wiki plz

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Re: wiki plz

Post by king_arthur »

No .mp3 files yet, but I did this today:

http://sfbase.net/wiki/User:King_arthur

It might make more sense to put this in the King Arthur (Artist) page, except that I still haven't been able to determine whether that page gets completely rewritten after a new fight is posted.

By the way, does anybody know how to insert the equivalent of a [ br clear=all ] statement into the wiki? if I left-align one of the CD covers, then the following one appears to the right of it, rather than below it. I'd like to put some text out there to the right, but I need to know how to tell it to stop left aligning the current image.

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

I was planing to create an "Irwin" page somewhere to group together the various "bands" I have submitted with. Would the user page be the right place to do that? Or should I create an "Irwin (artist)" page (even if I have never submitted, nor do I plan to, as Irwin)? Would "Irwin (SongFighter)" be better?
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

king_arthur wrote:It might make more sense to put this in the King Arthur (Artist) page, except that I still haven't been able to determine whether that page gets completely rewritten after a new fight is posted.
No. The table may get overwritten, and the dynamic fields in the artist infobox (latest title), but we'll try very hard to keep everything else intact.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

king_arthur wrote:No .mp3 files yet, but I did this today:

http://sfbase.net/wiki/User:King_arthur

It might make more sense to put this in the King Arthur (Artist) page, except that I still haven't been able to determine whether that page gets completely rewritten after a new fight is posted.
The convention I've used for myself is I've got http://sfbase.net/wiki/fluffy for fluffy-the-person which then links to the pages of my various and sundry musical activities. But I've submitted under a lot, and also wanted to collect my collabs somewhere. (I am certain that a lot of stuff is missing from that page, too.)

What would be really awesome is if there were a template that allows aggregating other artists' submission histories into a single one, so that at least for all my solo projects there will be a single unbroken timeline showing everything I've done from 2001 thru the present. Although on the other hand, most of what I did before Sockpuppet was complete shit (as opposed to the somewhat-shitty stuff I've done as Sockpuppet) so it's a pretty low priority for me.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

FYI, you can add |ForumUID=# to your ArtistInfobox template to link forum profiles. I don't know if this is important or useful - perhaps having artist metapages with their own infobox is more useful in that regard. Anyhow you can see an example of it on my artist page.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Is there a way I can import data from the wiki into the jukebox? MediaWiki supposedly has some kind of an API. Is that set up on your wiki MG?
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

I used a bot to get the data in, so I presume you can use a bot to get the data out. If you need me to install a wiki extension or turn on a setting, lemme know.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

fluffy wrote:The convention I've used for myself is I've got http://sfbase.net/wiki/fluffy for fluffy-the-person which then links to the pages of my various and sundry musical activities. But I've submitted under a lot, and also wanted to collect my collabs somewhere. (I am certain that a lot of stuff is missing from that page, too.)
The problem with both of our solutions is that somebody coming to the main page of the wiki doesn't have any way of finding either of them. They can find the "King Arthur (Artist)" page, so I put a link at the top of that page to my User: page, and you could put one to your "fluffy" page. Somebody suggested having something like "King Arthur (Songfighter)" that would have what my User: page has right now; that would work and there could be a "Songfighters" index linked from the front page and we could insert links to our bio/overview pages, or maybe some tool could populate that list by looking for pages with "(Songfighter)" in the page name.

One of those areas where a naming convention would be useful, and it doesn't exactly make a lot of difference what that convention is. I think jast said that we could even insert all this stuff into our "Artist" page and it wouldn't be wiped out each time the page is updated - that's wy I inserted the pointer to "User: King Arthur") on my Artist page, to see if it's still there in a week or two.

Just tossing out ideas and trying to add a bit of content 'cause sometimes that's the best way to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Charles (KA(Songfighter))
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

Well, I have stuff on my artist page that I don't want to have wiped, so I'm pretty sure I'll try and avoid artist pages getting wiped by updates. :)
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

I'm going to do my best to not overwrite any changes to pages. In the unlikely event, you can always rollback changes.

I still haven't figured out how I'll update for the next fight - I was kind of planning on doing it manually since it's going to be a lot more difficult to automate it.

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:I used a bot to get the data in, so I presume you can use a bot to get the data out. If you need me to install a wiki extension or turn on a setting, lemme know.
I'm thinking of this:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Main_page

I guess it must be enabled if you used a bot as this page says bots use the API:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Bots

It also says bots have to have an account and the account has to have "bot" permissions. I'm checking out some of these Java libraries for using the Media Wiki API:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Client_code#Java

Would you mind perhaps making an SFJukeboxBot account with bot permissions?
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

king_arthur wrote:
fluffy wrote:The convention I've used for myself is I've got http://sfbase.net/wiki/fluffy for fluffy-the-person which then links to the pages of my various and sundry musical activities. But I've submitted under a lot, and also wanted to collect my collabs somewhere. (I am certain that a lot of stuff is missing from that page, too.)
The problem with both of our solutions is that somebody coming to the main page of the wiki doesn't have any way of finding either of them. They can find the "King Arthur (Artist)" page, so I put a link at the top of that page to my User: page, and you could put one to your "fluffy" page. Somebody suggested having something like "King Arthur (Songfighter)" that would have what my User: page has right now; that would work and there could be a "Songfighters" index linked from the front page and we could insert links to our bio/overview pages, or maybe some tool could populate that list by looking for pages with "(Songfighter)" in the page name.
Well, another thing I did was created a category. Maybe I'll change it so that the SF user information is just in the category instead. Or something. There's a lot of ways we could go.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

Lunkhead wrote:Would you mind perhaps making an SFJukeboxBot account with bot permissions?
If you create an account I can go ahead and mark it as a bot.

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I created an account called SFJukeboxBot .
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

........Done.

Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

I just pulled a Paco and documented all of my songs in one or two sentences. Although it was much easier for me. Not that anyone cares... ;)

Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Just be careful when you "pull a Paco"! I care. I'll read them all, Boy-o!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:I turned on MP3 uploads. I think. It will stay that way until people abuse it or my hosting provider kills me.
I wouldn't object to this living on songfight.net. Plenty of space on the dreamhost.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

I have dreamhost as well. I read over their terms carefully and it seems like, even if they're nice people with nice intentions, there's still a possibility of unfortunate consequences.

jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

There always is.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

For whomever is poking at the code that does the import of fight results into the wiki:

if there are five people tied for second place, then the person who got one less vote than those people is not in third place, they're in seventh place. See the "Glass Eye" fight for an example of how that all works out when you've got lots of entries.

By the way, while you're poking at that code, would it be possible to add something that indicates how many entries there were? Instead of just saying my rank in a fight is 3 (or 7, as the case may be), it would indicate 3/24 for a fight with 24 entries.

Thanks,
Charles (KA)
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

Thanks for pointing that out. I plan on doing another import soon, where things like this get fixed and updated. I'm going to have to tackle the import-merging question sooner rather than later.