Rolf is a Nazi: A SongFight Tribute

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

BJAM- neat midi accompaniment. I like the orchestration, though as a guitarist I have to say that I'd have preferred the guitar. Plus good vocals, though watch your clipping.

Thanks much to all the reviewers so far!!

Yeah I would have prefered the guitar all the way through too. However after rehearsing in Em for a week, on the last day we realized Bjam was struggling to hit the highs, so had to drop everything down 3 to make it work. Transposing Midi was easy but capoing down and switching to Am chord sets just killed my fingers. There is an even longer 'sad' story there about why my fingers were burned with superglue to make matters worse :-)

I really liked every single contribution in this fight and can't wait for us to do some more.

stueym - dad of Bjam
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

:D

yep, good stuff all around. still waiting on Frankie and Glenn but I am certain they will not let us down. I too vote for Erik.
Last edited by mkilly on Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

The White Hat wrote:# - I never thought that 90s synth modules could sound so good.
Instruments in order of appearance:

casio digi-horn dh-100 (early 1980's)
rogue fretless bass (current)
casio ps-20 digital piano (current)*
sabian ride cymbal played with mallets (real)*
nord lead synth (1995 - there it is!)
yamaha dd-55 drum machine (current)
repeat and stir

oh, and on vox, my wife, amy, followed at a distance by mad dog on shatneresque translations.

*After the incident, I still have these.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Edge of LA
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Edge of LA »

So I burned a cd of these songs, and like most cds today, the best track is #2... Maria!
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

no harsh reviews. these are all really terrific. every one. props to all you guys!

octothorpe
terrific start. very clean and well recorded. amy's vox are really good. mad dog's are well...like shatner doing UN translation.

15-16 puzzle
excellent. it's obvious alot of work went into this. great guitar. great bell.

BJAM
it's pretty MIDI. i agree with the lisp comment and laughed when i read it, as i was wondering the same thing. but singing is good. mix is almost too perfectly good.

JoS
absolutely love the jazz swing parts. and that wurlitzer patch is killer too. usually you are so precise with arrangements so it's nice to see you loosen up on this.

high density
YODELING RULEZ!!

Ken and Friends
loved it. nice change up from the original and excellent recording.

white hat
very pretty guitar playing and singing works well for the tune.

johnny cashpoint
very clean recording and great vocal work. i dig the change up in time and distorted vox part. i love this.
Hi!
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

I love the # vocals: what it reminds me of is this live version of Negativland doing I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For: They're playing chopped-up bits of the U2 song in the background while David Wills half recites the lyrics and half tells random stories about his cats puking on the carpet and such- all in exactly the same tone of voice. Perhaps nostalgia is getting the better of me but this still brought a happy tear to my eye.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

Sorry so late on this. I still ended up recording it in a single day (today)

http://glenncase.songhole.org/content/s ... idence.mp3

I feel like I could probably have done better, but I was feeling guilty for it taking as long as it already had. I really do think it is the first songfight related deadline I have missed.

I purposely didn't listen to any of the other entries yet, thinking that it could affect how I decided to do my cover. I can listen to them now.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Sweet, Glenn! I like. Slightly flangey around the peaks, but I love your voice on this and when the bass kicks in I am shuffling around my seat! In a way this is kind of how I imagine 15-16 Puzzle sounds (he doesn't, but it's kind of how I imagine he would if I was him and I had an ounce of either his or your talent ... that doesn't make sense, does it? Ah well)

Bring it on, FBF! Can I say what a fricking good album this has turned out to be? I rather feel people should be screaming about it from the rooftops. It chagrins me to see it slipping down the SF&H threads, so *bump* now listen to it, ya bastids! (you can skip the last song if you like ...)

j$
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Hi Everyone,

I just sent a note to Marcus, but figured I'd post something here as well. I'm sorry I haven't completed this song, but my window of opportunity to do it before I started getting really busy with an actual musical closed and now I have to wait until said musical is over (this Saturday). So, I haven't forgotten and I will get it done, but not until next week at the earliest. Sorry.

FBF
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

You'd damn well better! I've been looking forward to the Frankie entry.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

bump.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Tyler Zahnke
bono
bono
Instruments: keyboard and vocals
Recording Method: Audacity and the internal mic on my laptop
Submitting as: Tyler Zahnke

Re: Rolf is a Nazi: A SongFight Tribute

Post by Tyler Zahnke »

Almost a decade passes, and still no sign of Frankie. Frankie vanishes into the mist for all eternity. He may rise from the mist every one hundred years ... oops, wrong musical! That's Brigadoon, not Sound of Music!
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Props to Tyler for calling out Frankie, 8 years later!

I wish I had that amount of time to peruse the forum archives...
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

OK. 10 years after the event - I now have an entry.

A lady friend of mine suggested I write an "adult" version of "My Favourite Things". So I did. Here it is. I think it is pretty good. So did she:

https://soundcloud.com/caravanray/my-favourite-things
Tyler Zahnke
bono
bono

Post by Tyler Zahnke »

Whoa, this is hilarious! Extremely shocking (but I was expecting it because of what you said about it), but hilarious! It reminds me of Parody Princess, the female version of Weird Al, writing "My Favorite Sadistic/Masochist Things," found here:
http://parodyprincess.com/mp3/My_Favori ... Things.mp3
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Tyler Zahnke wrote:Whoa, this is hilarious! Extremely shocking (but I was expecting it because of what you said about it), but hilarious! It reminds me of Parody Princess, the female version of Weird Al, writing "My Favorite Sadistic/Masochist Things," found here:
http://parodyprincess.com/mp3/My_Favori ... Things.mp3
Heh!! Very close to mine. Seems not really an original idea. She was a bit looser with the rhymes. Mine tried to strictly copy the original. And I think I put a bit more effort into the vocal delivery.

Thanks for posting that.
Tyler Zahnke
bono
bono

Post by Tyler Zahnke »

Well, ten years since this fight! And it's amazing to know that it all came from someone's idea on the old Wishlist thread! Still the best Song Fight-related material in the history of our fine community!