Big Hero 6

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Big Hero 6

Post by fluffy »

I saw this today, knowing very little about it except that it involved a boy and a Michelin Man-esque robot.

It was a lot of fun. It did the usual Disney plot clichés and so on but some of the means by which they happened were pretty clever, and while I saw the obligatory plot twist coming I was still surprised by the reveal. It also had a very good treatment of mental health issues surrounding loss and grief, much moreso than I'd have expected from a kids' movie.

Also, the city it takes place in was a very detailed recreation of San Francisco fused with aspects of Tokyo. The geography was pure San Francisco, though, and I'm pretty sure that the protagonist's home is right around the corner from my sister's place. I would have not been surprised at all if the street signs had been visible and said Stanyan and Parnassus. It was also fun how they did things like replacing the real-life buses with very anachronistic rail cars, and in particular the one scene on one was on the #14 Mission, and it went through an area that I went through all the time since that was my bus to work many days.

I saw it in 3D and while it didn't add much to the visuals (aside from helping with the sense of scale and height during the flying scenes) it also didn't give me a headache. Nice to see movies finally figuring out how to do 3D without it being "eye-popping."
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Re: Big Hero 6

Post by Niveous »

It was a very good flick.

Did you stick around for the after credits scene?
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Yep, that was a lot of fun too.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Do you know this is only just opening in the UK? I thought we were beyond this whole 80s idea that the rest of the world doesn't matter .... [/frustrated but already seen it *elsewhere*]
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Yeah. I just saw this with my daughter. Had no idea what it was about beforehand. It was great.

Liked how, as with 'frozen' - it was a departure from the normal Disney boy/girl love story - but more a sibling love story