Frank

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Frank

Post by Lunkhead »

A wannabe musician gets a break to be in an avant-garde indie band with a crazy genius who always wears a big fake head. The setup seemed very promising and I'd heard a lot of great reviews. We just watched this tonight and I was frankly (no punt intended) a bit underwhelmed. It was good but not great. I think my expectations were too high. B

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1605717/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Re: Frank

Post by Niveous »

I'll agree with that B. It gets a little threadbarren at the end but I thoroughly enjoyed the recording of the album. If a bunch of songfighters wanna drop off the map for a while and record an album full of madness like in Frank, I'm in.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I disagree with you guys. I loved this movie, though I don't feel like typing up all the reasons right now. But just so you know: A+ from me!
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Aye I'm with JB, a brilliant film. The only thing that would have been better is a Frank Sidebottom documentary (which I am contributing to the crowd-sourcing of). A.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I felt like for me the pacing was a bit off. The recording session started off really great and enjoyable. Then the fact that it went on so long, both within the story timeline and as part of the film, felt to me like it was in between the amount of time that would have been short enough to not be noticeable or long enough to be weird and funny or novel. I guess I also felt like Frank and Jon's decline after the SXSW debacle was a bit more grim than I was expecting, from the tone set in the film so far. It felt a bit jarring to me. Then the resolution felt a bit ho-hum. Everybody went back to where they were before, it seemed like, though I guess maybe Jon learned that he sucked and was an asshole. Also I was for some reason a bit let down that they showed Frank w/o the mask. I think again a lot of it was just my preconceived notions from reviews I'd read. I might have liked it more if I'd seen it sooner after it came out.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I thought this thread was about the upcoming Frankie Big Face Movie. James Cameron has approached me to play the lead.