Because some of us can read.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

dave eggers

Post by fodroy »

so i just read you shall know our velocity!. i pretty much thought it was the best book i've ever read. as soon as the library gets a heartbreaking work... back, i'm checking it out.

anyone else read anything by eggers? (i'm sure someone has)

what do you think?
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

I've read A Heartbreaking Work... it was good, but not the best book I've ever read. The only Eggers book I've read.
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I was unmoved by 'A Heartbreaking Work ...' it was not as clever as it thought it was. As a result I haven't read anything else by him ...

(Heather, is your new avatar your scan? Cool)
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

Yep, that's our baby girl! We got one of those super cool 4D ultrasounds! :idea:

Yeah, the title of the book is a little misleading, it was neither heartbreaking nor genius, but I guess I would agree with stagering.
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

well, it's hard to live up to a title like that. i still want to give it a shot. i would definitely recommend you shall know our velocity! though. great book.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

don't know the first thing about eggers, but heather's avatar is awesome.
so cute.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Gemini6Ice
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Photoshop and Illustrator
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Gemini6Ice »

I read the literary mag <i>McSweeney's</i>, which Eggers is editor of.
chucky
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth

Post by chucky »

I read McSweeney's.. Which is either ingenius or just.. un-genius. Recently picked up "Created in Darkness by Troubled Americans", which is basically just a collection of McSweeney's' tidbits.

I read A Heartbreaking Work... a couple years ago; thought it was a pretty awesome book; but not awesome enough to live up to its title, of course. Then last year I read And You Shall Know Our Velocity; which was way better, but since I kind of knew what to expect, it didn't have the impact on me that it seemed to have on my friends. At the time I was working in a bookstore, and started recommending it to everybody.
I wouldn't discourage you from picking up A Heartbreaking Work.. but I'll tell you right now, Velocity was much, much better.

If you really like Eggers you should check out "Everything is Illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer. Kind of the same writing style as Eggers, but I liked this book a lot more. He has a new one out too, but the name escapes me. When I get some money I'll definitely pick it up.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

So far Created in Darkness... is really fun, but I haven't read too much of it, yet.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

i just finished a.h.w.o.s.g. and i don't understand what you guys don't like about it. whatever. to each their own. i think eggers rules. :roll:

there was no reason for me to include the rolly eyes guy in this post.
ddd
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by ddd »

YSKOV is such a great book.. definitely one of the all time best. Please don't name a song after it... I've one! :D

Read his short stories as well.. the ones that are 2 pages long are the best. When I first read them, it was cos I saw a book of them for only 2 quid and I bought it on an impulse. The style blew me away. He's such a good writer.

I'm reading his Mc Sweeney's compilations now.. the best of the short stories from his magazine. His site is great entertainment.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

yeah, how we are hungry is a pretty great book too. the story "after i was thrown in the river and before i drowned" is just a great story. i guess i prefer the longer, more developed stuff of his.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Heart Breaking Work of Staggering Genius-

My favorite book of all time. Though I can't say it's a completely objective opinion. People often told me to write a book about my life and my story. Then this book came out and it seems someone already had, who was a BRILLIANT writer. His insight was spot on. One of these days I'm going to have a drink with him. You see I lost my mother when I was 22 back in 1994 and somewhat lost my father too (to the mental hospital) which left Me 22, my sister 18, brother 16 to watch and raise our baby sister who was 6 at the time. We also found ourselves in The East Bay of the SF Bay area. So I completely related to the Dave and Toph dynamic, and since that book I often refer to my sister as Toph. Since I read that book it has not stopped traveling between friends who borrow it and love it.

You Shall Know Our Velocity is also Genius! I wish he would write more novels, he's about the best there is.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

glennny wrote:You Shall Know Our Velocity is also Genius! I wish he would write more novels, he's about the best there is.
I guess you haven't heard?
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

WOW! Thanks man! I actually heard he was working on a book about the lost boys of the Sudan , which it looks like this is. I was in Borders I guess 2 weekends ago and there was nothing new in the Eggars section.

Thanks again, I'm getting it today (if they have it).
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
ddd
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by ddd »

The new Modest Mouse album title is like an Eggers' short story title. It's gonna remind me of him forever:

'We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank'

Is 'What Is The What' good? I'd only be able to import it ($30 + postage, and it's a heavy-lookin' book!) and I'm not 100% I'd like it, even though it's by him...

Recommended?
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

ddd wrote:Is 'What Is The What' good? I'd only be able to import it ($30 + postage, and it's a heavy-lookin' book!) and I'm not 100% I'd like it, even though it's by him...

Recommended?
I haven't read it yet. Looking forward to it, but probably won't get a chance until summer. And I got it for $15 on amazon. Weird.
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

I picked it up shortly after I realised it existed. I haven't had a chance to read it yet. My wife immediately took it over, she's most of the way through it. (I'm reading the latest Christopher Moore). She says it's fantastic! She also says that it doesn't have as much of his voice as his previous works, but this is the best story he's told. I'm very excited to dive into it.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

ddd wrote: Is 'What Is The What' good? I'd only be able to import it ($30 + postage, and it's a heavy-lookin' book!) and I'm not 100% I'd like it, even though it's by him...

Recommended?
I'm only a little over 100 pages into it, but I love it. It's long--nearly 500 pages, but it's very easy reading. It's not designed to have his voice so much as the voice the of the person upon whose life it is based, but there are plenty Eggersisms that will have you wanting to dog-ear pages for later reference (or to steal and put into songs!).