Song Fight! Jukebox

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Song Fight! Jukebox

Post by roymond »

Very fun cover gallery! Maybe it could use pagination to help the mobile devices after 50 covers?

You know it's just a suggestion...
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Am I the only one who uses laptops/desktops anymore? Oy.

Anyway, is it download size/time that's causing issues for you on your iPad Roy? I did make it so that the images that aren't on screen don't load at all until you scroll within 500px of them. That should make the initial page size small and initial load time short. However, I don't have an iPad so I have no idea if that's working on the iPad. It should be supported in all non-mobile browsers at least.

Or is it something else, like the size of the layout when all covers are loaded?
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Well, damn. Now it seems to work fine. Maybe a memory issue after scrolling for so long. It's great, though. What a gallery of inspiration!

If I'm not working on something that requires a laptop, I don't use a laptop. I find tablets are too awesome for most of the pedestrian activities one does online.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

A while back I put in place support for user created links between artists. I finally just hacked together a UI for users to create those links.

http://sfjukebox.org/artists/Berkeley%20Social%20Scene

Next to "See Also:" in the left hand side of the artist page you'll now see "(add +)". Click that, type another artist's name, pick them from the autocomplete menu, and click "Add" to create a link between artists. After the page reloads, click "(show)" next to "See Also:" to see the link between the artists. Links are two-way, so if you create a link from Lunkhead to Berkeley Social Scene, for example, there is also automatically a link from BSS to Lunkhead.

If there are official links they'll show up as being from "songfight.org". User created links will show up under the username of the person that created the link. Anybody can add links between artists as long as you're logged in. If you haven't registered, you can sign in very easily using Twitter or Facebook.

I also made some more minor visual improvements, like nicer looking scrollbars in the track list, and a way to get to the cover art gallery (I turned the "Fights" link in the top navbar into a menu).

Roy, I haven't tested any of this on iOS yet, so let me know if you hit any bugs using your iDevices.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: The Unofficial Song Fight! Jukebox

Post by Lunkhead »

roymond wrote:Other unreasonable requests:
- logged-in members' ability to "thumbs up/down" songs/artists
Roymond, any feedback on where you might expect to find the UI for this? Also, buttons, icons, other? I may have some time to try to implement this soon.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

That artist link feature rocks!

I see an auto-populated link for "Roymond+feat.+Sudharshan" but it throws an error when selecting it. Should link to "Hey Ruth" which shows under roymond anyway, so I assume it's trash metadata from somewhere.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I noticed when I first imported the artist profile data from songfight.org that more than a few people who sent Spud bad data for their related artists. Rather than try to sort all that I out I have for now faithfully reproduced the behavior of the official archive in that regard:

http://www.songfight.org/artistpage.php ... ey=roymond
http://www.songfight.org/artistpage.php ... sudharshan

I haven't yet put in code to only make the related artist from the songfight.org data a link if it actually exists.

Somehow I wound up with "roymond & noah" and "roymond & noah" it looks like, one of which has no songs...? If you don't mind I'm going to combine those artists. Done, hope that's OK.

EDIT: More weirdness, I see that spammers or spambots are logging in somehow, even though things are set up so that when you register you get emailed your password...? Are spambots actually sophisticated enough to receive an email, parse out the password, then go back to the site and log in? That's kinda crazy. Or maybe spammers are doing that manually? That would also be kinda crazy... Some of the spam accounts are even set up to receive the new title notification email, wtf?
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Why code when you can hire Indonesians for 3 cents an hour?

(seriously most of the spam that comes to this forum is clearly in the form of human beings being paid to spam. that was also the case on my blog entries, which is why the first line of antispam defense for my forum is to not allow anything that makes it look like a comment form end up on Google search results)
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Lunkhead wrote:I noticed when I first imported the artist profile data from songfight.org that more than a few people who sent Spud bad data for their related artists.
It's not outside the realm of possibility that I could have mangled the data somehow... :)

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Also don't forget that a lot of artist names got normalized later, which probably broke a lot of previously-perfectly-working links.
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

fluffy wrote:Also don't forget that a lot of artist names got normalized later, which probably broke a lot of previously-perfectly-working links.
AHA!
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Lunkhead wrote:I just pushed a minor update so that you get the same "in the News Feed" Flash mp3 player on non-mobile browsers if you share the link to an individual song page (e.g. http://sfjukebox.org/songs/we_sound_lik ... en+and+Sam) on Facebook. Of course, I have yet to get around to making it easy to get to the individual song pages again... I'm thinking I may first add a "share" link/icon for the currently playing song in the players on the fight and artist pages. We'll see if I ever have time for that, though...
I shared Sober's song on FB but the player doesn't play :(

OSX Lion
Chrome - no feedback, player just sits there.
Safari - suggests I install yet another update to Flash, which didn't fix it.

