X Men 3

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

X Men 3

Post by Bjam »

Just got back from seeing this. My brother hated it, I liked it. Not as good as X2, but still pretty good. The flow of the movie is a little weird(for example, in one shot it's sunset, the next shot is dark night time. Guh.) And the character development is, uh, lacking, but it's fun. Things go boom. People fight. Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, and Kelsey Grammar were by far the best in the movie. But duh. Halle Berry is blargh and she can go shove her stupid acting somewhere else.

There's a scene after the credits, so stay till the end.

And after the X Men go off to Save The Day, there's a wooooonderful shot of Hugh Jackman walking to the plane dealie. Oh god. That ass. Made the $10.50 totally worth it.

(We got a trailer for Ghost Rider. Oh gosh, funniest silly looking serious movie.)
Songfighter since back in the day.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

more juggernaut

Post by mkilly »

I, too, went to a midnight showing.

B+. acting was good, effects were great, direction was mostly solid, tempo was good. the script was kind of lacking. but y'know, it's hard to write a good script. ask mo. a lot of people will see the movie because they're fans of the comics, so they'll place more value on the script, but from where I'm standing, it didn't really stop me from having a good time and enjoying the film. uhh, without expanding on it in here, though, the last scene and then the post-credits epilogue--gosh, that's cheap.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

I saw it at midnight as well. total disapointment. The great thing about the first 2 X-Men movies (and the second one in particular) is that you develop a relationship with the characters, both good and bad. There was absolutely no connection with the audience in thihs one. The new characters were barely introduced and given absolutely no time to develop, and the established characters were thin, particularly Professor X. The film itself felt more like a series of disjointed scenes thrown together, and while several of the action scenes were pretty cool, the over all movie was pretty boring.

As a fanboy, there were some cool nerd moments. Seeing the fastball special (even though Colossus still only had 2 lines and is now, apparently, american). Kitty Pryde and Jamie Madrox, one of my all tiem favorite characters, were good, but they changes so many characters powers (Psylock is a chamelion? Callisto has super speed? Juggernaut is a mutant?) that the comic book nerd in me felt just as let down as the film nerd.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ratner is a hack.
C

ps: I called the "secret scene" after the credits 10 minutes into the movie. They telegraphed it pretty hard.
White people, is you funky?
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

As a fanboy, did you like the revision of the Dark Phoenix storyline?
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I haven't seen it yet, but the ending of X2 left me really hopeful that they'd go wholy into the Dark Phoenix storyline with X3. It doesn't look like that's the case, which is too bad. I'm worried I'm not going to like this one. Does anybody know if this is supposed to be the last sequel?
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Lunkhead wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but the ending of X2 left me really hopeful that they'd go wholy into the Dark Phoenix storyline with X3. It doesn't look like that's the case, which is too bad. I'm worried I'm not going to like this one. Does anybody know if this is supposed to be the last sequel?
Halle Berry and Ian McKellen have said it's going to depend on the box office for a fourth canon film, but spinoffs starring Mystique and Wolverine are thought to be in the works--Wolverine particularly has a strong likelihood of happening. Um, like all the movie is about a cure for the mutations, and how Phoenix affects that (though the Phoenix of the film isn't exactly like the Phoenix of the comics).
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

Niveous wrote:As a fanboy, did you like the revision of the Dark Phoenix storyline?
No. Obviously you can't go into the whole pheonix force thing in the movie, but their explaination was laughable (literally. Several people in the theater laughed out loud when Professor X explained who Pheonix was.) And again, absolutely no character development. Jean as Pheonix had no motovation, no emotion, and no character... and I really don't believe it's Jensen's fault. There were countless ways they could have made this story work without involving cosmic stuff, but instead they decided to create a rather boring and watered down version. Honestly, for as much as the movie was supposed to be about Jean and the Pheonix, it was not really about that at all.

