RockOperathon?

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

RockOperathon?

Post by BenKrieger »

I'm trying gauge who would be interested in a Sidefight in which players have a certain amount of time to write and record a mini rock opera. I imagine something where a list of titles are posted, so that the players can pick an option that's most inspiring for them, and then everyone has a certain amount of time to write and record. I'd say a week, but I know that *I* can barely pull that off any more, so perhaps two weeks? When, in general, is a good time to hold a contest like that? When do vacation/spare time planets tend to align? The holidays?

Titles that work for rock operas tend to have a certain broadness to them. I've written (completed and uncompleted) operas for Cable Beach, Robot Candidate, Grey Rainbow, Back to the Well (and Anomaly looked great, but I never wrote anything).

Any thoughts on this? Would anyone do it?
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Re: RockOperathon?

Post by noma »

This would be very interesting to me. I did some multi-part songs in the past and I have always wanted to do a concept album, but never managed to finish anything. There is that song tetralogy I did once, though - the Celina Flanaghan Tetralogy for Suitcase, The Lurker, L'Occitane, and Take It Back (the latter of which consists of 4 parts itself).
Some time in the summer would work fine for me. If we do it, you can count me in.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I would do this but only because it would be hilarious to hear me fail (and possibly come up with something intriguing in the failure). I actually began writing a rock opera called '''Weaseltown''' a year or two ago (hey it even had a map!) but lost interest after completing the words.

j$
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I'd try to do it given a reasonable deadline and an existing plot or something. Given how well "sndtrk" went I'm skeptical as to whether we can actually get it done though. ;)
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jerkatorium »

Jerkatorium would probably be very interested in this if, as fluffy suggested, a reasonable deadline were imposed - unfortunately Chumpy and I are both employed, so we'd need a few free weekends to complete any adequate number of songs. I would also vote for a widely interpretable title/subject to work with; I think a half dozen rock operas about, say, a Robot Candidate, The Phyllis Wheatley Club, or 9/11 Was An Inside Job might get tiresome to listen to regardless of quality.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton