Time between posts.

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

um....wha? Should I be, like, blushing?

Isn't it possible that the time delay is there to prevent flooding of posts causing the internet to crash? We can't have that....
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

am i being baited?

edit: I dunno...

second edit: JB STRIKES AGAIN!!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!

third edit:

and thus the flaw of no delay is revealed: EDIT EDIT EDIT til you think your conscious getsit.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Generic wrote:That's kind of assy of you, RG.
I totally agree.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

FWIW, I manage a phpBB-driven board elsewhere, and we did get flood-posted once. Basically, the delay between posts serves two purposes:

1: keep people with annoying spammy auto-submit scripts from flooding the board (a 30-second delay makes the difference between seeing two posts a minute versus hundreds, and makes it that much easier to clean up, esp. since people using these scripts don't waste their time if they can't send hundreds a minute);

2: keep people from posting in a flamewar without giving a few moment's thought first.

Then again, I preview my posts before submitting, so what do I know?

[on preview] what fine words I have written. I'm not changing a thing. Heh.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward
Pronouns: he/him

Post by joshw »

MintyHandy wrote:FWIW, I manage a phpBB-driven board elsewhere, and we did get flood-posted once. Basically, the delay between posts serves two purposes:

1: keep people with annoying spammy auto-submit scripts from flooding the board (a 30-second delay makes the difference between seeing two posts a minute versus hundreds, and makes it that much easier to clean up, esp. since people using these scripts don't waste their time if they can't send hundreds a minute);

2: keep people from posting in a flamewar without giving a few moment's thought first.

Then again, I preview my posts before submitting, so what do I know?
I don't think anybody's complaining about the delay between posting different messages. It's the fact that you have to wait to edit the existing message that you just posted. I don't know if it's a bug in phpBB or a badly configured setting, though. Either way, very annoying.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

There is only one such delay parameter in phpbb. It was lowered from 30 seconds to 5 seconds about a week ago.

End of discussion?*

*probably not
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening