Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

I liked it. was good. I figured it would be more stylized in terms of costume design, etc., but mostly it was believable. I loved the Immortals' masks though they were the exception in believability. Pretty violent. But def in the tradition of Homer and so forth. The narration kind of bugged me. But all the other aspects I liked, except a few hokey lines of dialogue.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Tonamel
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Tonamel »

Decent movie, but the soundtrack was hilariously bad. When the heavy metal guitars came in while they were doing the "slo-mo walk into combat," people in the audience actually started laughing.

Still, the action was pretty awesome, and that's what the movie's really about, so I'll still give it a B.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

I enjoyed it too. It's not as faithful as Sin City, but Zack Snyder did a good job of adapting Miller's comic. I thought it was odd that they added to the original story (for example, Leonidas's wife was in, like, 2 panels of the original comic), but I suppose necessary. I actually like that they added the various monsters, if only because it forces reviewers to stop harping on the movie's realism or factual accuracy (seriously, who goes to a comic book movie and then marks it down for being unrealistic? As a quick look at RottenTomatoes shows, apparently a lot of people).

Also:
- 300 grossed more than its entire budget in its opening weekend, which has fastracked Snyder's next project, Alan Moore's Watchmen.
- King Xerxes was played by one of the actors on Lost. Can you guess which one? I couldn't.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Loved it.

I was disappointed with some dialogue points, but overall I was reeeeeally pleased. IMAX was a nice way to see it, too.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

This film is too gay for me.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Watchmen movie is a horrrrrrible idea. Unless they use David Hayter's 300+ page screenplay, which won't happen, it's going to be painful.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

Pretty sweet movie. It was kind of annoying how they had the whole family in the wheat field scene like in Gladiator. But I guess that's where all Greeks go when they're sad.
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

I was a bit disappointed. Particularly due to the fact that about 90% of the movie was in slow motion with garments flowing in the wind, which was tiresome and diminished its effect after a while. And much of the dialogue was shouted and/or in slow motion, with some of it way over the top (I guess this may be intentional). I enjoyed most of the battle sequences though, except for the heavy metal soundtrack elements. The "pellets" of blood were distracting. King Xerxes looked like Dhalsim from Street Fighter and the size difference in his first scene with Leonidas looked really strange. I liked the overcast look of the film, but the whole frame looked vignetted and it felt a little claustrophobic as if it were all on a smallish set similar to that of the Wizard of Oz. This could be intentional as well. For me it did not live up to the massive hype.

B-
"Technology is like living with the eyes of a shark. A shark's eyes have no life in them." - Gary Busey
Calfborg | Jeshimoth
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

WeaselSlayer wrote:Watchmen movie is a horrrrrrible idea. Unless they use David Hayter's 300+ page screenplay, which won't happen, it's going to be painful.
If 300 is any indication of this guy's directorial abilities, it'll be horrible no matter what screenplay is used. It should stay a comic anyway.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
jezebelus
A New Player

Post by jezebelus »

Calfborg wrote:I was a bit disappointed. Particularly due to the fact that about 90% of the movie was in slow motion with garments flowing in the wind, which was tiresome and diminished its effect after a while. And much of the dialogue was shouted and/or in slow motion, with some of it way over the top (I guess this may be intentional). I enjoyed most of the battle sequences though, except for the heavy metal soundtrack elements. The "pellets" of blood were distracting. King Xerxes looked like Dhalsim from Street Fighter and the size difference in his first scene with Leonidas looked really strange. I liked the overcast look of the film, but the whole frame looked vignetted and it felt a little claustrophobic as if it were all on a smallish set similar to that of the Wizard of Oz. This could be intentional as well. For me it did not live up to the massive hype.

B-
I think you are wrong. Slowmotion looks great and techniquily this movie is real masterpiece. Fight scenes are fantastic and soundtrack is GREAT (btw it isn't heavy metal, :roll: it sound more like hardcore).

