Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Post by Adam! »

The best animated feature of the year, imo. Much, much funnier than the fall’s other notable claymation movie. The animation isn’t as money as Corpse Bride’s, but it has more heart. This movie is overflowing with wit. The action scenes are on par with the climax of The Wrong Trousers; that is to say they are fantastic and entertaining. The overtly-cutesy-bunnies didn’t make me go “Awwwwwwâ€
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Saw this yesterday with the family.
I pretty much agree with everything Puce said (although I haven't seen Corpse Bride yet). W&G moved at about the pace I expected it to, having seen the animated shorts many times.
It was very nice to see no musical numbers. This was my biggest fear about the movie. It seems whenever a TV-length animated feature makes the jump to the big screen, they turn it into a friggin' musical to pad it out. Not here. This was a long, well-written episode.

A couple plot elements left me a little confused, but there's no need to go into it since:

1) It's a bit early to pollute the thread with spoilers; and
2) Plot consistency is not too important witht his one, at least at the nitpick level I'm talking about.

I'd see it again, and I'll probably own the DVD. What am I saying, my kids are gonna MAKE me get this one.

A-
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

As you would expect the four of us went to support this great British institution. Wallace and Grommit was a staple part of my two kids growing up with regular outings on TV at Christmas time and repeated playing of VHS.

We loved it and found this to be the best 84 minutes of fun we have had as a family at the movies in a long time. This movie will have you leaving the movie smiling and humming.

A few of the jokes struck us as being very British which of course we liked. The adult puns and double entendres ("They've been nibbling me brassicas") were extremely mild (seaside postcard humor) but enough to keep an adult paying attention to the dialogue chuckling while the kids roll with the next visual joke.

I actually thought that Victor was the weakest of the characters but the vicar was awesome as a wacky support character. It was awesome to hear the voices of some great British stars in the support cast. Peter Kay and Nicholas Smith (Mr Rumbold from 'Are you being served') added considerably to PC Mackintosh and the vicar respectively and Liz Smith and Geraldine McEwan as the voices of two of the lady gardeners.

Cracking fun!!! :D

EDIT: Oh and the Madagascar Penguins short before the main movie was very funny too....also made me feel all Christmasy in October :-). Also had the trailer for an animated movie called Over the Hedge which looks very very good!
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

I agree with it's awesomeness.

http://www.aardmarket.com/wg/productdet ... er=402/006 If you want to buy me a present. :)
Songfighter since back in the day.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Sheriff said the warehouse contained sets, props and models from the company's productions, from the children's cartoon character "Morph"

With the sad loss of Morph a little piece of my childhood died :cry:

http://www.toonhound.com/morph.htm
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

that's terrible. :(

sadness aside, i can't wait to see this movie.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

a big fat A. great movie. my girlfriend went into it knowing she'd hate it, but she left loving it. and my girlfriend is the pickiest person in the world when it comes to music and movies. therefore, this movie is Good.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Don't mind me, I'm just breezing through the movie threads...

Followup: This DVD still sees a lot of playing time at our house. Cars and The Incredibles don't get watched much; more time is spent on their PS2 video game versions, actually. But The Wererabbit still makes a welcome appearance from time to time.

This might be due in part to the addition of Creature Comforts Seasons 1&2 to our collection. Aardman's a pretty hot property over here.

(terrible warehouse fire pun entirely unintended :roll: )
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I really enjoyed this... we got as a gift the boxset that has this movie plus the three W&G shorts. Jim, tell more about Creature Comforts?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas