Talking Heads Coverfight 2013? (after Original Flava fight)

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Re: Talking Heads Coverfight 2013? (after Original Flava fig

Post by glennny »

Agreed!
When asked what is my favorite song of all time, I usually reply "Once in a Lifetime". Remain in Light is always on my list for favorite album of all time too. I love this group of songs! These covers are fantastic!

Pete, you blew my mind capturing the magic of the original recording, just awesome performance and delivery! Your version kicks my versions arse!

C-Ray- I grew a gigantic smile when I saw what song you chose. Just perfect! The recording did not disappoint. It's probably my favorite of the lot, I didn't expect anyone to do it, it's off remain in light, and it's done really well!

Sam- I'm afraid to ask how you make recordings sound so sublime. I fear it will be expensive. Joking aside, what a great recording! Excellent performance! I love it!

DJ & J$- this is another great choice that really suits the two of you! This is delightful! Love the song, and love your version of it!

Schimmeny- nicely done! Beautiful treatment of a very pretty song!

Psycho Killer- this cracked me up. It really had to be done this way. Thank you!

I hope more come in, but what we got is awesome! Good job guys and gals!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Caravan Ray wrote:Still working on a Psycho Killer with contributions from Ken, J$ and Andy Balham.

Happy to accept more tracks. Guitars and vox would be good
Oh, forgot to reexport the guitar tracks. I'll do that today and get them to you for sure!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Great job on the covers, folks. Hard to pick favorites because I like the lot of them, but I think CR's and the two "Once In A Lifetime"s are standouts for me. I really enjoyed them all. Next time let's do a Velvet Underground cover fight, or maybe Bowie, or maybe The Clash... :)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Good covers all round, and I will do individual reviews within the week when I have more time, but I must say I think a lot of the interpretations lack the theatricality that for me nails what makes TH so wonderful. In my head it was always an art project that happened to write brilliantly odd (or oddly brilliant) songs, almost as a bi-product.. So while I have my favourites, and I know where I would put my vote based on contributions so far, and my reaction has to factor in the impact the band had in the UK compared to the US and elsewhere (*yawn*), I was somewhat surprised how reverential we have all been.

Oh yeah, and I've always found 'Remain in Light' (with the exception of 'OiaL'), massively boring ;)

Just a drunken observation. To those individual reviews, soon!

j$

[EDIT: Sorry - that sounds more mealy-mouthed than I intended. Thought about deleting it but hey ...]
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Thought I better get these out asap rather than leave hanging a post that makes me sound like the bitter old queen I am but don't want to be ;)

W.A.I.L. I.A.A.C.

Lunkhead – Love that squidgy synth. It’s almost cheeky. It’s a fairly faithful cover (not that there’s anything wrong with that). You pretty much nail the groove of the original. I would frug haplessly in a nightclub if this came on. Which is a compliment. Good cover, sir! That beautiful clean guitar tone is what stays with me as the song fades.

Balance Lost – I have to say, even as someone for whom vocalising is not a particular strength [!] I think you fudge the verses. Obviously well done, but while you nail the choruses 100%, in the verses I can’t quite believe you believe the questions you are asking yourself. Or – have you ever asked yourself? Now I may be a massive idiot (quite likely) but while the music is brilliant, and you capture the funky mood, “same it ever was” in the original is the highpoint of self-loathing frustration at the world at large, and I’m not engaging with the louche take on it as much. All this said, this is an incredibly brave choice of song and you did not do it or yourself a disservice in choosing it so big kudos.

BSS – this strikes me as a remarkably faithful cover of one of my favourite TH songs – a song I’ve tried to cover at least once and given up because I don’t have the subtle range of Mr. Byrne. That lovely guitar play is a winner, and I think this more than does justice to the original. It could do with a (more) prominent synth to give it that dumb carnival / smart art angle that I think TH were all about, but damn, if you don’t give a hard kick to the Rothkos to a surprisingly hard TH song, so me likey. Even the more strangled moments give it everything and I can’t help but love it as a result.

