Walk the Line

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Walk the Line

Post by Sober »

I'm surprised there's not already a thread for this.

I'm stepping out the door right now to see it. I expect to either love it or be completely disgusted by it. Like biting into an unfamiliar mollusk-type dish. Or something.
🤠
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

Fan-fricken-tastic.

Not as good as Ray, but basically, it's the same movie.

It's like the same cake, but with different ingredients. And boy, is that cake delicious.

Phoenix gave a surprisingly good performance.

Reese Witherspoon is probably about the hottest thing out right now.
🤠
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

The Sober Irishman wrote:Not as good as Ray, but basically, it's the same movie.
Okay, I saw Ray. And I would go so far as to say that it's a good movie. But I like it based on the acting skills (and vocal mimicry) of Jamie Fox, not because of the actual movie itself. I thought that the constant flaskbacks were hackneyed, melodramatic and overused; and I thought that the ending felt horribly tacked on and anticlimatic.

Is "Walk the Line" the same way? I really think that Phoenix and Witherspoon are talented actors. Are they the best thing about this movie? Aside from their performances, how would you rate this movie?
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

Oh, the cheese-factor is certainly the same, as far as the textbook, formulaic elements used in the movie. I think the performances given were pretty awesome.

I'm not sure if I can objectively give this movie a [good], but I can say that I enjoyed it, for what that's worth.

I wonder, is this the next trend in movies? The last major trend seemed to be war movies, and I don't know that I would mind seeing a bunch of Hollywood biografies about every musician ever.
🤠
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

It was a good movie with great music. Only downside: at well over two hours it's a little slow. A-

Interesting Factoid: Johnny and June chose Joaquin and Reese themselves.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

erikb wrote:
The Sober Irishman wrote:Not as good as Ray, but basically, it's the same movie.
Okay, I saw Ray. And I would go so far as to say that it's a good movie. But I like it based on the acting skills (and vocal mimicry) of Jamie Fox
I thought Jamie Fox sounded nothing like me.
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

There are peaks of greatness that cannot be scaled.

Well, I'm seeing it again tomorrow, so I'll be able to be more picky. Also, I found that all the singing is done by "Wahkeen" and Reese, where in Ray it was a little bit of Jamie and a little bit of Ray. I was impressed by this.
🤠
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

and hopefully jouaquaiiiaieeeen (or however it's spelled) does a better job with the singing than jamie did.
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

Wow.
🤠
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

I finally saw this on Friday night, I can't believe it took me so long, and that I was even considering going to bed before it came on.

I loved it, the ending brought a cheesily beautiful tear to my eye and every step up to that was really great. It has left quite an impression on me; in fact I went and bought Johnny Cash at San Quentin the following day.

I'd never really noticed how much Joaquin Phoenix could look like JC before, and I've never seen what the fuss about Reese Witherspoon was all about till now too, but I totally forgot that she was Reese Witherspoon for the duration of the film (and possibly beyond). Whatever accolades they got for that film (of which I am completely oblivious) are totally deserved.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I also just saw this for the first time last week.

Truly great movie. Joachim Phoenix was amazing. Reese Witherspoon totally deserved her Oscar, and Joachim has the right to feel suitably pissed-off he missed out
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

It was indeed a great movie. I still prefer Ray, but I'm not sure why they have to compete against one another.

It's odd but the only thing that bugged me about the film was how small Juaquin was, by that I mean, Johnny Cash was a BIG guy, he towered over everyone around him, his physical presence was as big as his voice. It's a small gripe, just curious if that bothered anyone else?
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I saw it on a flight and loved it, and was so inspired I wrote a great song (if I do say so) for my wife in the 20 minutes between the end of the movie and landing. The vocals need to be redone but I recorded this last fall and hope to finish it immediately after that other committment.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

I thought it was pretty good, but it primarily made me like Johnny Cash less.