No Country For Old Men

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Re: No Country For Old Men

Post by jack »

Also, if you look at some of the Coen Brothers movies (most notably Fargo i think, but also Blood Simple), they have a similar feel to how they play out. In Fargo, the 2 bumbling kidnappers are like the home alone crooks, they are so inept you kind of like them, Then you see one of them stuffing the other into a woodchopper and it deflates all the emotion you vested in these guys. Same with the William Macy character, he's an idiot but you feel sorry for him but you don't feel sorry for him as the state police later drag him out of some seedbag motel in his underwear.

I guess my point is generally the Coen Brothers don't make happy movies (ok, Oh Brother is kind of feel good but that has some terrible racial moments). Even their comedies are dark. And McCarthy doesn't write happy books. So there's no way this is going to end well or happy or with the "good" ending.

That said, the acting in this is incredible on almost every level. Especially, Bardem. He is the anti Dirty Harry.
Hi!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: No Country For Old Men

Post by Caravan Ray »

jute gyte wrote:
Paco Del Stinko wrote:Has anyone read the book? I typically don't like to read a book that's been made into a movie if I see the movie first, but I'm curious as to how faithful they are to each other. I did read Cormac McCarthy's The Road last year, and it was fantastic.

Think I'll give the movie another play though, especially after thinking about it again and Hoblit's excellent ending summary.
The film is basically faithful to the book, though it leaves out some interesting and poignant subplots. The novel is also sometimes more clear on plot points that the movie leaves ambiguous. Both are really fine work.
Currently reading the book. Great stuff. Will check out the movie when I am finished.