DJ Ranger Den & Johnny Cashpoint – I won’t embarrass myself by posting the link to me attempting the lead vocal. Den nailed the vocal, bringing a more insouciant edge, and therefore a new, intriguing angle to it – the way she sings “Washington DC-e-e-e-e” and overall the brilliantly subtle theatricality she brings to her vocal performances made her the perfect collaborator for a TH cover … I also think our voices work remarkably well together. Everything else is my fault :)

Caravan Ray – now I’ve made very clear my apathy towards “remain in light” elsewhere so it was always going to be a stretch to make me like a cover of anything from the “we’re serious artists, actually” album :) You almost manage it, questions about the integrity of white afro-beat aside. Basically you’ve done a very good cover of a song that I’m not that fond of – so I don’t quite know what you could have done to make me absolutely love it. The arrangement as always is clever, intruiging and subtle. The vocal performance is top notch. But I will always blame this album for Vampire Weekend and their ilk. *shrug* :)

Glenny – in a weird counterpoint to Balance Lost – you nail the verses, but the chorus doesn’t quite have the impact Pete’s cover does – it’s as good and tuneful but it kind of disappears to these ears (on a crap, bass-light pair of speakers I should add) – you both get the groove on, but what I want to hear the two of you collaborating on this cover. That would be sparkly-fantastic. Also for me, neither of you quite nailed the legendary “same as it ever was” moment. Should be so much more sadness in the performance. Like BL, this is an incredibly brave choice – I would never dare tackle a signature tune unless I had it beat hands down, which makes you both better people than me.

The Kraken Wakes – Oh my, this is totes amaze balls. And not as some might think just because you’re playing the jr. card. The “young man” has timing and a sense of theatricality which nails that post-punk philosophy perfectly and makes me understand and enjoy far more what I've always considered a bland opener. Thank you, thank you, don’t even mention it. This rocks. [EDIT: Oh and on re-listen, meant to say that 8-bit-ish moment at 2.30ish is probably the peak moment, makes me happy happy joy joy, but you don't lose this listener beyond that point.]

Schlimminy – Oh god I love this song. I even like the Simply Red cover of it, that’s how much I love it. So you are in potentially difficult territory. But the charmingly lo-fi, downbeat take on it works for me very much. You capture the melody of the original without feeling the need to over-arrange it, which kind of captures my idea of heaven the idea perfectly, if you know what I mean. I’m not sure the delay on the vocals works *all* the time, but when it does, it works very well. I have my box of matches out, in a ironic but appreciative way, which is good, right? And it ends at just the right time.

Sapient Network & Johnny Cashpoint – I *did* say to Lunkhead, don’t include this if there are already dozens of ‘Psycho Killer’ covers – but if you’re going to do a signature tune, no point pussyfooting around with a reverential cover! Sapient is the most wonderful man, and no huge TH fan, but he brought the music and made me sound like a proper musician for once. (Those choruses are just me downshifted through a lo-fi filter by the way). I am proper proud of this, mainly because it does something different with the source material but retains (in my opinion) everything that made the original annoyingly great.

So excluding my own vanity,and the fact that these are all really good covers, and those still to come (I can't wait to hear what I know Niveous is working on, for instance), currently I am torn between The Kraken and Schlimminy ….
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

oops, for some reason i thought this was due the 6th. i'll finish mine up and submit soon.
-bill

Edit: sent. Sorry CRay, it's from Fear of Music.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Post by Albatross »

I have every intention of being in sometime this week. Don't let this thread die before then!

My entry will also be from Fear of Music. Sorry, CRay.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I got no problems with Fear of Music.
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Remain in Light and '77 are my favorite, but they don't have a bad album. I like them all, and love a lot of their songs. I don't understand Johnny's point about Remain in Light being more or less artful than the others. They're all art rock to me.
I'm excited for more tunes!!!

I'm hoping for I Zimbra! You can't go wrong though, any song will be appreciated!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I added the Heuristics Inc. song.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Listening to these now although I can't review at the moment.
Really liking Lunkhead's This Must Be the Place. I thought I might also link to the version of this that I did for GOM:
http://heuristicsinc.com/media/vocal/He ... ePlace.mp3
But Lunkhead's is better :)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS

Post by Albatross »

HeuristicsInc wrote:But Lunkhead's is better :)
-bill
I got a Lunkhead with bows in his hair, and nothing is better than that...is it?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Albatross wrote:
HeuristicsInc wrote:But Lunkhead's is better :)
-bill
I got a Lunkhead with bows in his hair, and nothing is better than that...is it?
Stop making sense
g_rock
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: drums, guitar, bass, synth, vocals
Recording Method: looper, h2 zoom, Protools
Submitting as: grock

Post by g_rock »

Im not in the fight and not really that familiar with TH catalog (but Ill comment anyway) but Lunkhead and C-ray really stand out to me.

Lunkhead-Wow. Professional. Enough said.

Balance lost-really faithful recreation. Good all around sound, an enjoyable listen.

BSS-Instrumentation is great; vocals sound a little loose to my ears.

DJ Ranger Den and Johnny Cashpoint- really made the song your own. Not trying too hard to sound like talking heads; just playing the song in your own voice. I like it.

caravanray-In a weird way kind of has a rusted root sound. Nice harmonies nice sound. Not being that familiar with TH, I listened to this side by side with the original and I honestly like yours track better than the original. I like your voice especially in this style.

Glenny- Slow groove, Nice vocal delivery, Chorus sounds flat in terms of energy. Sounds good all around but looses energy with noticable drop in vocal level and sparkle during the chorus.

The Kraken Lives- Good sound right away. That high voice throws me a little.

Schlimminy Cricket- Melodica or accordion? gentle vocal good all around. nice work.

snandjc- Metal remix. Very different than what I expected. But not bad. at first it caught me off guard but a fun tune. like the vocal effect in those spots. Bridge really breaks up the sound making the heavy parts feel heavier. Good guitar playing.

Heuristics Inc.-synth with delay is a little off at times. But overall feel is pretty good.
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS

Post by Albatross »

Looking to be in later this evening. DON'T LET THIS THREAD DIE WITHOUT ME IN IT

EDIT: OK, here it is. I will email to Lunkhead too.

Albatross covers Talking Heads' "Cities"
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Nice one! Added.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

We're up to 11 covers now, which is great. There are several people who expressed interest in participation from whom I have not received covers yet. Niveous, Jack, Spud, Generic, Roymond, Anti-M, Hoglen and Wages, Starfinger, etc. I'd love to hear your covers, whenever you have a chance to finish them.
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Albatross!
That was excellent! Well done!
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Lunkhead wrote:We're up to 11 covers now, which is great. There are several people who expressed interest in participation from whom I have not received covers yet. Niveous, Jack, Spud, Generic, Roymond, Anti-M, Hoglen and Wages, Starfinger, etc. I'd love to hear your covers, whenever you have a chance to finish them.
I emailed you my song two days ago. I guess you didn't get it. I'll put it on my website and then post up a link.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Oh, my mistake Niv, sorry about that. I see it now and I'll have your song up in a jiffy.

EDIT: Added! Now we've got an even dozen, hooray!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

All three *late* arrivals brought some fabulous stuff, and there will be reviews attached to my previous ones, but just to hesitate and say, Niveous, you just won the internet. That was just ... *bliss* to listen to. Cheers.

j$
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Better late than never.

Remember I suggested super band do Psycho Killer? Well here it is.

With Mr J$ on bass, and Ken and Andy Balham on the duelling drum kits, and me. (sorry Ken - even on your 2nd email - your guitars still came out as blank)

Psycho Killer - Conversing Craniums:

https://soundcloud.com/caravanray/psycho-killer