Official TOTAL REQUEST COVERFIGHT sign-up Thread

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

voting is broken, but the songs are up. might as well use ken's page until i get the voting fixed. in the meantime, here's mine:

http://johnorama.com/songs/jb_does_cr_ikmr.mp3

jb
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Thank you so very much Bill at HeuristicsInc. for an excellent job - I love it! A proper transformation from comic goofiness to terrifying delight. I am genuinely thrilled!

Also, thanks to Ken for putting this together and to all who put up links and streams - this is a blast. Good work everybody!
jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders

Post by jeff robertson »

starfinger wrote:flvxxvm florvm! this sounds like the flesh eaters. i love it
Thank you! At first I wasn't sure what to do with it, since so much of it is rap and I'm not a rapper.
jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders

Post by jeff robertson »

Paco you bastard, you actually learned my solos and played them better than I did!
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

jeff robertson wrote:At first I wasn't sure what to do with it, since so much of it is rap and I'm not a rapper.
I think that's why these coverfights are so cool. The one I covered was basically a G&G song, and I can't really play the G... it forces bizarre reinterpretations.

Anyway, thanks again!

Oh yeah.. I haven't listened to many others yet, but Caravan Ray's Fight the Sea is really amazing!

-craig
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:Thank you so very much Bill at HeuristicsInc. for an excellent job - I love it! A proper transformation from comic goofiness to terrifying delight. I am genuinely thrilled!
Heh, awesome, you're welcome. I decided really early on when I thought about your song that I thought I wanted to do it goth-style. I am still not sure if it was the right decision, but it sounds the way I wanted it to! Glad you like it. I like the contrast between Devo-style and goth-style.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

jimtyrrell wrote:Dan-O: Thank you. This is a wholly unexpected interpretation of my song, and I like it a lot. Thanks again!!
Hey Jim, I'm glad you liked it. There's actually more I would have liked to have done to it. The drum machine was borrowed and I don't really know how to program it yet, so I just went with the same beat all the way through and some cymbal hits. I decided pretty early on that whatever song I got I was probably just going to blow up and make a new song out of it. I was messing with that drum machine and hit on that beat and thought "here it is". The horns and keys are courtesy of a couple of guys from my gigging band and were composed by the musical genious of said band. (Obviously I'm not referring to myself) I was very pleased with the arrangement he came up with. Glad you liked it.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

ken wrote:Okay, I made a very plain page for all the songs. Hopefully, JB will get the actual Coverfight page up for voting and further songs.

http://kni.songhole.org/coverfight/coverfight.html
bore @ work, so i though i add some color to this.
http://fvs.blaststream.com/testapp/shar ... fight.html

feel free to use this HTML (ken/JB)... just copy & paste.

mine should be in next week.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

too. damn. gay.
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Tokyoquake.... terrific stuff. I know I like something when it makes me smile uncontrollably. I am impressed that you managed to keep the feel of the original, while still making your own mark on it.

Thanking you muchly.
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

j$ wrote:too. damn. gay.
i. completely. agree.

http://fvs.blaststream.com/testapp/shar ... fight.html

Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Hey Dan-O, glad you like it. I kept imagining your version being done by the Velvet Underground ala "Pale Blue Eyes", so that's kinda what I went for. That bit at the end, with the typing--That's supposed to represent a teenage girl blogging, because I also imagine the entire song to be a fantasy-dream-sequence. The hard-to-hear lyrics are "P.S.: I'm over you-know-who, that makes my whole life better, tee hee!" (a reference to Egg's "Tigerlily").

Feldspar: It's good to hear my song coming from a better performer. You took my lazy ass and whippersnappered it all up! Thanks for the early xmas.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

I think my favourite here so far is between Jolly Roger doing 15-16 puzzle, that is exactly the kind of cover I love, a cool song punked up in a caP'n Jazz stylee - taught and melodic, nice one - and then there's Plat doing Rabid, absolutely brilliant and totally gay. DRAGON DRAGON DRAGON AAaaaAHAHAH
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

So any news on the people who didn't come through? Do we just get left out in the cold?
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm still going to do mine, but it won't be till after Thanksgiving. Sorry, to my mystery coveree, I am a loser. :(
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Furrypedro wrote:I think my favourite here so far is between Jolly Roger doing 15-16 puzzle
Thanks! It's nice to know someone liked it. Not sure if 15-16 puzzle has even listened yet.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

Jim of Seattle wrote:So any news on the people who didn't come through? Do we just get left out in the cold?
Jim, I didn't post my list either, maybe for the same reasons you did. Anyway, if you PM me your request that you had for me I'll have a listen and give it a go.
JB
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Lunkhead wrote:I'm still going to do mine, but it won't be till after Thanksgiving. Sorry, to my mystery coveree, I am a loser. :(
Same goes for me. Working on about 2 hours sleep a day here for the past few weeks. Yeah!
Songfighter since back in the day.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote:So any news on the people who didn't come through? Do we just get left out in the cold?
Jim, I didn't post my list either, maybe for the same reasons you did. Anyway, if you PM me your request that you had for me I'll have a listen and give it a go.
OK, I just posted my list. Go for it!
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

Alright this is going to be an uphill battle for me. For starters, I'm not the biggest fan of Christmas (the overly commercialized version, not the birth of Jesus Christ thing), and thus, I hate Christmas songs. Although this song is kind of funny so maybe I can get past it.

But then there's the misspelling of words which I have a really hard time with as well. First off it's Kris Kringle, not Chris Cringle but maybe that's a joke. And then there's the "E is for Everything" in the spot where the "A" should be, but maybe that's a joke too and I just need to quit finding reasons not to work on this.

Let me listen to this a few more times and see what inspiration comes along. I will say upfront that if your missing song shows up before I get started / finished with this request, I'll probably end up bailing on this. I just wanted to make sure your stocking wasn't empty, not fill everyone's requests.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this is a pretty busy time of year for me. I have all those lumps of coal to buy, about a bazillion "Bah Humbugs" to hand out and I'm way behind on things after mocking all those people who slept in tents waiting on the PS3's release last week.

But I'll see what I can do.
JB
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Our coveree will not be left out in the cold. If that is you, Jim, and I am not saying that it is, hang in there.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I started mine yesterday! ... Now I have to leave town for a week. Doh!