Doctor Strange

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Doctor Strange

Post by Lunkhead »

Marvel does it again with another very entertaining movie, and some particularly amazing visuals this time around to boot. They stretch further out into the more "fringe" aspects of the Marvel comic world, introducing the multiverse, the mirror universe, the dark universe, and it mostly works. B+

I wonder how long they can keep going like this ... ?
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Re: Doctor Strange

Post by Niveous »

I agree with the B+. Great casting. Incredible visuals. A fun film. Excellent after credit scenes. Good all around.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

I finally saw this over the weekend. Maybe I should have seen it in 3D because I thought it was pretty mediocre. Not that much of a story, very little drama, not very engaging characters. I hope that somehow Dr. Strange becomes more interesting now that we have his origin story out of the way. Otherwise, he will likely be a footnote in the next Avengers movie or whatever.

Maybe I just couldn't buy Benedict Cumberbatch as an American. Couldn't they have just let him be British?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

The comic character is American. I think they got into enough trouble as it was, changing the Ancient One from the admittedly awful 60s stereotypical old Asian wise man to a bald white British lady. Plus they made Baron Mordo black and British too. I don't really remember Doctor Strange being such a jokester either. Some are positing that they made the character more like Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark, so if/when Robert Downey bows out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe they still have a popular character in the same vein.

Anyway, we saw it in 3D and I can say it didn't change the story, conflicts, or characters at all. I think this is just another case of how movies struggle to balance those qualities against action sequences and visual effects and tie-ins to franchises and all the other stuff that has to get crammed into big action blockbusters, similar to Fantastic Beasts. This one resonated with me more for whatever reason, maybe due to familiarity with the comic character and interest in how things tie in to the greater universe.