Steve Martin

Because some of us can read.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Steve Martin

Post by jimtyrrell »

I got the book Born Standing Up on CD a few weeks ago. It's a memoir, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. And Steve Martin's comedy act is funnier to me now that I understand better what he was tring to do with it.

It compelled me to borrow one of his works of fiction from the local library. They had The Pleasure Of His Company on CD, and I listened to it this weekend in the car. I gotta say, I really had a good time listening to it. It may have been to my benefit that I read the memoir first, though. Otherwise, I might have expected a book of madcap hilarity. This story is indeed absurd, but in a very grounded way. Martin did an excellent job of getting me to understand, and even relate to, a cripplingly insane person. (Insert easy joke here.)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Steve Martin

Post by Caravan Ray »

jimtyrrell wrote:I got the book Born Standing Up on CD a few weeks ago. It's a memoir, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. And Steve Martin's comedy act is funnier to me now that I understand better what he was tring to do with it.

It compelled me to borrow one of his works of fiction from the local library. They had The Pleasure Of His Company on CD, and I listened to it this weekend in the car. I gotta say, I really had a good time listening to it. It may have been to my benefit that I read the memoir first, though. Otherwise, I might have expected a book of madcap hilarity. This story is indeed absurd, but in a very grounded way. Martin did an excellent job of getting me to understand, and even relate to, a cripplingly insane person. (Insert easy joke here.)
Yes - I read one his novels ages ago - can't remember title - but it was very funny. I suppose funny was to be expected, but it was a far better novel than I was expecting. My wife recently bought "Born Standing Up" - but I haven't read it yet.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Re: Steve Martin

Post by Niveous »

After a long strange car trip this weekend, I earned the nickname "Mr. Martin". My brother in law thus got the nickname "Mr. Candy".
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost