Wonder Woman

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Wonder Woman

Post by Lunkhead »

We just saw this tonight. I thought it was entertaining and very well put together. Very few times did I find the dialogue to be distractingly horrible like I expected. I thought the story overall worked well, good pacing, good if simplistic and predictable characterizations and themes. I would guess they leaned harder into keeping it in well worn straightforward good vs evil territory in a still relatively sincere seeming way after the blowback from all the failed attempts at "nuance" and a "grittier tone" of the last few DC movies. I think that's smart because I'd rather watch mediocre writers competently use sound tropes versus failing miserably at writing something beyond their depth. I enjoyed most of the action, particularly the big middle action sequence. The DC movie "god like beings fighting each other by flying into each other over and over" thing though, it doesn't do anything for me at this point. I'd much rather have something like the close quarters three-way fist fight between Captain America, Iron Man, and the Winter Soldier at the end of Civil War. Of course, it would be great if anybody could think of a way to conclude movies like these other than a climactic fist fight. Anyway, awesome to see a sound woman superhero movie and one directed by a woman as well no less. Take that, Zack Snyder! B+
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: Wonder Woman

Post by j$ »

Yeah, I liked it a lot. On one level, a fairly standard superhero movie, only it's very engaging and you can't underestimate the impact of it being female-led. A few weird plot-holes and strange edit choices and for me the end wasn't as impactful as they clearly hoped it would be but not only the first good DC superhero movie but one that stands proud against a fair amount of the Marvel canon thus far.

j$
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Wonder Woman

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

The wife and I saw this last night. She liked it. I liked it, too.

My major complaint is that the queen (what's her name?) on the island has a pretty shitty reason for not divulging information to Diana which led to putting her into more danger via ignorance. It was necessary for the plot, but completely unbelievable otherwise. It easily could have been explained better by way of teaching her "humanity" etc., but it wasn't.

Otherwise, it was better than I feared and lived up to what I was told.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang