phpBB stuffs, and things

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.

Moderator: Mods

Eric Y.
Hachikō
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:36 pm

Postby Eric Y. » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:55 pm

a quick question: i know in PHPBB it is possible for there to be a setting for threads to be automatically weeded out after having no posts in a specified amount of time. is there such a setting here? i noticed some of the "other crap" in the "politics and other crap" section have disappeared. i'd hate to see important stuff like reviews and lyrics go away just because nobody is posting to the threads for those fights anymore.
User avatar
jb
Scrappy Dappy
Posts: 3574
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:12 am
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Location: WASHINGTON, DC
Contact:

Postby jb » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:34 pm

tviyh wrote:a quick question: i know in PHPBB it is possible for there to be a setting for threads to be automatically weeded out after having no posts in a specified amount of time. is there such a setting here? i noticed some of the "other crap" in the "politics and other crap" section have disappeared. i'd hate to see important stuff like reviews and lyrics go away just because nobody is posting to the threads for those fights anymore.


this function is enabled for the politics and monkey business forums only. politics is 30 days, monkey business is 60.
User avatar
mkilly
Hachikō
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:22 am
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: Marantz PMD-620
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Postby mkilly » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:36 pm

jb wrote:this function is enabled for the politics and monkey business forums only. politics is 30 days, monkey business is 60.


so they're gone for forever? why's this enabled for politics? or monkey business, for that matter? is disk space that big a concern?
One, two, cha-cha-cha.
User avatar
jb
Scrappy Dappy
Posts: 3574
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:12 am
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Location: WASHINGTON, DC
Contact:

Postby jb » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:33 pm

mkilly wrote:
jb wrote:this function is enabled for the politics and monkey business forums only. politics is 30 days, monkey business is 60.


so they're gone for forever? why's this enabled for politics? or monkey business, for that matter? is disk space that big a concern?


Yes it is.

Board started: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:04 pm
Database size: 4.48 MB

Keep in mind that the auto-pruning only deletes stuff after they haven't been replied to for a certain amount of time. So after a period of time, it's assumed that the topic is dead.

I'd much rather fill the server with reviews and "How To" posts. I'm thinking of turning the pruning on for the collaboration thread also, with like a 60-day limit. That stuff tends to be of-the-moment as well.

If you want to have in depth political discussions with each post preserved for posterity to study when you're dead, perhaps the SFBB isn't the place to do so. Here our opinions are of the present moment, as are our arguments. Stale arguments being brought back to life are lame.

And monkey business is full of links and stuff that is usually dead the week after, so two frikkin' months should be plenty. Unless you care what type of CareBear I was two years ago.
User avatar
bz£
Benji
Posts: 946
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:50 am
Location: boston ma

In 1998 I was feeling like Goth Bear

Postby bz£ » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:40 pm

jb wrote:Unless you care what type of CareBear I was two years ago.


Gosh, you make it sound like we don't care about your historical CareBear tendencies.
User avatar
mkilly
Hachikō
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:22 am
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: Marantz PMD-620
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Postby mkilly » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:02 pm

jb wrote:Board started: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:04 pm
Database size: 4.48 MB


Well, if 5 MB per three weeks is a problem... I dunno, I'm neither the server nor the board administrator. Collaboration threads being pruned after every time new fights are up--like the prefight thread--now that I can understand and even embrace. But the political board, having dead threads could be nice. I mean, in the Marcus Kellis thread there were some nice things said about me, now lost to the ether. Come January 23, 2005, it might be nice to see what we had to say about the debates. Maybe somebody had a great argument or comment that the exact wording or eloquence of which would otherwise be lost. Monkey Business I don't give a crap about, but with the politics thread, I don't see why keeping old threads around is a problem. Having topics expire after 120 days or 180 days would be something I could get behind.
One, two, cha-cha-cha.
User avatar
mkilly
Hachikō
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:22 am
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: Marantz PMD-620
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Postby mkilly » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:27 am

also, seems that the avatar rule isn't working.
One, two, cha-cha-cha.
User avatar
jb
Scrappy Dappy
Posts: 3574
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:12 am
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Location: WASHINGTON, DC
Contact:

Postby jb » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:43 am

mkilly wrote:also, seems that the avatar rule isn't working.


well then perhaps people should work on convincing their msg board compatriots to comply to a simple rule.

'cause the next step is turning off avatars completely. and we all know that's no fun.
User avatar
Mostess
Lassie
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:49 am
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Location: Ann Arbor
Contact:

JB rules

Postby Mostess » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:33 pm

jb wrote:
mkilly wrote:also, seems that the avatar rule isn't working.


well then perhaps people should work on convincing their msg board compatriots to comply to a simple rule.

'cause the next step is turning off avatars completely. and we all know that's no fun.


JB is wonderful. We are lucky to have him. Avatar restraint is the least we can give back.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
User avatar
Poor June
Benji
Posts: 772
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:43 am
Location: Walkertown, NC
Contact:

Postby Poor June » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:54 pm

i completely agree... if my avatar is ever too big... just let me know... and i'd have no problem findin' another

i don't wanna be on too many peoples shit list...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorjunemusic.htm">music page</a>
User avatar
erik
Toto
Posts: 2340
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:06 am
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle
Location: Austin
Contact:

It says 80x80 max if you don't feel like clicking

Postby erik » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:13 pm

Poor June wrote:i completely agree... if my avatar is ever too big... just let me know... and i'd have no problem findin' another

i don't wanna be on too many peoples shit list...


Your avatar is too big.

viewtopic.php?t=14
User avatar
Generic
Owney
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:45 am
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass
Recording Method: Cubase 5AI, Cubase 6
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Hunky
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Postby Generic » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:43 pm

Oh. I thought at first that there was some programming physically preventing me from using my too-big avatar, and then when I saw people using much larger ones, I figured you'd changed your mind.

[STUPID WHINING CUT]

I'm changing mine now.

[EDIT: better? :) ]
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Jon Eric - Get your feel on.
Website powered by Spud's Amazing Website Machine.

Circle of Titles!!!!!!
Lunkhead
Owney
Posts: 5538
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:14 pm
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/reason/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Postby Lunkhead » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:27 am

So, just to clarify, it looks like we've got a mailbox limit of 50 private messages?
User avatar
jb
Scrappy Dappy
Posts: 3574
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:12 am
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Location: WASHINGTON, DC
Contact:

Postby jb » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:04 am

Lunkhead wrote:So, just to clarify, it looks like we've got a mailbox limit of 50 private messages?


see the forum announcements for details, but yes.
Lunkhead
Owney
Posts: 5538
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:14 pm
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/reason/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Postby Lunkhead » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:59 pm

Ah, thanks. I hadn't noticed that thread, since I hadn't looked in that category. The category's description, "Announcements of changes to the forums", didn't really make it clear to me that there was also a thread in it with a post about the basic initial features/parameters/limits of the forums.

Return to “Complaints and Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest