Somesongs (what can be done?)

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Somesongs (what can be done?)

Post by Lunkhead »

I added support for signing up/in with Twitter and Facebook:

http://somesongs.org/
http://rate.jonathanmann.net/

SomeSongs seems to be a lost cause at this point, sadly, but I'm trying to at least put the code to use for Jonathan Mann.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

If you rejigger the UI to be 520px wide, we can iframe it into a tab on the Song Fight Facebook page.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Lunkhead wrote:SomeSongs seems to be a lost cause at this point, sadly, but I'm trying to at least put the code to use for Jonathan Mann.
I will begin recording again at some point, and will spam the somesongs interface. Besides, isn't it the perfect form for GOM and other cover fights? Can it be effectively provisioned for single events like that (built in voting and reviews)? SomeSongs as a service (SaaS)!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I don't think we'd really need to spin off dedicated instances of the site for every side fight like that. People could post the links to their songs there for those things, then somebody could make a playlist with all the songs for a particular side fight. Or maybe folks could set the same album name for all the songs so that they could all be found by searching by album. (I added the option to give an album name for a song, and to search for songs by album name.)

EDIT: And for free file hosting, people could sign up with Bandcamp and upload their songs there.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

As I may have mentioned, I have a version of SomeSongs set up that just has Jonathan Mann's song-a-day songs (http://rate.jonathanmann.net/). I was curious about who had rated and commented on the most songs, so I added lists of the top 10 users with the most ratings and comments to the statistics page. I also rolled that out for somesongs.org and it may be slightly interesting for those of you old timers who used that site a lot back in the day.

http://somesongs.org/statistics

This only counts songs that are visible, so it's not the absolute total numbers of ratings and comments.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I've rolled out some more features for http://rate.jonathanmann.net/ and made them available now also on http://somesongs.org/ too. If you hook it up to your Facebook account you can opt in to have it post to your Timeline when you rate a song. Whoo! (?)
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

I tried logging in with my facebook account. It then told me my account (xtravar) already exists. Help!
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Strange. I see half the data I expect to see. I deleted that, you could try again if you feel like volunteering to be a tester for me. I would appreciate the help, I'm pretty short on time for side projects these days, and I've been worse than usual about testing what few changes I do have time to make.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Tried again. Clicked "login with facebook". "D'oh an error occurred. Please use back button." Hit refresh. "Username already taken"
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Good times... oy... The best part is I don't see an error in my logs. F. Well, if you are super bored and are feeling very generous about donating your free time to my shitty Web site, you could try again and view source on the "D'oh an error occurred" page and email the me the stack trace. I won't be able to do anything about it till after work. I can't really work on personal projects while at my current job, too busy (which is actually a good thing, yay!).
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Roger, Roll posted a great song to somesongs.com the other day, and it could use some more ratings and reviews:

http://somesongs.org/songs/picture-perfect-5062
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

So, I'm still plugging away at SomeSongs here and there. I just rolled out support for importing tracks from SoundCloud. Also the Twitter library I was using was using a Twitter API that got shut off the other day, so I upgraded to a newer version of the library that uses the current Twitter API. I also tweaked the way the mp3 and song links work. Self-hosted, Bandcamp hosted, and SoundCloud hosted songs should all behave morevery similarly now and you should be able to play a list of songs that can be from a mix of all three sources in a better way now. If you're curious, log in (you can use your Twitter or Facebook account if you want to sign right in without signing up) and go to "My Info" or "Post Song" to connect your SoundCloud account, then "Post Song" and click the SoundCloud icon to get a list of your SoundCloud tracks to import. Hm, I should probably add logging in via SoundCloud too, since that should be pretty trivially easy... EDIT, not so easy after all, oh well.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I tried logging in with Twitter, at which point I couldn't log in. I ended up having to reset my somesongs password since I couldn't remember what the heck it was. After doing such I tried connecting my Twitter account, and got this error:
The Twitter account you tried to use is already connected to another account.

You do not have a Twitter account connected to your account.
I'm guessing that my Twitter account (fluffy) somehow got connected to a nonexistent user, or something.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Here is what I imagine probably happened a while back, shortly after I introduced the "Log In With Twitter" feature:

1) you were not logged in to SomeSongs AND your Twitter account was not linked to a SomeSongs account
2) you logged in to SomeSongs using your Twitter account
3) this created a new SomeSongs account and linked it to your Twitter account

At this point your Twitter account is now linked to the new SomeSongs account and as you've noticed can't be linked to another SomeSongs account (e.g. your old/original one).

It's not ideal, but, if multiple SS accounts were linked to the same Twitter account, how would SS know which SS account to sign in when you signed in with Twitter...? I would have to come up with some kind of account chooser UI to present in this case. That just seemed a) confusing and b) like extra work I didn't have time to do. ;)

Anyway, ideally you could log in with your new Twitter-linked SomeSongs account and unlink your Twitter account from it, freeing it up to be linked to your old/original SomeSongs account. I'm not sure why you weren't able to log in with it, though. I'll have to check the logs later when I get home.
I'm guessing that my Twitter account (fluffy) somehow got connected to a nonexistent user, or something.
That could be. It could be I manually deleted the user record for you but forgot to delete the row that linked that user record to your Twitter account. I will check that later too.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

In other updates, the SomeSongs clone I made for Jonathan Mann has been defunct for a while, sadly. Subsequently I've had little to no impetus to work on the SomeSongs code. SomeSongs itself remains pretty much dead, traffic-wise. I'm not going to go so far as to pull the plug on it, but I doubt I will devote much more development time to it. I'd rather work on things people might actually use, like an Android SF Jukebox app or a new version of Song Fight! :P
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Lunkhead wrote:1) you were not logged in to SomeSongs AND your Twitter account was not linked to a SomeSongs account
2) you logged in to SomeSongs using your Twitter account
3) this created a new SomeSongs account and linked it to your Twitter account

[...]

Anyway, ideally you could log in with your new Twitter-linked SomeSongs account and unlink your Twitter account from it, freeing it up to be linked to your old/original SomeSongs account. I'm not sure why you weren't able to log in with it, though. I'll have to check the logs later when I get home.
... maybe because I didn't do the thing you said I did?
It's not ideal, but, if multiple SS accounts were linked to the same Twitter account, how would SS know which SS account to sign in when you signed in with Twitter...? I would have to come up with some kind of account chooser UI to present in this case. That just seemed a) confusing and b) like extra work I didn't have time to do. ;)
I can't help but feel like you're underestimating my understanding of programming on purpose.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Feel free to write the code yourself. The source is in a Git repo on BitBucket that I could either share with you or make public in a jiffy.

Anyway, the database says your Twitter account was added "2012-05-22 23:09:33" and was associated with a SomeSongs account with a username of "magenta". There is no account with that username however. So, that explains why you can't sign in via Twitter.

I updated the data to link your Twitter account to your "fluffy" SomeSongs account. You should now be able to log in to your "fluffy" SomeSongs account using Twitter. Hooray!

EDIT: Crabbiness removed...
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Lunkhead wrote:Feel free to write the code yourself. The source is in a Git repo on BitBucket that I could either share with you or make public in a jiffy.
What I meant was I wasn't suggesting that there should be some magic way of associating a single Twitter account with multiple SomeSongs accounts. Just that somehow my Twitter account had been associated with a nonexistent account and I wanted that to not be the case.
Anyway, the database says your Twitter account was added "2012-05-22 23:09:33" and was associated with a SomeSongs account with a username of "magenta". There is no account with that username however. So, that explains why you can't sign in via Twitter.
Ah, okay, yeah, the old 'magenta' account was ooooooooooold. I don't remember associating my Twitter account with it, though, or explicitly deleting the 'magenta' account either. Weird.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

For the zero people who care, I've made the somesongs.org source code public:

https://bitbucket.org/sdouglassdev/somesongs

It's written in Java and expects to connect to a MySQL database.
tuuur
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: bass, guitar, keys, drums
Recording Method: Mac, Garageband, Behringer 2ch line mixer
Submitting as: tuuur

Post by tuuur »

Looked somesongs for the first time in 4 years. Didn't write one single song in the meantime... :|
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Hi tuuur! Good to see you again. Maybe Song Fight can inspire you...? We also recently started doing a thing where we use the Song Fight Jukebox to load random songs from the archive to cover. It seemed like a fun way to unearth interesting stuff from the archive and give folks another point of possible inspiration.

http://www.songfight.net/forums/viewtop ... =14&t=9830

Actually, now that I think about it, I should offer people a bonus for posting their cover on SomeSongs...