Ealing Comedy

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Ealing Comedy

Post by furrypedro »

Just thought of this after somebody mentioned Ladykillers in the Coen brothers thread.

I've only seen a couple of them, Ladykillers being one and that didn't really hold my attention very well despite having Alec Guiness and Peter Sellers in it. As such I can't really comment on it. I'd like to watch it again though, in case I missed the point.

The Lavender Hill Mob on the other hand is fantastic. Like most of these films it's totally farcical but the plot twists are hilarious, and what I really love about it is that it is acted brilliantly. Guiness could carry the film purely on his array of facial expressions, it's great.

anyroad, I need to watch more of 'em, but I know somebody with a box-set so it's gonna be aaalright.

Anybody seen any of the others? any recommendations? I've heard Passport to Pimlico is good...
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Re: Ealing Comedy

Post by stueym »

Furrypedro wrote: I've heard Passport to Pimlico is good...
Passport is wonderful, there is terrific ridiculousness in the situations and the characters are extremeley well rounded, especially the main family.

Given my background Whisky Galore is my all time favourite have spent many happy summers in the Western Highlands on vacation. Based on a real life event and the novel by Compton Mackenzie and has some of my favourite actors of all time in it.

If you like Alec Guiness then try the Man in the White Suit. A little slower paced than some of the others, but the premise of the story was of it's time with a simulataneous fear and love of what science might bring.

Kind Hearts and Coronets is really fun if you get off on Alec using all his talents to be 8 people at once. The story is pretty funny and the situation lasts well throughout the movie with as usual a thoughtful ending leaving you thinking.

Fo anyone on this board who can even remember 'Beachings axe' (British Rails efforts to kill off the small branch lines after nationalisation) then The Titfield Thunderbolt is fun and very evocative of the time and political commentary contained within. Again Plucky villagers challenge the bureacracy which like in Whisky Galore is a recurring theme.

Crap I know a lot about mid 1950's Ealing movies. God Bless the BBC for buying the studio in 1955 and putting them on BBC2 in the rainy afternoons of my youth. I was made much the richer for watching them and growing to love them

FP....try and track down as many of these as you can as they are great lazy sunday afternoon movies that definitely leave you feeling good.
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Hey Stuey, thanks for the overview.
I will be investigating further for sure.