The buzz around town is that if this does well (and I'm sure it will dispite being a weak movie) the next two X franchise films are Wolverine (I'm pretty damn sure that will happen), and Magneto (from what I understand, the script is about him during WWII). There are rumors of a Mystique movie, but they are faint. I'd expect to see Wolverine in about 2 years. Who knows about the X-Men franchise. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see another, but I imagine it won't be for a while.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Crap. C-
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I agree with prayformojo

I was disapointed. Some of the action was fun and the effects were pretty neat but that doesn't carry it for me.

I saw it with a group and we left as soon as the credits started to roll..so at some point I'll have to figure out how to catch that last after credits scene.
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by prayformojo »

Hoblit wrote: I saw it with a group and we left as soon as the credits started to roll..so at some point I'll have to figure out how to catch that last after credits scene.
You're not missing much.
raisedbywolves
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by raisedbywolves »

Enjoyable crap. B-
Aren't you the guy that hit me in the eye?
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

B-. Overwhelming changes to the existing source material make this pretty depressing, since it kills off the possibility of a legitimate followup. I'd loved the first two, and I did enjoy this one, but (I guess this is a spoiler topic anyway) killing off main characters is pretty dumb. That's worse than anime fillers, there. That's just stupid.
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

It was fun, but I kept cringing at the dialogue. Just stick with the ass-kicking maybe.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

This actually broke my heart a few times. Some really interesting dramatic shit going on in the midst of some slightly shoddy scriptwork. I thought so anyway. Worst audience I've ever sat with though. This one kid was explaining in Spanish what was going on the whole time to his dad.

SPOILER SORT OF?

And some drunk guys got up right at the funeral scene after I'm sitting there like "oh. My. God." And they're all like, "I'VE HAD TO PISS FOR LIKE 20 MINUTES!"

END OF SPOILER AND POST. YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST STOPPED AFTER THE FIRST PART IF YOU DIDN'T WANT ANYTHING SOMEWHAT SPOILED.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

Way to fuck up the source material.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Edge of LA
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Edge of LA »

I was disappointed with the film. The best word I could use for it is "weak".

I am a fan of the comics. I had the original Phoenix episode. I think that is one of the first comics I paid more attention to the story versus the pictures, although I'll admit that she looked hot in her green and gold outfit.

Anyhow, "weak". I may have had more expectation of the battle scene, after all it IS called "The Last Stand". Maybe I got spoiled by TLOTR and Narnia battle scenes.

I am glad that Storm had a bigger part this time around. The character was pretty much ignored the first two films (maybe because of Halle). I had hoped they would cast Imaan for the part.

I missed the ending clip, but read about it. Hmmmm.
Maaah SPOON is TOO BIG! ----

http://moxieprophets.com
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I saw it with Ken and Erin tonight, and I enjoyed it, though I definitely have mixed feelings about the wild variations from the comics. Maybe the bad reviews here set my expectations low so I enjoyed it more, I dunno. I didn't laugh at the Phoenix explanation, rather I put my head in my hands and groaned. That was indeed super lame. I'm not sure I buy into the end of the final battle scene, either. I was hoping that one particular mutant would be part of the end of the character arc of anoher, since what actually happened was not plausible. Dang, hard not to include spoilers here. Maybe we need a different thread for discussion of this one with spoilers? I'm curious what other current or former comics nerds would say about it. Anyway, I actually liked the Beast, and I didn't think the dialog was as bad as the reviews here led me to believe it would be. The final moments of some of the characters didn't work so great for me. Overall I'd say B. Maybe B+.
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by prayformojo »

$103,125,000 box office. 4th highest opening weekend ever.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Wow, that's completely insane. I guess they'll be doing X4 after all, huh? ;)
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

They'd be dumb not to I guess.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

not necessarily.

I mean, after X2... you had to buy into X3 if there were to be one...there was and so we all totally bit on it. Theres your big money weekend.

HOWEVER, after seeing X3, I'm not going to just bite into X4 as many of you may not either. Sure, maybe I'll rent it next time around, but I'm not gonna run out and see it opening night (or weekend).
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm totally going to see it opening weekend. Awesome!!

Don't forget, I bought comic after comic after comic. I have proven myself to be a sucker. ;)