maybe we ran out of good ones?

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

maybe we ran out of good ones?

Post by john m »

Is it just me, or have the titles for the last month been terrible? I've had time to write/record, but these titles drive me away.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward
Pronouns: he/him

Post by joshw »

Yeah, I'm suprised that with four fights, there can't be at least one "normal" title..
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

Seriously. On a side note, I've always wanted titles that could let the creativity drift into different meanings. Like inatimate objects like "Chair" or colors like "Blue" or "Grey" why dont we do that.
I'm back.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

hm, I thought Gallows Hill was a pretty good title myself.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Snow Fort
Tank Top
Turn the Power On

Come on, guys. I wish I had time to own one of these. And Jim Tyrrell's "Naked on The Meach" has got to justify many more colors. (congrats, btw, man. I'm just catching up).
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

A title is just that. What do you want, it served on a plate? Jeez, louise ...
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Yeah, I haven't seen anything wrong with the recent titles.

How 'bout something boring? Maybe "She's Alright" or "I Can" or "Give Me a Sign"? Bah.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

No. First thing I thought when I saw this week's titles was "I wish I had some free time, because I have two ideas for each of those titles".
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

agreed. the titles of late have been quite good. And that there are 4 of them only increases the chances I'll be able to "feel" one and make it happen.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:Seriously. On a side note, I've always wanted titles that could let the creativity drift into different meanings. Like inatimate objects like "Chair" or colors like "Blue" or "Grey" why dont we do that.
Go right ahead.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

joshw wrote:Yeah, I'm suprised that with four fights, there can't be at least one "normal" title..
by normal i assume you mean boring.
Hi!
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

jb wrote:
Southwest_Statistic wrote:Seriously. On a side note, I've always wanted titles that could let the creativity drift into different meanings. Like inatimate objects like "Chair" or colors like "Blue" or "Grey" why dont we do that.
Go right ahead.
Ok. Fine. I will. :roll:
I'm back.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

I don't care for the titles either, of late. Since the 4-title format, I think I've liked one title, found one to be okay, and have not cared for the rest.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

jack shite wrote:
joshw wrote:Yeah, I'm suprised that with four fights, there can't be at least one "normal" title..
Exactly. What's wrong with one boring title out of four? I always found that the more boring titles gave me more room for creativity in the lyrics themselves.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

joshw wrote:
jack shite wrote:
Exactly. What's wrong with one boring title out of four? I always found that the more boring titles gave me more room for creativity in the lyrics themselves.
i'm just pulling your chain josh. honestly, i hope this isn't your last songfight, or at least you might submit under a beard once in a while. i know we butt heads more often than not but you do great stuff, review regularly (even if i hate them) and are an asset to the community. good luck.
Hi!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Oh my god, this sucks guys. There's four titles, and I only like one! What ever am I going to do?? :P
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:
jb wrote:
Go right ahead.
Ok. Fine. I will.
How do I enter?
  • 1. Write a song based on the title of your choice...
I always thought the FAQ is deliberately ambiguous in this regard. It would have been just as easy to say "write a song containing the title of your choice..."
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

I think the titles have been okay, myself. To be honest, Naked On The Meach is the last title I expected to come up with something for, but that seems to be the way of it pretty often.
I have yet to see a fight where I thought all the titles presented were completely unworkable. (This from a guy who has fought once in, like, three months.)
And thanks, Roymond. :)
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

And that BeWells Aspertame ditty. Sweeeeet! Them be gold in them hills.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

I'm not saying I can't work with offbeat titles. (I wrote a song for Zombie Sneak Attack.) But, especially because there are four a week now, I keep hoping at least one will be more "normal." A word, a common saying, etc.

I know I could go write a song outside of songfight altogether, but it's disappointing when I want to participate and I'm faced with titles that I simply do not want to write a song about.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

deshead wrote:
I always thought the FAQ is deliberately ambiguous in this regard. It would have been just as easy to say "write a song containing the title of your choice..."
It would also be just as easy to say "write a song containing the vegetable of your choice" but, well, I do hope you see why your two things are different. A song doesn't have to "contain" its title (in the lyrics, I assume you mean) to validate it.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

bzl wrote:
deshead wrote:
... It would have been just as easy to say "write a song containing the title of your choice..."
It would also be just as easy to say "write a song containing the vegetable of your choice" but, well, I do hope you see why your two things are different. A song doesn't have to "contain" its title (in the lyrics, I assume you mean) to validate it.
Yep, that was actually my point, though I didn't word it clearly. Rephrased: whoever wrote the FAQ could have been explicit and said "1. write a song and include the title of your choice somewhere in the lyrics." That the FAQ author choose not to say this, and instead used the words "based on", suggests that it was made ambiguous on purpose.

More than anything, I was responding to SoWestStat's comment about letting "creativity drift into different meanings." I don't think there's any reason we can't do that with the titles as they are.