house of leaves

Because some of us can read.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

I was very close to buying it. Might be next on my hit list. Expensive book however. Soon beefcake. Soon. :wink:
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

TheHipCola wrote: Thanks again JuteGyte!
anytime. now you can go to http://www.houseofleaves.com and check out all the hidden stuff they've found. anyone else reading, do NOT go there if you plan to read the book. it will totally spoil it, which would be very unfortunate.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

oooh...forgot about that. I specifically avoided that site while reading....thanks JG!

Have you ever read the companion work from the same author?
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

TheHipCola wrote:oooh...forgot about that. I specifically avoided that site while reading....thanks JG!

Have you ever read the companion work from the same author?
no, i haven't. if i understand correctly, it's just a collection of all johnny's mother's letters, with some extra ones exclusive to that book. i'm wary of it because i've never heard it mentioned as essential on houseofleaves.com, and always kind of thought it seemed like a thinly-veiled attempt to cash in on the original book's success. if you read it and find that i'm mistaken, let me know.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

heh...that's kind of what my take was on it as well, and as such it will likely not ever grace my bookshelf.

unless, like you, someone tells me different.

:)
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Us singers and crative types might find this interesting: Mark Z. Danielewski is finally publishing the follow-up to House of Leaves this October. The new book is called Only Revolutions, and MZD is hosting open Internet auditions for people to play the two main characters in the audiobook:

http://www.houseofleaves.com/forum/show ... php?t=4460

I discovered this when I bought the recently-published full-color edition of House of Leaves, which contains both red and blue print, purple in the one instance where the text calls for it, and full-color illustrations in the back. But not, sadly, the Braille.

By the way, I read the book about nine months ago when I wasn't really hanging around here. And yeah, it's awesome.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

This book was a good one-night-stand, but I wouldn't marry it.

(In other words, thought it was fluffy, fun, and all-round an enjoyable read...but rumors of its depth are greatly overstated!)

--Em
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

A followup? Awesome. I thought this book was such a mindf@#, I almost expect to be disappointed by any further messing with it. But I'll buy it anyhow. :)
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

It's not a sequel to House of Leaves, just his most recent novel. It's a lot denser than House. Good luck with it!
jute gyte
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

jute gyte wrote:It's not a sequel to House of Leaves, just his most recent novel. It's a lot denser than House. Good luck with it!

yyyah. No kidding there, huh? Just bought it...kind of intimidated. I think I'm gonna put on the bedside table and just look at it for awhile, until it's ego gets itself in check. THEN I'll start reading it.

heh...I'm such a chickenshit, (remembering how arduous HoL was at times), I bought a magazine at the same time so I have something else to read while I work up the gumption....

Looking forward to it, yo.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

yah, it's making my head hurt. I'm not really sure what I'm reading. It's a strange sensation to soldier on in reading something you suspect you are missing the point of...., hoping that the bit that explains everything is just around the corner of the next page....

full points for creative presentation, though!