FUCK, I HATE FLASH!!! FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Which is to say...can this not use Flash? If no, that's cool. Maybe it's not a Flash problem. Probably user ineptitude.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Yeah, I saw that. It's a bit weird. When you just plain "liked" the page the player worked for me. That is consistent with my experience.

When you shared it using the orange "+ share" button the player did not work for me though. I'm using "AddThis" ( http://www.addthis.com/ ) to provide the like/tweet/+1/share buttons. There must be something in the way they provide the Facebook share functionality that is breaking the player somehow. I'm a bit surprised they can break that. What is supposed to happen is that Facebook is supposed to detect the URL you're sharing in the post, then crawl the URL with a bot to read some <meta> tags. The tags specify metadata about the page, in this case specifying the location of a Flash player for playing the song. I don't know exactly what they're doing wrong. I may have to replace their FB share with my own. It's not very hard to implement. The advantage of using AddThis though is that they support sharing via a zillion other mechanisms that aren't worth it for me to implement but may potentially be useful to somebody (e.g. +1 ;) ).

As for it being Flash, that's beyond my control. The only way that Facebook lets people play media in their news feeds/timelines is via a Flash player. It's a bit lame, especially since for mobile they don't bother showing the player even on OS'es that support Flash.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Another minor update, you can now sort the songs on an artist/fight/song page by artist/fight, winner, votes, date, etc. Just click on the header of a column to sort the songs by that column. Click again to sort the other direction.

You'll probably need to clear your browser cache, or force it to reload these two pages, for it to work:

http://sfjukebox.org/css/sf-main.css
http://sfjukebox.org/js/sf-main.js

It's a little wonky sometimes, like if you try to sort by winner but no songs are winners, etc. But it mostly works most of the time. ;)
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

For any programmers out there, I moved the Jukebox source code into a Git repository hosted on BitBucket ( http://bitbucket.org/ ). It's a private repository for now, so if you want access to the code you'll have to sign up on BitBucket (which is a great service, like GitHub, only you get free private repositories). I'm pretty sure that there isn't any sensitive/secret songfight.org information in the source code. That stuff should all be split out into config files which are not included with the source code. I want to go through the code one more time to make sure of that before I make it public, though.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Spud and fluffy, did something change about the way the archive data is being stored for the last couple fights? My code for parsing the archive text file database seems to be having problems getting the votes, fightmaster message, winner(s), etc.

EDIT: Seems like maybe there is something weird/wrong with the dates for "Canadian Girlfriend"?

01/21/13 -01/31/31

I think that's what broke my parsing. For some reason I was expecting " - " in the line, but now I've changed it to just look for "-" and ignore the whitespace.
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

Sorry, Sam. There was a problem with the update today, and I had to edit the archive manually. Missed that space. As you probably well know by now, better to parse "loosely" :)
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I just updated all the CSS and JavaScript libraries I use for the Jukebox (bootstrap, jquery, jquery-ui, jplayer, etc. etc.). If you see anything weird (e.g. the search autocomplete menu doesn't work) you may need to do a hard refresh and/or clear your browser cache to load some new JS/CSS files.

EDIT: This appears to have fixed a problem I was seeing in Chrome where sometimes the layout of the player would be messed up. So far I haven't seen any problems, but I haven't really tested on iOS or Windows.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Funny story: For some reason the "Scientific 7" title and optional challenge were just not showing up on the Jukebox. Turns out the optional challenge was so long that it wouldn't fit into the database column for optional challenges. :roll: Thanks for keeping me on my toes guys.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

The Jukebox continues to benefit from your tenacious attention!

Some formatting issues on OSX, both Chrome and Safari, no doubt container challenge:
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

That is due to the super long optional challenge. My layout at the moment is a fixed vertical size. I don't have a scrolling div set up for the optional challenge to handle it when it's extra long. It pushes content down to the point where it overflows past the bottom of the layout. I have been wanting to come up with a better layout/design but haven't had time. I should have more time to work on it soon though.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Don't bother worrying about it. It's likely a one-off.