Graphic Novels

Because some of us can read.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

i'd like to point out that the garth ennis run on 'punisher' fucking owns.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

Generic wrote:Maus.
i just read part I of "maus." goooood stuff.

that is all.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I discovered a rather cool little graphic novel on holiday - La Parejita, which by my best loose translation I think means 'The Cute Couple' (if I am right, it actually translates as the Little Couple but I think it's meant a term of endearment.) It's a collection of weekly strips from El Jueves ('Thursdays', comes out on Wednesdays, a broad satire/humour mag in the vein of 'Fluide Glaciale' or to a leser extent 'Viz'.) This strip is the best thing in it.

My Spanish ain't that great, but it's enough for me to get the overall impression and even then, I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than a lot of comics I have read for a long time. In equal amounts cute and cynical, it's entirely about a couple who share a flat. I reccommend it if a) you speak Spanish to even a limited extent b) like on the surface light humour and c) can find it anywhere, I guess...

prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

The Goon and The Walking Dead are, in my oppinion, the two best books going right now.

I also love me some Y, Fables (though I have yet to read the newest trade), and Plastic Man.

Bendis' New Avengers have been a very pleasent surprise this year, as is the excellent Sentry series that started 2 months ago. Jodss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men also continues to impress. Alex Rosses' Justice limited series for DC is also excellent, as is the Batman/Superman ongoing series. We 3 is also excellent, though very short.

My all time faves are The Maxx (Sam Kieth still stands as my favorite artist), Sandman, Watchmen, Asto City, Maus, Animal Man, and the entire Sin City collection. I think there is a very clear reason these are reguarded as classics.
White people, is you funky?
Tonamel
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Tonamel »

Let's see... what hasn't meen mentioned...

Transmetropolitan

Grant Morrison's run of Doom Patrol

Bone

100 Bullets

And I have to second Astro City, Planetary, Fables, Y: The Last Man, and all of Jhonen Vasquez's stuff.

I haven't read Goon yet. Need to do that.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

You know what was good? Sam & Max. I don't know if that counts as "graphic novel" or just "comic book". While I'm at it, has Milk & Cheese been mentioned? The "noun and noun" formula seems to produce good results.
Let cake eat them.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I would like to see a Marvel/DC Team-up between Ambush Bug and Forbush Man. Oh and Howard the Duck in there too. Against an evil 80 ft high Plastic Man.

I'm serious.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote:Viz
Viz has warped my mind. I sometimes think in a Geordie accent - which is weird because even though I was born in Newcastle - it's the wrong one - Newcastle-upon-Hunter, not Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Roger Mellie (the Man on the Telly) is my role model in life