"Our plans are on hold" - archive bug?

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

"Our plans are on hold" - archive bug?

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

http://www.songfight.org/songpage.php?k ... re_on_hold

Problem: "winner: The Wankers" should be "winner: glennny"

The win also isn't showing up on glennny's artist page. I would venture that this is due to the common typo of forgetting the third n in glennny.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: "Our plans are on hold" - archive bug?

Post by Lunkhead »

My guess is it's a copy/paste error as The Wankers were the winners of the previous fight. Could be the previous fight's archive data was copied, pasted, and modified, to create the "Our Plans Are On Hold" data, and the winning artist name was not updated from what was copied and pasted.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Well, no idea how it happened, but it is fixed.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

Manhattan Glutton wrote: I would venture that this is due to the common typo of forgetting the third n in glennny.
Whatever it was, it wasn't that.
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

Lunkhead wrote:My guess is it's a copy/paste error as The Wankers were the winners of the previous fight. Could be the previous fight's archive data was copied, pasted, and modified, to create the "Are Plans Are On Hold" data, and the winning artist name was not updated from what was copied and pasted.
It probably wasn't that, either, as that part of the process is completely automated. No cutting and pasting involved. In fact, I NEVER type the artist's name at any point during the process, unless they neglect to send it to me in the body of their submission email.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

Strangely enough, the SFJukebox wasn't affected. That reads directly from the text file, right Sam?

Do both songfight.org and jukebox calculate the winner from the archive text the same way? Is the winner its own dedicated piece of data, or does it look to the vote total?
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I noticed the Jukebox wasn't effected, which was surprising to me. It does read straight from the secret text file "database". The winning artist name is split out into its own line in the text file, after the fightmaster's summary line. I think I have some janky stuff in my code that may be getting the winner from somewhere else while the fight is still "current" though (e.g. not in the archive yet). I don't have the code handy so I don't remember right now.

By the way, I have my code in BitBucket and could share it with you if you want to sign up (BitBucket is like GitHub only with free unlimited private repos, if you haven't heard of it). Not that I think you're that interested but I feel like more eyes on it could definitely help with its quality. ;)

Just looked at the code, I'm really not sure how the Jukebox didn't get effected. I parse out the line with the winning artist name and when I get to the song with that artist's name I mark the song as a winning song. So I would think if the data had been wrong all along the Jukebox would have wound up with no winning song for the fight. Maybe the data was right initially then got broken? Weird.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

I actually am kind of interested since I've got my own project of bringing Nur Ein into a SQL database, so I'll have to sign up for that someday...

Back to the topic at hand, perhaps the songfight.org page generation got confused?

Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

Lunkhead wrote:Maybe the data was right initially then got broken?
You may be on to something there, Sam.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

Well, whatever happened, thanks for fixing it spud! I'm sure glennny's especially happy.