Harry Potter: The Half-Blood Prince

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Harry Potter: The Half-Blood Prince

Post by Märk »

I hate to say it, but there was just TOO MUCH CUT from the book. They should have made this another half hour longer, maybe. As it is, it's confusing and feels cheap/copout. Daniel Radcliffe is a terrible, wooden actor. Emma Watson's crying scene was laughable, but otherwise she's very good. Rupert Grint was great, especially the expression on his face when he gets love potioned.

This was one of the best books in the series, IMO, and they seriously dropped the ball on the film. SO MUCH CUT FROM THE BOOK. I have mixed feelings about Deathly Hallows being split into two films, on one hand... come on. It's a money grab. On the other hand, these books are so dense and filled with subplots that you almost have to split them into digestible chunks to make movies of them. Perhaps HBP should have been split into two parts, too?
* this is not a disclaimer
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Harry Potter: The Half-Blood Prince

Post by Caravan Ray »

I hope to see this next week.

How does it compare to the last movie? I thought that was really bloody good. The Order of the Phoenix was the worst book of the series, but the director did a great job of making a good movie out of a messy book. This is the same director - but with a much better book to work with. The beauty of the OOP movie was what he left out (it was a way too big book). Are you saying he left too much out this time?

And I agree that Daniel Radcliff is a terrible wooden actor - but he suits Harry. I tend think Harry is a bit of a knob-end of a character. If he was one of my school mates - I think I would have given him a good boot up the date.
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Well, all I can suggest is that you don't read the book again after watching the film. It will piss you off. Not only did they cut HUGE sections out (which I think were integral to the story), they CHANGED the actual story somewhat.

All in all, the movie was enjoyable, but I had the same feeling as I did when I watched Star Wars Ep. 1. It had the potential to be an epic film, but I think it was just mediocre. I hope Deathly Hallows makes things right again.
* this is not a disclaimer
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Saw the movie last week.

Yeah - not as good as HPaTOotP. But not bad.

It was a big book. Can't put every bit of it in the movie - if you want the whole story, read the bloody book. The visuals were great
Märk wrote:Daniel Radcliffe is a terrible, wooden actor. Emma Watson's crying scene was laughable, but otherwise she's very good. Rupert Grint was great, especially the expression on his face when he gets love potioned.?
Thought the exact oppposite actually. I thought all of the actors did pretty well, but Rupert Grint's mugging was slightly annoying - almost as bad as he was in the Chamber of Secrets movie (easily the worst of the lot), Snape was very good as usual, and I like Helena Bonham-Carter. Also, the girly playing Luna is very funny. Though why did they even bother casting Tonks? That is a nothing character