PS. He, he your right about Dhalsim I was thinking for a long time where I saw similar face, yeah he really looks like Dhalsim.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Just saw this. I liked it, but for a few things:

(spoilers?)

1) Whenever the film tried to be funny, it felt forced and awkward.

2) Every fifteen minutes or so I found myself saying "oh that shot is straight out of [Gladiator/Braveheart/LotR]. And I found it hard to see past that dude who played Faromir (sp?) in LotR.

3) The emphasis in the dialogue on how (or whether) Sparta would be remembered by future generations seemed very gratuitous. I was reminded of a Simpsons episode (like always) when they made that TV movie "Homer S: Portrait of an Ass-Grabber". One of the overcharged lines the victim delivers goes like "If you don't stop I'll scream so loud the WHOLE WORLD will hear". :roll:

Other than that, it was quite enjoyable. A friend of mine has some free passes to a theater that's picking up the movie on its second run, and I may well see it again.
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

jimtyrrell wrote:And I found it hard to see past that dude who played Faromir (sp?) in LotR.
Are you talking about David Wenham? Guy with a beard... gets his eye poked out, "The gods saw fit to bless me with a spare?" guy?

He's an awesome actor, but what was with his accent in this. He sounded more like an English gentlman than a Greek warrior.

I saw this yesterday. I liked it a lot. Didn't quite live up to the hype, but then again, what does? But as a movie, it is quite well done, with an interesting twist on a historical event (yes, yes, i know its Frank Millers twist, but still).

I studied Greek history, and the battle of Thermopoli for almost a year in High School, so it was interesting to watch it from that kind of a perspective.

The guy I went with, he knew nothing about the historical battle, and turned to me at the end and said "I didn't expect them all to die". I just looked at him, and then yelled "This is Sparta!!" at him for ten minutes.

Those Spartans only had one voice volume. Off or shouting, even when the guy they were talking to was standing next to them. I'm surprised they aren't all hoarse.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Saw this again (in Littleton at Jax Jr.) last night.

Yeah, David Wenham. That English accent is what movies use to express ancient times or evil characters. Oh well.

This time was much more fun though, because the lead character kind of looks like Starfinger's old avatar, and one of the Spartans looked a little like Glenn Case, so I spent the movie picturing Songfighters kicking Persian ass. Good job boys. History will not forget you. :)
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

I always thought it was weird that English accent = ancient. The Romans and the Greeks both probably spoke with an accent closer to modern Greek than modern British English, right?
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

I always find it funny when certain characters speak with British accents and others don't. :)
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man

Post by WeaselSlayer »

You know what movie always bothered me accent-wise? Robin Hood with Kevin Costner. What the hell.
Justincombustion
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums. Drums. Drums.
Recording Method: Whatever that stuff in Glenn's basement is.
Submitting as: HalfRacks, Drink/Drank/Drunk, Baby In the Corner, Chuck the Bear

Post by Justincombustion »

WeaselSlayer wrote:You know what movie always bothered me accent-wise? Robin Hood with Kevin Costner. What the hell.

How about Keanu Reeves as the English Gentleman Harker in Dracula? "Verily I say, dude..."
"When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head; you can then head off you opponent with a balanced attack!"
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

I used to live in Sparta, NJ, so all that yelling about Sparta was really distracting. I mean, I know some Spartans and they're not "all that".

-craig
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Keannu royally sucks in Dracula (no pun intended) but that movie is still one of my favorites of all time.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

mkilly wrote:I always thought it was weird that English accent = ancient. The Romans and the Greeks both probably spoke with an accent closer to modern Greek than modern British English, right?
In general ancient = British mainly because epic historical drama = shakespeare.

In this case, though, I think that the main character is Scottish, and he didn't really try too hard to force a non-scottish accent.
himynameisntmark
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass.
Recording Method: GarageBand
Submitting as: Maggie Kanuka

Post by himynameisntmark »

This is delicious!
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

My post count goes up too.