Submitted a song - not posted?

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
lalabrookie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: lalabrookie

Submitted a song - not posted?

Post by lalabrookie »

Hi there...newbie here. Just discovered songfight a few weeks ago and I love it! Been following and voting for a few weeks, and submitted a song for the favourite legos theme. I submitted on time, got my confirmation email, and I made sure (or tried to make sure) that I named it right and put it in the right format, etc. It's not posted...can you tell me what I did wrong? Or am I incorrect in thinking that all submissions are posted? Thanks!
Yea, I lost my groove...I lost my groove all over the place - Kat Criswell
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Re: Submitted a song - not posted?

Post by Spud »

lalabrookie wrote:Hi there...newbie here. Just discovered songfight a few weeks ago and I love it! Been following and voting for a few weeks, and submitted a song for the favourite legos theme. I submitted on time, got my confirmation email, and I made sure (or tried to make sure) that I named it right and put it in the right format, etc. It's not posted...can you tell me what I did wrong? Or am I incorrect in thinking that all submissions are posted? Thanks!
Not All. A submissions titled "Make the World Go" for the fight "Favourite Lego Bricks (Look At The Beach)" has a high probability of not getting posted. Every week, we have a number of unsolicited submissions from bands just wanting to get their music heard, but don't really get the idea of SongFight. Make your case...
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
lalabrookie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by lalabrookie »

Fair enough! Here's my case: I am not a band trying to get my music heard...I am a singer/songwriter/musician who loves music and I think the idea of songfight is great because it's got a hell of a lot more integrity than the current music industry does. I'm not looking for exposure - more a forum to share my music and to enjoy the music of others. I love how songfight works because it's just a challenge to take an idea, make it into a good song and share it with others, and I have really been enjoying some of the submissions - I listened to all of the songs and voted on my favorites the last couple of times and really enjoyed doing it partly because there is some really good music in there and partly because I like to support my fellow musicians. Also, it seems that you give the artist some leeway with interpretation. I did put "legos bricks" and "look at the beach" in the lyrics for the spirit of the contest.Now, that being said, why don't you take a listen to my song, and if you think it's worthy, post it? I think that's fair, don't you?
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I don't think you understand how it works.

When they give you a title, you write a song WITH THAT TITLE.

If the title fits the song that you wrote, then submit it with that title. There aren't that many submission rules here, and if you can't even follow that MOST BASIC ONE, then I don't know what to say.

Also, the Fightmasters are way too busy to listen to each song and judge it for inclusion to decide whether it should be put on the site. They are doing this for free and for fun. Try to understand things from their point of view.
lalabrookie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by lalabrookie »

Fluffy, excuse me -I thought it was a theme -didn't realize it had to be a title. Now that I understand that, I can make sure future submissions are titled accordingly. I'm really not stupid, as you imply - I promise! As I said, I'm new to this, so help a sister out and give me a break, OK? :o) After listening to some of the submissions and also reading the boards, it seemed to me that there is a lot of room for interpretation. Some of the posted songs don't even have lyrics, so obviously it's up to each person to decide how to write a song inspired by that title. I did theme my song around the legos/beach title(s) in my own way and just wanted to see what I did wrong/why it wasn't posted. I asked an honest question, Spud told me to make my case, and I did. Spud - I do understand that you are busy and I really do appreciate your feedback and your time. And I don't mind making my case because I seriously (again) love the idea of songfight and am excited to hopefully be able to be a part of it. If you have time to listen to my song and you feel it's worthy, and you want to post it, that would be great because I really did put a lot of time and effort and heart into it. If not, I will submit for the next contest. Thanks again!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I didn't say you were stupid, just that you were ignorant of the concept of the site

And yes, the "many interpretations" thing is pretty much the whole point. It's just that when it says "title," I'd think it was obvious that it's supposed to be, you know, a title.

Welcome to SongFight. Please be awesome.
lalabrookie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by lalabrookie »

Guess my eyes read "title" and my brain coded it "theme"...don't know why, but hey, glad at least I am clear on this now. Thanks!
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Now that this has all been cleared up, I am going to have gone ahead and changed the name of your song and posted it, OK? Oh, and I stuck in a few id3 tags while I was at it. Hope you don't mind.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
lalabrookie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by lalabrookie »

Thanks again! Not too familiar with id3 tags - is this something I should do when I post to help make your job easier?
lalabrookie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by lalabrookie »

I mean before/when I submit the song?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

ID3 tags aren't required but they're a good idea. It's what tells the MP3 player the artist and title and so on. There are many free ID3 tagging apps out there, and your MP3 encoder probably has tagging options as well.
lalabrookie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by lalabrookie »

Cool, I will check that out. Thanks!
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Post by king_arthur »

If you're on a windows machine, just right click on any .mp3 file and select "properties." It will bring up a window to let you edit the ID tags. The "simple" tags are ID2 tags, the "advanced" tags are ID3. This is how it worked on XP anyway, may be different now, and I'm not sure what Mac offers).

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

On the mac, you can just use iTunes.