ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Jessica Jones

Post by ken »

I binge watched this over the weekend. Netflix makes the Marvel universe so gritty and dark. I don't really remember Marvel comics being like that. I think this series does a good job of almost making the unrealistic seem plausible. I see a few big glaring issues with it, but overall, a good watch, and a good companion to Daredevil.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: Jessica Jones

Post by Lunkhead »

Jessica Jones was a relatively recently created character whose comic was the first on a new Marvel "sub-publisher" type thing, which they set out to be R-rated, with cursing and sex. So this Netflix Marvel show is probably closer to the tone of the original comic than Daredevil. Daredevil did start to get pretty dark shortly before I stopped collecting comics, though.

I'm looking forward to checking this show out even though I think it will give me nightmares.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Marvel goes through phases with dark stuff. Spider-Man has had some ridiculously gritty times, not to mention parts of the X-Men universe. I remember the mid-to-late 90s being really abysmal (which was also about when I stopped reading mainstream comic books with any regularity).

I mean Marvel's never had anything on DC in terms of that but they've definitely had their moments.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

The early Jessica Jones comics were very dark & gritty (and included one of comics' most infamous sex scenes) so the feel of the Netflix show is in keeping with the tone. I'm 8 episodes in and I'm greatly enjoying it. It's a different look at what a world full of super heroes and villains would be like.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Whew. That was really really well done but pretty hard to get through, at least for me. I think they did a great job of making the idea of mind control pretty terrifying. There was one episode that seemed like a complete dud and waste of time but I'm guessing it was there to give the audience a breather. Also the ending was a bit anticlimactic but I don't know how they could have handled that better.

I'm very curious to see what they do next season. I don't know much about Jessica Jones but it seemed like Killgrave was a pivotal villain from her canon so what do they do now ... ?

Similarly I don't know a lot about Luke Cage. I'm curious to see what kind of story arc they come up with for his first season as they've already covered some important ground and character development in Jessica Jones.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Season 2 arrived a while back. We have been very very slowly watching it, two episodes left. There is a huge void left where Killgrave and Luke Cage were. I think Killgrave was easily one of the best villains of the MCU (not that there is a lot of competition, besides Loki and Kingpin and maybe Hela). Overall this season has felt like it's just lacking in oomph. Marvel Netflix's mediocre streak starting with Luke Cage and possibly excepting The Punisher continues I guess.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Finished Season 2. A big final let down at the end of a big let down season. Doh! Better luck next time maybe? It felt like the plotting took an even bigger node dive in the final few episodes, with character all of sudden behaving in totally uncharacteristic ways that conveniently for the writers wrapped up some loose ends and/or pushed events toward a weak conclusion. Ugh.