SongFight! SMS

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

SongFight! SMS

Post by reve »

Sometimes I'm not at a computer when the new titles (or, for that matter, the previous week's winners) are announced.... And this makes me sad.

The solution, of course, is to have these things sent to my cell phone via SMS.

This could be accomplished with a couple perl modules. (A third party could do it... but they'd have to keep hitting the SF servers to find out when the updates happend. While this is kinda rude, I don't think grabbing the straight text off the main page every fifteen minutes would have a big impact on SF's net bandwidth usage...)

Plus it would be wicked cool.

Is there interest in doing this officially, or objections if someone were to put something together a client on their own?
-- reve mosquito.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward
Pronouns: he/him

Post by joshw »

Wouldn't it make more sense to have just plain old email announcements? More people would benefit from them (I wanted them when I was fighting), and power users could route them to their phones or whatever else if they wanted to.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Hey, I have an even better idea. Let's post the new titles on a website, where people can check them at their leisure!
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

Spud wrote:Hey, I have an even better idea. Let's post the new titles on a website, where people can check them at their leisure!
If they were usually posted on time, that would be a nifty idea.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

To be honest, does an extra few hours really help you that much? Sure, if you're bored and want to do a SF song but don't know the new titles, just write random lyrics and chords and whatnot and bend them to fit the title in the next few hours when you check the site.

Fightmaster's have lives outside SF. Suck it up.
Songfighter since back in the day.
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

Spud wrote:Hey, I have an even better idea. Let's post the new titles on a website, where people can check them at their leisure!
See, for me it's that the county office of education blocks songfight because they consider it a game, and therefore not something students should be looking at.
Bjam wrote:To be honest, does an extra few hours really help you that much?
Oh, not at all. It's the excitement factor!!
-- reve mosquito.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

reve wrote:
See, for me it's that the county office of education blocks songfight because they consider it a game, and therefore not something students should be looking at.
Wow, they've actually *thought* about Song Fight and come to a decision?
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

reve wrote:
Find a friend to e-mail you the titles then :P
Songfighter since back in the day.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

reve wrote: See, for me it's that the county office of education blocks songfight because they consider it a game, and therefore not something students should be looking at.
Heh! Funnily enough, Songfight! is one of the few websites that the Government of [name of Australian state deleted] doesn't block as an "entertainment" site - but I still can't perouse at work because there are nazi's watching me - and there is a very good chance that "Caravan Ray" isn't the sort of person that would nornally be employed as a senior public servant

SMS isn't the answer for me though. I think I can now officially call myself an "old fart" - because not only have I never sent an SMS and have no idea how to send one, nor how to receive one - I find myself with no desire at all of ever wanting to learn.

In my day, we sent SMS's with two Milo tins and a piece of string and they cost thripence ha'penny a minute.....

...and speaking of public servants - Spud's new avatar is getting me hot "...yes Sir, Mr Acting Permanent Under-Secretary, I've got some briefs you can take down..."