Friday Submission dates

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
Edge of LA
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Friday Submission dates

Post by Edge of LA »

Not that this is a suggestion or a complaint either, but more of a whiiiiiiney question. Any idea about cycling the submission date back to Monday?

I know others have voiced thoughts on it in a few of the pre-fight threads, but I thought this could be a good venue to discuss. For now I'll just share how Monday's work better for me:

Monday-ish: New Titles are posted, think of possible song ideas.
Tuesday-Friday: Scribble out lyrics, scratch out lyrics, re-scribble lyrics, crumple paper and throw it in the trash and the song idea out the window. Start again.
Noodle with chord progressions, and musical hooks.
Reschedule weekend appointments.
Saturday: Sit down and start laying tracks. Tighten things up. Burn preliminary mix-down and listen, listen, listen, critique.
Sunday: Make adjustments, re-recore or add parts, and remix. It still may not win, but I'm satisfied with it. Submit.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

SSDD? :)

Alternatively you could just backdate this schedule so it starts on Friday ...

Still I'm glad to see that the umpteenth incarnation of this pointless, frustrating thread has appeared. it's a bit like Doctor Who ...

Also, usually when i post my opinion in a thread like this, the opposite is implemented within days, so you could be on a winner ....
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Maybe it's SUPPOSED to be difficult.
Edge of LA
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Edge of LA »

what's "SSDD"???

I can't sit all day Saturdays and Sunday's diddling. It's my best block of time to sit at my computer and try to be productive. I work... ahem, "go into the office" -- M-F and work on writing a little bit at a time at home after work during the week.

My last submission, I was up til 2am on a Wednesday... not so good for me. I tried this week, but it didn't happen. I'll give it a go again when the new titles are posted.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Songfight scheduling demands disorder.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

Edge of LA wrote:what's "SSDD"???
'Same Shit Different Day'
It's from Stephen King's Dreamcatcher.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Can't we coordinate fights with the lunar cycles? That way it slowly evolves and various fights would begin on various days of the week.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

I suppose it depends whether you prefer write and record a song over a weekend then spend the next five days tweaking it...or spend five days writing and two recording. Most of us seem to be the latter.

Whichever day we have for the deadline, it'll be good for some, bad for others, and bearable for most. FWIW though, I really like the idea of variable fight lengths - even if it means the deadline is a Tuesday.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

I think the 10 day fight is best. That way you have just a wee bit more time to get it together, but really does a song need to be happening on a specific time frame. All the SF submissions are either there or not, although I'm guilty of submitting sub-standard work, which blue will attest to, maybe a variation on the week fight every third week to a 10 day one. That ought to f#@k everyone up enough. These days the songs I write for SF are happening over a 2 to 3 day stretch, so it never matters to me realistically when the due date is, just when inspiration hits. But, I love the Monday deadline. Nice to start the work week tired and exhausted from the late nighter for deadline time in the morning on a Monday......

As if the Admin team doesn't have enough to do with the rising population and 4 fight concept.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

The deadlines will fluctuate. Get used to that.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Wait, the deadlines will fluctuate? I thought in that other thread it was decreed that the 7-day fight period was completely essential and inviolate. Now I'm confused. :-P
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

The fightmasters will be inconsistent. Get used to that.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Friday Submission dates

Post by Caravan Ray »

Edge of LA wrote:Not that this is a suggestion or a complaint either, but more of a whiiiiiiney question. Any idea about cycling the submission date back to Monday?

I know others have voiced thoughts on it in a few of the pre-fight threads, but I thought this could be a good venue to discuss. For now I'll just share how Monday's work better for me:

Monday-ish: New Titles are posted, think of possible song ideas.
Tuesday-Friday: Scribble out lyrics, scratch out lyrics, re-scribble lyrics, crumple paper and throw it in the trash and the song idea out the window. Start again.
Noodle with chord progressions, and musical hooks.
Reschedule weekend appointments.
Saturday: Sit down and start laying tracks. Tighten things up. Burn preliminary mix-down and listen, listen, listen, critique.
Sunday: Make adjustments, re-recore or add parts, and remix. It still may not win, but I'm satisfied with it. Submit.
Of course - for some of us, Monday is actually Tuesday - so your whole schedule is a bit out of whack
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

jb wrote:The fightmasters will be inconsistent.
To be pedantic it should be 'are' rather than 'will be'... But that's partially what makes it all so much addictive fun!
If you really want to enter a fight there's plenty of time. You only have yourself to blame yourself if you can't make the deadline.
I wrote and recorded songs for 'Digital Chimera', 'Ancient' and 'Nothing Less Than Everything'... But I didn't get them finished enough, so didn't submit. This is not the deadlines fault.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Re: Friday Submission dates

Post by tonetripper »

Caravan Ray wrote:Of course - for some of us, Monday is actually Tuesday - so your whole schedule is a bit out of whack
Next thing you are gonna tell us is that your water goes the opposite direction to us when it goes down the drain..... :roll:
Father Bingo
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: best at bass, everything else at a passable level
Submitting as: Father Bingo (artwork)

Post by Father Bingo »

tonetripper wrote:All the SF submissions are either there or not, although I'm guilty of submitting sub-standard work ... These days the songs I write for SF are happening over a 2 to 3 day stretch, so it never matters to me realistically when the due date is, just when inspiration hits. But, I love the Monday deadline. Nice to start the work week tired and exhausted from the late nighter for deadline time in the morning on a Monday......
I was going to say pretty much the same thing.

For "Die For Me," I spent all week trying to shoehorn an idea into place. Then Thursday at midnight, I scrapped it and started a completely different song that felt better. Sstayed up till 3 working on it, went to my 9-5 on Friday then came home and finished it up.

Would a weekend or 10 day period have helped? Not really, although I could have spent today adding the literal bells and whistles I wanted to the new song's mix. But the additional instrumentation wouldn't help it that much anyway; none of my SF songs are "finished." I use SF as a fire under my ass to come up with new ideas for my band and record them so they can hear what's in my head. Without a deadline, be it Monday or Firday or Blurnsday, I wouldn't get anything done.

Thanks, SongFight!
*ding!*
(cue theme music and logo)
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

My vote is for whatever the FM's decide.

Songfight is a challenge and the due date is one of the factors. We just have to deal with it.
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

Kamakura wrote:
Edge of LA wrote:what's "SSDD"???
'Same Shit Different Day'
It's from Stephen King's Dreamcatcher.

While not a very good book, I somehow think of the phrase "No Bounce, No Play" like once a month, out of the fucking blue. SSDD I'd heard before.

*catches JB's evil eye* Oh uh, on topic, right.

I can see the purpose behind this suggestion, but sometimes, you do get set back a day or so in updating a fight. Gradually, the week is going to rotate around. I don't think there's any good way around it.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I know this is just farting in the wind, as the FMs will rightfully do whatever they feel like doing, but this schedule came to me in a dream:

Friday: new title and new songs are posted
Two Mondays later: songs are due
Repeat

Everybody gets two weekends to work on their songs, and the FMs have 5 days to get everything ready to update the site.

Anyway, like I said, farting in the wind. I'll take it up with Oust the Mods. ;)
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

I wouldn't push my luck for two weeks of prep time, but I'm in the gang that likes Monday deadlines, even though nobody cares what we like. It's not really the when it's convenient to record versus when it's convenient to write dilemna for me so much as it is that Thursday nights don't seem like a good time for procrastination. If you work (and most of us do) having it due Friday morning means we either have to stay up really late and really foul up our Friday day, or we could have a whole weekend to get it done.

This post actually drew my attention because I don't think I'm going to have time to finish my entry and that bums me out because I really liked where this one was going....

Okay, less talky more recordy.
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

And, if we removed this whole "write a song based on a title provided by fight master" thing then we wouldn't be so l-i-m-i-t-e-d by all these restrictions. Maybe just let people record whenever and post whatever when they're done?
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

Not everyone works mon-fri 9-5.
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.