some small feature updates. You can start listening to random songs by going to this link:

http://sfjukebox.org/songs?random=true&autoplay=1

When the song finishes another one will load and automatically start playing. There are tweet/like/etc. links at the bottom of the song page so you can easily share a song you enjoy while you're listening to it.

This also works for fights and artists. When the last song in the fight or by the artist is done, a new random fight or artist will load and the songs will start playing automatically.

http://sfjukebox.org/fights?random=true&autoplay=1
http://sfjukebox.org/artists?random=true&autoplay=1

I also added the fight cover art in the mp3 player on the "all songs" page and cleaned up the UI for filtering the list of songs, among a bunch of other little things.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

http://sfjukebox.org/ is working now.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I just whitelisted that domain for referral access to mp3s, in case that wasn't working before.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Thanks fluffy!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

fluffy or FMs, I just noticed that the SF jukebox doesn't seem to work in Chrome or Safari on the Mac (haven't checked Chrome or Safari on Windows). I'm trying to figure out what is different in Chrome/Safari vs. Firefox. It looks like in Firefox the request for the mp3s does not have a "Referer" header. Here's what I get as the source of the request using Firebug:
GET /music/boron_rod/berkeleysocialscene_br.mp3 HTTP/1.1
Host: http://www.songfight.org
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive: 115
Connection: keep-alive
Cookie: __utma=171783458.1600822284.1254276561.1298302198.1299176865.99; __utmz=171783458.1299176865.99.38.utmcsr=sfjukebox.org|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/sf/fights/boron_rod
Here's what I see in the Safari developer tools for the request/response:
Request URL:http://www.songfight.org/music/boron_ro ... ene_br.mp3
Request Method:GET
Status Code:302 Found
Request Headers
Referer:http://sfjukebox.org/sf/fights/boron_rod
User-Agent:Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_6; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.19.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.3 Safari/533.19.4
Response Headers
Connection:Keep-Alive
Content-Encoding:gzip
Content-Length:236
Content-Type:text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Date:Sun, 06 Mar 2011 18:26:55 GMT
Keep-Alive:timeout=2, max=99
Location:http://www.songfight.org/songpage.php?k ... ene_br.mp3
Server:Apache
Vary:Accept-Encoding
And in Chrome:
Request URL:http://www.songfight.org/music/boron_rod/bgm_br.mp3
Request Method:GET
Status Code:200 OK
Request Headers
Accept:*/*
Accept-Charset:ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.3
Accept-Encoding:gzip,deflate,sdch
Accept-Language:en-US,en;q=0.8
Connection:keep-alive
Host:www.songfight.org
Referer:http://sfjukebox.org/sf/swf/soundmanager2.swf
User-Agent:Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_6; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/9.0.597.107 Safari/534.13
If you have a chance please to take a look some time and see if something obvious and easy to deal with jumps out at you that would be great, thanks. I understand this kind of stuff is a very low priority, of course.