coverfight

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Re: coverfight

Post by iVeg »

How about April 1 - April Fools? That seems like a great day to end this coverfight.
facebook.com/ivegband
SchlimminyCricket
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: synths and guits
Submitting as: Schlimminy Cricket

Post by SchlimminyCricket »

April 4th would be great for me.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Oh man, I am far behind. I guess I burned out a lot on FAWM. Gotta get to work.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Well, at least I finally got mine done today. And I'm pretty happy with it!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Less than one week remaining! and I've only received entries from exactly 50% of the entrants! Don't be a stiffer!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

REMINDER: THIS IS DUE TOMORROW

JUST FOR THE 40% OF YOU WHO HAVE NOT YET SUBMITTED
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Going to be late, I'll warn you now...
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Tiny Robots are going to be late too.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Octothorpe will try to make it worth the wait.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Okay, we've heard from the three late folks so I've gone ahead and posted the entries on a really cruddy basic page.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Yeah! That was so cool...
facebook.com/ivegband
SchlimminyCricket
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: synths and guits
Submitting as: Schlimminy Cricket

Post by SchlimminyCricket »

Paco, your cover of Under Over is the version of that song I had in my head back in 2011, but didn't have the skills to execute. Except that your backing vocals are better than my head version. Love it.

Also, Jerkatorium's cover of Control Yourself is legitimately great and I can't stop listening to it.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Hi All,

Sorry we are running late on this. Hard to coordinate everyone's schedules.

King Arthur - You are the king and you gave this excellent song the KA treatment. Sounds great! Thank you!

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Hey, fluffy, thank you for the cover - I'll admit it took me a few listens to get used to the instrumentation, but it's growing on me. And thank you for running the coverfight.
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

You have a lot of songs. I was expecting to have to listen to your entire catalog to find something that I could contort myself in order to work with. "A Problem of Perspective" came up first and I thought, "Hm, that's perfect for my style!" Then I listened to the other 109 entries anyway and still ended up going with that first one.

(My second choice was "Gone Phishing.")

Anyway, it was fun. Both doing the cover and running the coverfight. :)
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Would be interesting to hear what you'd do with "Red Skates" but I appreciate the song you did. Thanks!
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I really liked Fluffy's cover - I think it captured the heart of the song while taking it somewhere different (man). I also like Jerkatorium's 'assault' on Hereustics Inc - took me a while to warm to it (only because of the liberties it takes with the melody, I think) but it bears repeated listens, for sure! All were good, mind.

Oh and just to say if people think I was mocking Jerkatorium by adding a verse about circle jerking in kevlar armour, well I was; but only in an admiring, appreciative, playful way. Actually, I had written those new words as part of a lyric for the fight but had not managed to do anything with them at the time. so it seemed too good an opportunity not to infect their talent with my weirdness :)

j$
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

king_arthur wrote:Would be interesting to hear what you'd do with "Red Skates" but I appreciate the song you did. Thanks!
That one was my third choice. :)

(and #4 was Lavender Splendor)
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots

Post by Jerkatorium »

j$ wrote: Oh and just to say if people think I was mocking Jerkatorium by adding a verse about circle jerking in kevlar armour, well I was; but only in an admiring, appreciative, playful way. Actually, I had written those new words as part of a lyric for the fight but had not managed to do anything with them at the time. so it seemed too good an opportunity not to infect their talent with my weirdness :)
Thank you for the cover of Watching the Riot. I think your added verse is the best aspect of the cover regardless of intent. In general, in any cover I want to hear what the covering band has done to transform the song. Why listen to a faithful, accurate rendition when you could just listen to the original? I love The Dickies cover of "Eve of Destruction", Devo's "R U Experienced", Splitsville's "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" and oh so many more, specifically due to the wild spin the bands put on those songs.

Adding a new verse is a surprising and impressive way of putting your mark on this song. Other than that, the cover has an interesting tone and cool stereo effects. And anyone putting accordion in a song (even if it's a sample or software instrument) will always get points from me. I like your singing and I was glad to hear what you did with the song.

Having said that, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed with your choice of Watching the Riot; you picked our only song that had just four chords and just one verse, and as such is probably our least interesting composition (imo).

For this OFCF my favorite cover is Sockpuppet's cover of "A Problem of Perspective". After hearing Sockpuppet's version a couple of times I went back and listened to the original. Man, that's good songwriting. And I really like the Sockpuppet spin on it, the beats and the video game synth settings, the strong bass and the earnest singing.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Jerkatorium wrote:Having said that, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed with your choice of Watching the Riot; you picked our only song that had just four chords and just one verse, and as such is probably our least interesting composition (imo)
When I was listening to your archive, that was my first impression about the song. But there' was something about it that kept it floating around my brain, if only if it was so different from any of your other entries. I came to really enjoy it and think there was a realy good tune and mood in it that *maybe* the approach you had taken didn't do the full justice to. So that's why I picked it, to see in my own cack-handed way if I could 'release' the great song I heard. The four chords structure leant itself to the 'dub lite' arrangement I wanted to do, as well. FTR, I originally planned to add another verse at the beginning, a capella but decided the song as I had done it couldn't really stand any more length (oo-er).

I'm glad you (kinda) liked it!

j$
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I was going to wait until all the entries were in before reviewing the coverfight as a whole, but I guess it would be gauche of me to not go ahead and talk about iVeg's cover of my Tw3rp. :)

I like the instrumentation on it, and the nod to the original symphonic buildup. Did you record those cellos yourself or were they stock samples or what? (In the original they were stock.) Not a fan of some of the vocal delivery, though, like "to achieve immortality" - everything's all bunched up weirdly. Which, incidentally, is how I recorded it on my first few takes before I figured out a better rhythm for it, so it's a totally understandable thing to do. Also I'm listening to the SF recording of it and holy crap was it rough (the album version is somewhat better although still not great).

Also, I feel like I should mention that it's only coincidence that iVeg's cover of my thing ended up first on the site, and my cover of King Arthur ended up last - the assignments were done by an unbiased random number generator, and the site is presented in alphabetical order with all the stiffers at the end. :)
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Jerkatorium wrote:For this OFCF my favorite cover is Sockpuppet's cover of "A Problem of Perspective". After hearing Sockpuppet's version a couple of times I went back and listened to the original. Man, that's good songwriting.
Thank you!