Miami Vice

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Miami Vice

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I've heard nothing but shit about this movie, but I just watched it and it was awesome. It might be a little imbalanced due to the sheer density of stuff they're taking on, and there was a criminal underuse of Justin Theroux (although who knew he could be an action star), but it looked incredible, had really solid performances from the main characters, and had some really REALLY incredible writing. At first I thought Mann was being lazy, the motivations behind the characters' actions were almost not there. But I realized halfway through what an incredible effect he was creating, you couldn't read any of the characters, the entire plot could have branched into a million directions at any point. On top of this, some incredibly realistic action and well-used violence, plus fast cars/boats for flash. A really really great addition to the already-impressive Michael Mann's body of work.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Justin Theroux was in an action movie already:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0305357/
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Right. Well. Thanks for clearing that up.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

I loved it. It conveys a mood quite well. It's really despairing and tough. The fact that the characters are basically unreadable only amplifies it. It looks beautiful too. This review sums it up pretty well, I think.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Miami Vice

Post by JonPorobil »

WeaselSlayer wrote:I've heard nothing but shit about this movie...
Yeah, I've never really cared much about anything Peter Travers has had to say either.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
raisedbywolves
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by raisedbywolves »

I guess I'll be the dissenting voice on this one too. It was boring and I kind of hated it. How do you spend $135 million on a movie shot on video? Why use the "Miami Vice" brand name if you're going to consciously sever all ties to the show except location and character names? Why can't Michael Mann make a movie that's not Shoah-length anymore? What's with the crappy nu-metal? Is this 1997? D
Aren't you the guy that hit me in the eye?
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Peter Travers is a cock, even if he agrees with me. I wasn't talking critics, I was talking actual human beings.
jezebelus
A New Player

Post by jezebelus »

This movie is sooooo bad I wanna puke when I remember I had to watch it. Its one of those movies where you wait for something interesting to happen during the whole movie and at the end you feel like fool cause of watching it. Very bad movie interesting only for Colin Farrell fans (gay boys and fancy girls :roll: )