Tricky Dick and the Man in Black

Blab about the Boob Tube.
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

Tricky Dick and the Man in Black

Post by AJOwens »

I just watched this one-hour Netflix documentary, about how Richard Nixon accidentally made Johnny Cash "sing of the times" (that's this week's fight title). And did he ever! Stay with it, even if (or maybe especially if) you have an aversion to Johnny Cash. You'll be rewarded not only with insight into this remarkable man, but also with his live performance, in front of Nixon, of the incendiary "What Is Truth."

Until today I did not know this song existed, and I don't understand why it isn't more widely heard. Even today, it's perfect for anyone who wants to sing of the times.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: Tricky Dick and the Man in Black

Post by Lunkhead »

Wow, that is cool. I'll have to check that out. Deep Throat said the current title was just a riff on "Sign of the Times", and was not proposed with any knowledge of that Johnny Cash song.
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Re: Tricky Dick and the Man in Black

Post by AJOwens »

I just meant that Cash was singing of the times. I have a habit of drawing tenuous connections -- by way of segue, sort of. He didn't write a song called "Sing of the Times." But if you have Netflix, I recommend checking out the documentary.

Apparently it's part of a series called [EDIT] "Remastered." I'll have to find out more about that.