Cars

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Cars

Post by stueym »

This movie is worthy of it's own thread rather than being buried in the Summer Movie Season thread.

I really enjoyed this. Yes I agree it does not have the blow your mindness of the Incredibles but I thought the whole thing was pretty amazing. We saw this in a DLP screen and if you can I heartily reccomend it, the clarity of the light effects and reflections was awesome. All I will say is tricked out neon "rice racers" and cherry red flake never looked so damned fine!

Long movie for little kids and even with the premium pricing of our DLP screen the theater was still full of them. Story zips along nicely with a couple of draggy bits, but the structure was pretty nicely complex for animation.

Shout-outs to contemporary racers of course, but the homage to previous Pixar movies and shorts was fun to watch for (and yes you have to watch pretty closely in some part's as they do fly past quite literally in some cases)

Things I loved: Highlight as spoilers be hidden here:

The 'VW Bug' Bugs...awesome
The Italian 500 who despises american racing and the special cameo by Italian speaking Michael Shcumacher as a bright red Ferrari flanked by two Maserati's
The credit's homage to John Ratzenberger

That is all folks, Go see it on a big screen cos it is beatiful to look at.
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

It is pretty. The story didn't do much for me, but from an artistic point of view it was really beautiful. It also didn't focus as much on Nascar than I thought it would., and everything that was 'Nascar' was general things(one could call them stereotypes).

Spoilers below, I guess... I'll tiny them up.

Schumacher as an Italian threw me. He's German for goodness sake! Now if they'd gotten a real Italian like Fisichella, then... :D

It's not as good as the 'classics'. And it makes me feel old when they show the clips from other movies at the end, and the kids in the audience in the cinema are Clapping and Oohing and Oh Mom Look At Thating for Monsters Inc but are silent for Toy Story.

And what's the deal with every kids movie coming out being crappy CGI? Blegh.
Songfighter since back in the day.
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

I went and saw this the other day. Just me and my girlfriends nephew (recently 5 years old).

I thought it was good. I am not inclined to attach awesomeness to it, although I will admit that some of the scenery was somewhat amazing. The story was nice, although the pacing could have been picked up a bit. Especially given that a lot of kiddies were going to watch this, and it clocked in somewhere at 1:45 - 2 hours or so.

The Boy got a bit sqeemish in some parts (like the 'love scene'), just because it wasn't really that punchy, but more emotional. He was more interested in all the racing, be it on the track, down the road or across a field.

The characters were good. As was the voice acting. Although Wilson as Lightnings voice was a little annoying. Possibly because he was supposed to be a race car, but often just talks so ponderously slow.

I will admit, though, that is was a movie that both kids and adults could go to and comfortably get something out of it.

B-ish