Time between posts.

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Time between posts.

Post by sparks »

Can you guys switch this down to just one or two seconds, like I did on the WF boards? I have a serious beef with this. Some boards, where the moderators actually think it helps protect against some kind of imaginary invader, have it set to half a minute or more, and it drives me insane, but I'm pretty sure you guys have it at the default 15 seconds or something and just haven't thought about it. It's in admin, config, then a field somewhere in the middle.

I mean, I know it's not a -big- deal, but every time I post something and then go back to edit one or two words, I have to hit back, then sit there staring at the screen for twenty seconds before I can hit send again. I do this on almost every post I make. I am a fast typist and a huge nitpicker, so maybe I really am the only one it affects. If that's the case, ignore me. Thanks!
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

Preview before submit
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

That is the lamest thing I've ever heard.

(Edited in after seeing: "You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.")

You don't actually do that shit, do you?
Last edited by sparks on Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Actually, I don't mind this APART from when I am sending PMs. More often than not (Octofest, collabs) I need to send PMs to multiple people - and having to wait 45 seconds between posting is an inconvenience. Might I request either disabling this limitation just for PMing, or incorporating multiple users in a single PM????

j$
Last edited by j$ on Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

PhpBB doesn't make that distinction to my knowledge, unless you could change the source. And why would you actually want to keep it on for forum posts, but not PMs? Is there some rationale here?

I don't see what the purpose of the actual delay is. We have never had a spam-poster, and I don't imagine we're going to get one. And if someone was that fucking desperate to post some message one billion times he wouldn't really be stopped by a stupid delay. It just defaults to whatever setting it's at when you install the boards to make the micromanaging twits happy I suppose.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

sparks wrote:That is the lamest thing I've ever heard.

You don't actually do that shit, do you?
Man, if I had a dollar for every time someone said that to me! I like to change things right after I type them and I've found that it's a lot easier to do it that way. It's not like anyone will find out, if you're ashamed of preview or something. :)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

sparks wrote:why would you actually want to keep it on for forum posts, but not PMs? Is there some rationale here?.
Yes, there is.
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

I am. Plus it's the principle of the thing.

Plus I don't always know if I'm going to edit it. Or something. Or I read it, and I like it, and then a few seconds later I want to edit it. Or I read it, and I fix it, and then I read it again and I don't like it and I want it to go back, or to be changed to something else altogether.

Dude, let's just get rid of the delay. I promise, no one will miss it. Not even those people who miss how the image in the upper left corner used to link to the same thing as the link right below it.

No one spam posts, and it's not long enough to keep me from posting up an incoherent storm when I feel like it--it's just long enough to piss people off when they're editing their posts. And no matter how long it is, it still won't keep Hoblit from replying to a thread with "Hahaha".

Seriously, there is someone in the world who would fight you to the death to keep any piddly little thing exactly how it is. And I will gladly fight that person to the death to change that piddly little arbitrary thing.

I have caffeine pills.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

sparks wrote:I have caffeine pills.
Try Valium. :wink:
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

Kamakura wrote:
sparks wrote:I have caffeine pills.
Try Valium.
Try sleep. It keeps you alert for longer.

[Message edited to say: The delay is annoying. I had to count to 30 before editing this message.]
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Yeah, it bothers me also. For edits, that is. I even use the preview, but there are things that I don't catch sometimes. I don't post enough to care about the delay with regard to separate posts.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Errr, wow. You're really worked up about this aren't you? Learn to read faster. Learn to key more accurately. Learn to compose and edit in your head.

And gosh, is losing a couple seconds of your life to making sure what you've keyed in is what you want to say is so horrific? The world hangs on no one's words. Learn to use the preview.

To mutilate a paraphrased quote from Churchill, "...but I will be sober in the morning." Read into that what you will. :P

I've really got to stop reading threads before the morning's coffee sinks in. Save the fucking spotted owls, man.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

...is that directed at sparks or me?
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

I'm Spartacus!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

john m wrote:...is that directed at sparks or me?
Oops, sorry. Sparks was on the receiving end of that one.

I'm Spartacus! Or rather, the Tony Curtis character, heh.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

sparks wrote:I am. Plus it's the principle of the thing.

Plus I don't always know if I'm going to edit it. Or something. Or I read it, and I like it, and then a few seconds later I want to edit it. Or I read it, and I fix it, and then I read it again and I don't like it and I want it to go back, or to be changed to something else altogether.

Dude, let's just get rid of the delay. I promise, no one will miss it. Not even those people who miss how the image in the upper left corner used to link to the same thing as the link right below it.

No one spam posts, and it's not long enough to keep me from posting up an incoherent storm when I feel like it--it's just long enough to piss people off when they're editing their posts. And no matter how long it is, it still won't keep Hoblit from replying to a thread with "Hahaha".

Seriously, there is someone in the world who would fight you to the death to keep any piddly little thing exactly how it is. And I will gladly fight that person to the death to change that piddly little arbitrary thing.

I have caffeine pills.
Ha ha ha ha h...thats good stuff right there..ha ha ha ha
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Hoblit wrote:
sparks wrote:I am. Plus it's the principle of the thing.

I have caffeine pills.
Ha ha ha ha h...thats good stuff right there..ha ha ha ha
And incoherent. And rambling. And disturbingly threatening there at the end. And easily preventable on all counts by simply contemplating a post in it's entirety by using the preview button and proof reading the damn thing. What is the issue with that? A preference for knee jerk reactions that force someone to go back and explain what they really meant? I just don't get it. I think the admin's should increase the time to something ridiculous like 5 minutes to really get folks to blow a gasket over it.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Yeah sparks, quit your disturbingly threatening challenges of fights to the death.

*blink*
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

The preview button never helps me.......

I love black licorice..........
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:Errr, wow. You're really worked up about this aren't you? Learn to read faster. Learn to key more accurately. Learn to compose and edit in your head.

And gosh, is losing a couple seconds of your life to making sure what you've keyed in is what you want to say is so horrific? The world hangs on no one's words. Learn to use the preview.
That's kind of assy of you, RG.

I'm on Sparks' side here. Would it really have any effect on you at all if the time were reduced? No. It would make a few of us happier, and it would have no effect at all on the others.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I like the delay. It gives me a moment to contemplate all the potential spelling errors I'm gonna spot... and ignore. I think I've goten burned on the delay MAYBE twice... where I wrote something stupid (WHOA!! RELAX DEAR READER!!!! ...it does happen on occasion... I'm not infalliable) and before I could edit it... WHAMO!! Flamtardo.

But ya know, those flamtardos were kinda fun in a way, and I really would n't change how much I offended the hipster with my obtuse saracsm... because I believe it brought us closer together... into a harmonious union of musical minds. A loving embrace of tonal superiority. Like two lover's ina city park, who had a brutal fight about the cerbral pooper scooper but then made up in violent passion behind the water fountain.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Leaf wrote:I like the delay.
What delay?
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy